Author Topic: Firefly at 15  (Read 943 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Firefly at 15
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Hollywood Reporter, so there might be some popups, but I think it's well worth it for a really good cast interview (missing Mal, Inara, and douchewhedon).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/firefly-at-15-how-a-canceled-show-became-a-cult-favorite-1040829
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Firefly at 15
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
Amazing that it's been 15 years. Of all the Fox blunders, this is probably their worst.

Imagine, they could have had the equivalent of Star Wars or the Star Trek Universes (ok, galaxies, but still). If not that big, Stargate, then. (You know, with only 4 or is it 5? spinoffs) Can you think of all the possibilities for spinoffs and other in-universe movies?

Telling the story of the War. Telling the stories of the migration from Earth That Was. Pull a switch and get a view from the Alliance. "Firefly, the Next Generation"

Instead, they killed the goose that could have laid the golden eggs.

What's particularly galling is no one has even tried. They have that much of an audience that would at least give such a thing a chance and for 15 years, they've decided to go with a decade and a half of crap.

Sarah Connor Chronicles? Dollhouse? Gotham? This gorram "Orville" show?

Great vision Fox. How do you stay in business?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Firefly at 15
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »
Yeah, but on the plus side, think about how many more women Whedon would/could have raped convinced to have sex with him for a part on one of those shows, that weren't....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:50 AM »
Just rewatched Serenity. 15 years (ok, 12) and it's still better than anything Hollywood puts out now.

Wash's death still hits home. 12 years, knowing it's going to happen, and knowing it's a fictional character, but it still affects me.

About the only things that are comparable are the movies based on real events. And they have to borrow on the knowledge that their plots represent real people's suffering and struggle to be as poiniant.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought