Author Topic: Translation please from ad speak to english  (Read 1782 times)

griz

• friend
Translation please from ad speak to english
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
Watching NASCAR and they mentioned that Smithfield donated some large amount of protein to hurricane relief.  Not meat, not pork, but protein.  I'm thankful for any useful donation, but does anybody know what that means exactly?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Translation please from ad speak to english
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

I think McDonalds won that lawsuit.

As to the original question, Smithfield mainly produces pork products, but they also have some chicken products.  Anyway, "protein" is the current buzzword du jour.  It started in the restaurant industry and has spread out to the mainstream.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
So it's just a buzzword to avoid saying the word meat?  I guess if they slipped a soybean in there somewhere they could honestly assure PETA that meat isn't the only thing they offer.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »

As to the original question, Smithfield mainly produces pork products, but they also have some chicken products.  Anyway, "protein" is the current buzzword du jour.  It started in the restaurant industry and has spread out to the mainstream.

Those devious, scurrilous bastards!

So they donate pork products, disguised under the moniker "protein." Any Muslims in the receiving line either can't eat the stuff, or if they eat it they've sold their souls. The whole donation is obviously an anti-Muslim plot!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
I only knew this started in the restaurant industry because of my embarrassing guilty pleasure of watching Gordon Ramsey yell at people.

I do now wonder though, if it was started just to sound fancy or to avoid damaging the precious sensibilities of the "clientele" at fancy restaurants who don't want to know where their "protein" comes from. 
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
Maybe they actually just meant protein?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:53:51 PM »

I do now wonder though, if it was started just to sound fancy or to avoid damaging the precious sensibilities of the "clientele" at fancy restaurants who don't want to know where their "protein" comes from. 

Not just fancy restaurants.

If you say you're serving "chicken," you pretty much have to serve chicken. If you say you're serving white meat chicken, you'd better serve white meat chicken, and nothing else. Just about anything that comes from a mammalian critter constitutes "protein," though, so by calling it "protein" you can include all kinds of stuff that most people wouldn't ever want to ingest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Meal replacement mix (AKA Ensure, Muscle Milk, protein "bulking powder", etc.). Likely some form of soy or whey protein.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »
I guess technically, the Fancy Feast cat paste our feline freeloaders consume would count as "protein".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 11:47:10 PM »
Meal replacement mix (AKA Ensure, Muscle Milk, protein "bulking powder", etc.). Likely some form of soy or whey protein.

Brad

Could be peanut-based, as well. Peanut butter/peanut-butter-like-substances are often used for treating emergency malnutrition cases in disaster areas and third world countries.

E.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy'nut
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:41:08 AM »
I usually inject "Protein is protein" whenever the discussion turns to survival foods.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »
When I see "protein" on menus in restaurants, it's typically shorthand for your choice of any meat or meat substitute they offer.

For example, at Noodles & Co, you can get your noodles without protein or with.  There, Protein is chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, and tofu.  

It's not some nefarious plot to get us all eating soylent green. ;/

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »
"It's not some nefarious plot to get us all eating soylent green."

But I LIKE their soylent teriyaki bowl!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.