Author Topic: Windows (MS) question  (Read 1226 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windows (MS) question
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »
Back is the halcyon days of MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, it was possible to put a folder on the desktop and to then put subfolders and/or files into that desktop folder.

Can that be done with Windoze 7?

I'm working on a set of PDFs that will be documents I refer to frequently, so I'd like to have desktop shortcuts to them rather than have to go rummaging around through the directory tree in Windows Explorer. However, there are enough of them that arraying them on individually my desktop would make for a cluttered environment. If I could have one desktop icon, that would in turn open up a folder containing the other files, that would (I think) be a workable setup.

Except that I don't even know if that's possible. If it is possible, I sure don't know how to do it. Anybody know the answer?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Windows (MS) question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »
Right click... New... Folder

Then do the same in the window of the new folder.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
Or if the folders are already made, drag the main folder to the desktop and then just start plopping the other folders into it. Easy peasy.

Though for clarity, you seem to be both asking if you can store your folders on the desktop and also if you can create a shortcut on the desktop to the stored folders in another location on your drive. Both are possible. Which do you want to do?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
For a shortcut you can right click on the PDF select send to then select desktop and a shortcut will appear on your desktop that you can then drag into your folder.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Though for clarity, you seem to be both asking if you can store your folders on the desktop and also if you can create a shortcut on the desktop to the stored folders in another location on your drive. Both are possible. Which do you want to do?

Quote from: adively
For a shortcut you can right click on the PDF select send to then select desktop and a shortcut will appear on your desktop that you can then drag into your folder.

I know how to right click on the desktop to create a new folder or a new shortcut. When I create a folder [icon] on my desktop, when I open that it doesn't take me to a panel displaying an array of shortcuts to the files I want, it just opens a copy of Windows Explorer that already drilled down to the folder with my files in it. That works, but it's aesthetically and logically unappealing. It's jumping from a graphical interface into what is essentially a textual, analog interface before getting to the particular file I want.

The way it used to work in Windows 3.1 was that you could have a folder on the primary desktop. Opening that folder opened a graphical window with the icons or shortcuts for the programs in that folder displayed graphically, much the same as if you open Windows Control Panel and choose to view large icons. In other words, no split pane, and no directory tree, just a display of the icons for the programs (or documents) in that folder.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
Back is the halcyon days of MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, it was possible to put a folder on the desktop and to then put subfolders and/or files into that desktop folder.

I think you're wrong on that.  Win 3.1 was actually a pretty stupid interface.

Can that be done with Windoze 7?

Uh, yeah.

I'm working on a set of PDFs that will be documents I refer to frequently, so I'd like to have desktop shortcuts to them rather than have to go rummaging around through the directory tree in Windows Explorer. However, there are enough of them that arraying them on individually my desktop would make for a cluttered environment. If I could have one desktop icon, that would in turn open up a folder containing the other files, that would (I think) be a workable setup.

Except that I don't even know if that's possible. If it is possible, I sure don't know how to do it. Anybody know the answer?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »
I think you're wrong on that.  Win 3.1 was actually a pretty stupid interface.

It was pretty stupid, but I know it did what I have in mind. I never knew how to replicate it, but several applications I installed set themselves up that way.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
So, you've got the Desktop folder created and have populated it with shortcuts to the files you want to access, yes?

Have you tried changing the View for that folder?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
I know how to right click on the desktop to create a new folder or a new shortcut. When I create a folder [icon] on my desktop, when I open that it doesn't take me to a panel displaying an array of shortcuts to the files I want, it just opens a copy of Windows Explorer that already drilled down to the folder with my files in it. That works, but it's aesthetically and logically unappealing. It's jumping from a graphical interface into what is essentially a textual, analog interface before getting to the particular file I want.

The way it used to work in Windows 3.1 was that you could have a folder on the primary desktop. Opening that folder opened a graphical window with the icons or shortcuts for the programs in that folder displayed graphically, much the same as if you open Windows Control Panel and choose to view large icons. In other words, no split pane, and no directory tree, just a display of the icons for the programs (or documents) in that folder.

You need to change the view options for explorer. Use "icons" or "large icons" and get rid of the side toolbar.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
You need to change the view options for explorer. Use "icons" or "large icons" and get rid of the side toolbar.

Can I do that only for that one folder? I don't want to turn off the left pane directory tree when I want to use Windows Explorer -- and I don't navigate by icons, I navigate using the "Details" option.

[Update] No, it appears that if I change that folder's view settings it affects opening Windows Explorer directly.

I think a better option is going to be for me to learn how to create a PDF with images in it, and turn each image into a link to the document it represents. I know it can be done -- I've seen a documents package that used that for navigation from a "Welcome" page -- but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Time to learn, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:09:39 PM by Hawkmoon »