Author Topic: Deaf man shot, killed by police in OKC  (Read 1149 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Deaf man shot, killed by police in OKC
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-killed-by-police-in-se-okc-tuesday/article/5564788

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/us/oklahoma-city-police-shooting-deaf.html

I have seen references to this story in a few different places.  People are making a big deal about the person being deaf.  A couple of the articles have lots of witness statements about neighbors trying to yell at police that he was deaf and they shouldn't shoot him.  Honestly, It sucks that he was shot, but I am not sure what they expected to happen.  
The man, Madgiel Sanchez, was shot around 8:15 p.m. outside his home soon after the police responded there to investigate a hit-and-run accident. The first officer to arrive called for backup, pulled out his Taser and ordered Mr. Sanchez, 35, who was on his front porch, to drop the two-foot-long pipe he was clutching, the police said.

The officer’s commands did not register with Mr. Sanchez. He ambled off the porch toward the officer, waving the pipe in his right hand, according to the police and a witness.

He was approaching two police officers with a 2 foot pipe in his hand.  Not just police officers, but armed police officers who were pointing weapons at him.  That isn't normal.   The article says he carried the pipe everywhere and waved it around while talking to people all the time.  I find that odd, but I don't see why the officers are expected to just allow him to approach them.  Perhaps if they had a better non-lethal weapon themselves (like a night stick), they would have taken him down that way.  I am sure the headline then would be that OKC police beat up an innocent deaf man.

I would note the article says he wasn't the one who did the hit and run.  That was his father who was in the house.  One article I saw mentioned he had no criminal record they could locate which made me wonder about his immigration status.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Deaf man shot, killed by police in OKC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:13:30 PM »
This is no doubt a part of Trump's plan to weed out the disabled.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:22:21 AM »
The article says he carried the pipe everywhere and waved it around while talking to people all the time.

Sounds like he was lucky to survive this long.  Approach me waving a very potentially deadly impact weapon, and I'm not going to assume it's just your little eccentricity.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
He was approaching two police officers with a 2 foot pipe in his hand.  Not just police officers, but armed police officers who were pointing weapons at him.  That isn't normal.

Nope, that isn't normal.  Having a uniformed police office pointing a gun at you is American Sign Language for "don't move."  Even a deaf guy can understand that.  I wonder if this guy had some sort of mental retardation as well as being deaf.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
. . . The article says he carried the pipe everywhere and waved it around while talking to people all the time  . . .
Deaf man waves a length of pipe around . . . while talking to people? Is a pipe an accessory in sign language?  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain