Author Topic: Hum... not so sure about this...  (Read 3210 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Hum... not so sure about this...
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
Reading CR's article on "How to Cook on a Charcoal Grill," https://www.consumerreports.org/grilling/how-to-cook-on-a-charcoal-grill/.

This sentence gave me pause...

"Fill the chimney to the top and rest it on a level, heatproof surface, like an asphalt driveway..."

You know, the last thing I'm going to do is put a charcoal chimney, which develops a lot of heat, on an asphalt driveway. Concrete, no problem. Yes, asphalt is "fireproof," but you can still damage it with localized heat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Hum... not so sure about this...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
I generally let it sit in the grill on the grate.  Simply because there will be bits of charcoal (I use lump, not brickettes), that fall through, so instead of having hot coals on the ground somewhere, they are right were they are supposed to be.  Then when it's ready, I just flip and dump into the grill.  Put the food grate over the top and let it heat up before I put the food on there.

Why is that so hard ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Same here, I put it on my Weber bottom grate.

Occasionally, if I'm adding coals to an established coal bed (or adding new coals to a previous fire's coals) I'll start it on my concrete patio. I tend not to do that anymore now that I have Seren, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
I generally let it sit in the grill on the grate.  Simply because there will be bits of charcoal (I use lump, not brickettes), that fall through, so instead of having hot coals on the ground somewhere, they are right were they are supposed to be.  Then when it's ready, I just flip and dump into the grill.  Put the food grate over the top and let it heat up before I put the food on there.

Why is that so hard ??

This right here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
Yep. Only time I start it outside the grill is to add to an already going fire.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
I start in the Weber, too.  I also follow the Minion method of putting unlit chunks on the hot coals for longer cooks.  No need to fire up a second chimney if you can extend the existing one.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
In the Weber here also. If I am doing a long cook I use my grate with the flip up wings and add as needed.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
I also use the grate wings, as needed, but there are times when you need that extra blast of heat that a fully started charge of coals will bring.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
My grill is not conducive to setting the chimney on top. It generally goes onto dirt.

I'm not concerned about burning the dirt.

Completely unrelated note, but if you've already gotten the bottom coals started and a sudden, unexpected downpour occurs, you can pick up the chimney and stand under a tree while the rest of the coals get started.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought