Author Topic: Plane vs (two) Elk  (Read 878 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Plane vs (two) Elk
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
I was gonna say that a plane/elk collision is something you don't hear about everyday, but from the article, deer, at least, smack into planes pretty frequently, considering.

https://articles.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/09/small_plane_slams_into_2_elk_a.amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Plane vs (two) Elk
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
We cusinarted a deer on landing at NADC (Naval Air Development Center) Warminster (PA) one evening. By the time we saw it on roll out it was too late to stop or even think about going around. It made quite the mess on the plane. At least we were able to fly the plane the next day, after a trip to the wash rack. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »
We cusinarted a deer on landing at NADC (Naval Air Development Center) Warminster (PA) one evening. By the time we saw it on roll out it was too late to stop or even think about going around. It made quite the mess on the plane. At least we were able to fly the plane the next day, after a trip to the wash rack. ;)

bob

Did you even feel it in that beast you flew in?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
Did you even feel it in that beast you flew in?  :laugh:

Not really, we saw it, heard the parts hit the fuselage and saw the red mist as the pilot yanked the power levers back to full reverse. I wish we would have had smart phones or digital cameras back then to document things on the fly. The Safety officer came out and took pictures but who knows where they are now, some archive somewhere.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
^^^This is what happens when the deer ignore the signs: Be aware of jet blast, propellers and rotors.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
E-2 squadron attached to my first ship had a set of Bambi hooves stenciled on the plane, only Hawkeye with a confirmed kill. The pictures were quite a mess, almost as much of a mess as the pictures of the guy's head parts some of which made it up to the O-7 level. Probably just my experiences, but I am pretty nonchalant about jets, stay away from the intake, other than that I have been all over them and under them while running, to include full burner. Best part is standing in the edge of the exhaust plume on a cold morning. I don't mind helps as long as I understand how their head is coupled and how low it can dip and where. But props absolutely terrify me. To hear an E-2 turning and moving in the dark and you can't see it? No thanks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »
Pilot was a hangar neighbor of my best friend.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
Did that article make anyone else interested in a roadairstrip kill elk burger? Or am I just hungry...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
Article I saw (might be different from link in OP) said they salvaged as much meat as they could and donated it to a food bank.