Author Topic: Moving Heavy Stuff  (Read 967 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Moving Heavy Stuff
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
It looks like it may be a pretty old video, but some interesting concepts are being used to move multi-ton concrete blocks (as well as a pole barn) by a single person.

https://www.facebook.com/anonews.co/videos/1756990800979138/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Moving Heavy Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
I've seen him before on the Internet and Cable TV shows.

I'm pretty convinced that he's got a lot of what ancient megalithic structure builders did exactly right.

Those humans were every bit as smart as we are, if not smarter, because they didn't have all the crutches of modern technology to offload some of the thinking for them.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Anyone else reminded of The Sea Wolf?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
Anyone else reminded of The Sea Wolf?

The book or the Submarine?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »

Or the airplane.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:56 PM »
His techniques require a hard, flat concrete or stone surface to work on.  I doubt the builders of Stonehenge had a hard concrete surface poured all the way from their stone quarry to the site of the henge.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
Musta been aliens...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Musta been aliens...

The simplest explanation.   =D

Beats me how our ancestors moved heavy stuff like 20 ton stone slabs.  Maybe they used a few techniques similar to what the guy in the videos has worked out.  But I doubt he has figured out the whole story.
It would be interesting to know exactly the methods used by ancient folks to move big stuff.  We might learn a thing or two.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
Something about a big enough lever and moving the world...

And just because it reminded me of this too; everyone forgets Samuel Clemens was also a humorist.

“Give me whereon to stand”, said Archimedes, “and I will move the earth.” The boast was a pretty safe one, for he knew quite well that the standing place was wanting, and always would be wanting. But suppose he had moved the earth, what then? What benefit would it have been to anybody? The job would never have paid working expenses, let alone dividends, and so what was the use of talking about it? From what astronomers tell us, I should reckon that the earth moved quite fast enough already, and if there happened to be a few cranks who were dissatisfied with its rate of progress, as far as I am concerned, they might push it along for themselves; I would not move a finger or subscribe a penny piece to assist in anything of the kind.
Mark Twain (1835-1910)
“Archimedes”
Australian Standard, 1887 (under the pseudonym Twark Main)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

I forgot this is the board where the only known genre of fiction is preceded by the word "science."  :P

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
Not necessarily.
I've read most of Jack London's work. It's good, but for general fiction it would be 2nd tier for me.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
Not necessarily.
I've read most of Jack London's work. It's good, but for general fiction it would be 2nd tier for me.

I really got into his short stories, back about 15 years ago.