Author Topic: Student shot at Georgia Tech  (Read 6632 times)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Student shot at Georgia Tech
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:06 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/19/georgia-tech-3-arrested-as-protest-turns-violent-after-police-shooting.html

a mentally disturbed gender confused student advanced on police with what appeared to be a knife.  When ordered to drop the item, the student said 'shoot me', and kept coming.  The police did just that.  Now there are upset parents, rioting students, and chaos. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Student shot at Georgia Tech
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
Predictably, the mother is complaining that the police should have used a taser, yada, yada.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
It would appear that the campus police aren't issued tasers so they didn't even have that option.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
I'm shocked to discover that the head of the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ group at a major university may have also had other mental problems.

(From another article, "Scout" was the head and had a preferred pronoun of "they.")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
LMAO at y'all, thanks.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Predictably, the mother is complaining that the police should have used a taser, yada, yada.
I guess it is too late to complain about their child using a knife and charging police. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
I read an article a while ago, about a number of murders and assaults committed by "trans" people. Of course, when I search for it now, I only get results about "transphobic" violence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
I'm shocked to discover that the head of the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ group at a major university may have also had other mental problems.

(From another article, "Scout" was the head and had a preferred pronoun of "they.")

I was seriously considering changing back to my original nom de plume.   Now, it might be a while longer....I'm so confused....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
I was seriously considering changing back to my original nom de plume.   Now, it might be a while longer....I'm so confused....

Seems like Scout is pretty appropriate, then.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »

That's because "Scout" did not identify with having gender. Please note that I didn't say "a" gender -- it didn't identify with gender.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
Noted that on HLN this morning they kept saying he had "folding pliers" or a "utility tool" in his hand.  Are we now spinning multi-tools so they don't sound threatening?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
Noted that on HLN this morning they kept saying he had "folding pliers" or a "utility tool" in his hand.  Are we now spinning multi-tools so they don't sound threatening?

??? I didn't know "multi-tool" was threatening. You'd prefer they call them assault pliers?  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »

??? I didn't know "multi-tool" was threatening. You'd prefer they call them assault pliers?  =)
Someone could inflict fairly serious bodily injury with a pair of pliers.  Not sure about multi-tool pliers, but probably. 

Why should cops be required to go hand to hand with nutty people like this?  If the cops had instead pulled out clubs and beat the hell out of them, I bet the parents would still be pissed at the cops instead of their child's behavior. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »

The reason I point this out is when I first heard the story, it said the kid had a knife.  Then, the descriptions I heard this morning seemed to be downplaying the knife angle to the point where it caught my attention.  Just wondering if this is deliberate spin or not...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
The reason I point this out is when I first heard the story, it said the kid had a knife.  Then, the descriptions I heard this morning seemed to be downplaying the knife angle to the point where it caught my attention.  Just wondering if this is deliberate spin or not...

One of the stories* I read is that the Leatherman (or whatnot) didn't have the knife deployed. If true, while the kid DID technically have a knife, it takes some of the immediacy away from the threat.  That might be why they are attempting to downplay the "multi-tool" angle.

*I think that came from a "lawyer for the family", and can't find the cite right now, so take it with a whole salt lick.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »
All this frivolity is sure gonna piss off Micro Balrog!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »

??? I didn't know "multi-tool" was threatening. You'd prefer they call them assault pliers?  =)

Each of the Gerber and Leatherman multitools that I've had over the years have had a large blade that was very sharp when new.  It could easily qualify as a weapon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Ok. Weird. I was talking about the term, not the object.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
All this frivolity is sure gonna piss off Micro Balrog!

HALE SATIN?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »
Let anyone - even a trans student - have their way with you using a multi tool, and you can really end up getting screwed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »
Let anyone - even a trans student - have their way with you using a multi tool, and you can really end up getting screwed.

Or have your cork popped.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »

Philips or slotted.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
Philips or slotted.

African or European?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
If you have even an hour or two of training in using a kubotan/yawara as an impact weapon, most multi-tools become a much more damaging weapon closed than with the knife blade out.  The sort of thing you learn when you mention to sensei that you can't carry a gun at work but always have your multi tool.  The cops have no way of knowing whether it has that skill or not.

For that matter, there are at least a few cheap multi tools based on a hammer, which would be even more dangerous with or without training.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
People, these were cops. If they see a day-old kitten in your hand, they treat it like a deadly weapon.