Author Topic: An interesting analysis  (Read 1123 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
An interesting analysis
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/14/trumps-new-reality-republicans-and-democrats-are-both-finished.html

If the entrenched two-party system is dead, I can't wait to attend the wake. If I knew that George Washington opposed political parties, I had forgotten it so long ago that I don't remember ever knowing it. But I agree. The issue of the failings of and problems with a two-party system was a subject on which my father and I were never able to agree, to a point where long before he died we had reached an unspoken agreement to simply not even approach the discussion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: An interesting analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
If Mattis and the death of both parties is all Trump does I still say elect him for three terms. In the interest of credit where credit is due, the Democrats had the perfect foil to contrast to as they rebuilt into a party of responsible adults with a real message. And the Republicans? Two branches of government nailed down, a chance to put a big stamp on the third, most of the state houses red, here it is, the golden opportunity to do all those wonderful small government things we talked about! Well, we all know how that is going to go down. So in fairness, it is more like suicide, Trump just left the vodka, sleeping pills, and gun laying around.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
The two-party system isn't dead. Throughout our history two have always dominated. Third parties have always existed, but two have always dominated. Whenever one weakens another one replaces it. Maybe it could happen if we moved back to where the second place winner becomes the Vice President. Did a paper on it for my Federal government class.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
The problem is that lotsa parties guarantee nothing, Israel and Germany showing how much coalition government sucks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:27:06 AM »
Our system of elections and government structure pretty well ensures that no more than 2 parties can have significant levels of representation.  The European systems pretty well ensure a multitude of parties that then have to form coalitions to be able to reach a majority in any legislative body.

Both systems suck.  But they suck less than dictatorships, most of the time.

"Democracy (or Constitutional Republicanism if you prefer - ed.) is the worst political system out there, except for all the others."  Winston Churchill

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
If Mattis and the death of both parties is all Trump does I still say elect him for three terms. In the interest of credit where credit is due, the Democrats had the perfect foil to contrast to as they rebuilt into a party of responsible adults with a real message. And the Republicans? Two branches of government nailed down, a chance to put a big stamp on the third, most of the state houses red, here it is, the golden opportunity to do all those wonderful small government things we talked about! Well, we all know how that is going to go down. So in fairness, it is more like suicide, Trump just left the vodka, sleeping pills, and gun laying around.

I agree.  The complete failure of the Republican Party is repulsive in the extreme.  Trump has revealed them for the crooked liars that they are.