Author Topic: Need help - Microsoft Word  (Read 761 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Need help - Microsoft Word
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »
I'm working with some documents that have certain paragraphs highlighted with a double-line border. The problem is that, when they are displayed small enough so a full page is visible on screen, the default spacing between the double lines is so tight that it appears like a single, heavy line.

Is there any way to change the default spacing on the double line border, or else to create a custom double line border with the two lines farther apart?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Need help - Microsoft Word
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
See image below. If you go to options, you can customize everything if the defaults aren't working for you.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
I'm presuming it's a text box rather than some strangely formatted form of paragraph.

Right click on the border. In the menu box that pops up scroll down to Format Shape. Go to the Line option. From there you can control things like color, transparency, width, etc..

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
Right click on the border. In the menu box that pops up scroll down to Format Shape. Go to the Line option. From there you can control things like color, transparency, width, etc..

Brad

Oh, sorry - I read the post before my morning coffee. I thought he was talking about paragraph spacing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
See image below. If you go to options, you can customize everything if the defaults aren't working for you.

That's line spacing. It does nothing for the gap between the double lines of a paragraph border.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
I'm presuming it's a text box rather than some strangely formatted form of paragraph.

Brad

Not a text box. Paragraph border.
Right click options don't include "Format Shape"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
Place your cursor in the offending paragraph. Look on your menu bar for the Paragraph section. Click the down arrow next to the Borders icon (looks like a window with dashed-line pane dividers). Scroll down to Borders and Shading.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
Place your cursor in the offending paragraph. Look on your menu bar for the Paragraph section. Click the down arrow next to the Borders icon (looks like a window with dashed-line pane dividers). Scroll down to Borders and Shading.

And ... ?

That's how I put the border there in the first place. The problem is the amount of space bertween the two lines on the double-line border. The lines are two close together. I'm not talking about the "padding" between the text and the border -- I need to customize the default spacing of the double line itself.

Screen shot:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
Yeah, Ben, I know about that. That's how I got from the default single line border to the double line. I don't want to use fatter lines. I want the default 1/2 point lines, but I need more space between the two lines.

I'm coming to the conclusion there's no way to customize that. Bummer.