Author Topic: I feel like the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street  (Read 1323 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I feel like the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
"I believe, I believe ..."

I don't want to believe that people could be this stupid, but I guess they really are, so I have to force myself to believe it. The parents of a guy who attempted an armed robbery of a Starbuck's (armed with a toy --but real-looking -- gun) are talking about suing the good Samaritan who took down their son because he used "excessive force."

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Starbucks-robbery-crime-stabbing-Good-Samaritan-12213420.php

Flores's mother, Pamela Chimienti, described Jerri's actions as "excessive force" and told KSEE that Flores planned to file a lawsuit.

"The guy, in my opinion, went from a Good Samaritan to a vigilante," Chimienti told the broadcast news station. "Stabbing somebody that many times, it doesn't take that many stab wounds to get somebody to succumb to you."

Just ... wrong, Madam.

Flores's father, Mark Flores, told the Fresno Bee, "I understand he (Ryan Flores) robbed the store but (Jerri) stabbed my son 17 times."

When I took Advanced Expository Writing in college, the professor told us to be VERY careful about using the word "but," because when you use "but" it instantly negates whatever precedes it in the sentence. So what Daddy dearest is saying is, "It's not important that my son was committing armed robbery, when he pulled a knife and cut this guy, the guy had no right to defend himself."

Here's the security video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdqW8wbjInY

I also noticed (again) that the mother of the perpetrator doesn't seem to have the same name as the father. (Just sayin')
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: I feel like the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
The good Samaritan's mistake was not hitting the guy a helluva lot harder with the chair at the beginning.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
I noticed two things:

First:  The bad guy continues to fight back and try to get up all the way through that video and, from the blood spatter, for a while after the stabbing commenced.  If he's still trying to get up a valid case can be made that he's still a threat.  Stab until the threat is neutralized.

Second:  This quote from mommy dearest.
Chimienti told the broadcast news station. "Stabbing somebody that many times, it doesn't take that many stab wounds to get somebody to succumb to you."

Exactly how many folks have you stabbed to submission, Ma'am?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Shut up, woman. Unless you're apologizing to the man who stabbed your son half-to-death, and the other people he tried to terrorize, shut your mouth. Be glad your cretinous offspring is still alive.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
I notice the criminal was stabbed by his own knife that he additionally brought in case someone noticed his gun was fake.

And, which he repeatedly tried to use to stab the good Samaritan.

I'm finding my sympathy lacking.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
The video is somewhat blocked by the table, I think the 30 y/o man robbing the store probably stabbed himself multiple times in all of the flailing around. Yea, that's it, he was attempting suicide to keep from going to jail. That's my take on it. ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/J6FkWzXbeHI
Here is another youtube commentary from Active Self Protection.

Define stabbing:  I tend to assume "stabbed 17 times" means he got the knife stuck in all the way 17 times, BUT does it just mean he had 17 cuts of all types?  That isn't that much considering it wasn't a real short fight.

That said, the guy was struggling and he still had what the good samaritan thought was a gun also.  The crook could have run out of the store as soon as the old guy attacked him, but he decided to fight.  It also looks like he was very close to stabbing that knife deep in the old guy's neck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
The main thing the old guy did wrong IMO is he wasn't carrying a gun and didn't shoot the guy instead of going after him with a chair. 

I guess in Texas now he could have pulled out his Bowie knife also.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:18:21 PM »
The main thing the old guy did wrong IMO is he wasn't carrying a gun and didn't shoot the guy instead of going after him with a chair. 

I guess in Texas now he could have pulled out his Bowie knife also.   =D

Did Texas just change their ridiculous knife laws?  (specifically outlawed a "Bowie knife" without defining the term)  Jim Bowie can finally rest in peace.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

California.

Even though in Fresno I would imagine they frown on lawfully armed citizens there as much as SF or LA. :(

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
Cuts vs stabs is a good point.

I'll also bring up the age difference as a good defense. If the young  guy keeps fighting, in general he'll get more and more of an advantage just from endurance capability (Again, in general. Lots of out of shape young guys).

I'll also bring up the old saw, "Never fight an old guy. We fight dirty and got nothin' to lose"

On the gun, Fresno is pretty much shall issue once you jump the state hoops. I think either they or kern county have the most ccws in the,state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
California.

Even though in Fresno I would imagine they frown on lawfully armed citizens there as much as SF or LA. :(

bob

Compared to the rest of Calilfornia, Fresno County is fairly CCW-friendly:

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/01/11/fresno-country-sheriff-praises-concealed-carry-after-armed-citizen-staves-off-attack-robbery/
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »
Did Texas just change their ridiculous knife laws?  (specifically outlawed a "Bowie knife" without defining the term)  Jim Bowie can finally rest in peace.

So that means a USMC Ka-Bar is A-Okay, right?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »

So that means a USMC Ka-Bar is A-Okay, right?

I think at a minimum it should be a CPO Cutlass. ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
Did Texas just change their ridiculous knife laws?  (specifically outlawed a "Bowie knife" without defining the term)  Jim Bowie can finally rest in peace.
Yes.  And it went into effect 9/1/17.  Essentially anything under 5.5 inches there is statewide preemption.  Above that, I think local cities can still limit you but I don't know the full story on that.  It also got rid of the general restrictions on bowie knives, dirks, etc.  So you can open carry a big knife or sword in most places which is what the news/left was trying to say.  I am sure my description is limited and poor.  Knife Rights probably has some better links.  Here is one.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-texas-illegal-knives-repeal-enactment/

I think Knife Rights was going to do a celebratory bowie knife event at the Alamo, but I think it was postponed or limited due to Harvey.  Makes me not regret the money I have sent that group in the last two years.

Edit:  I noticed the link said it included legalizing spears also.  Just in time for your Dress like a Hoplite event. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
I think at a minimum it should be a CPO Cutlass. ;)

bob
A cutlass would have been good for pirate day.