Author Topic: Is It Possible To Map CTRL-ALT-DELETE To A Single Key  (Read 903 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Is It Possible To Map CTRL-ALT-DELETE To A Single Key
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
Or, does anyone know of a keyboard that has CTRL-ALT-Delete as a single key?  Since I'm on a government computer, I'm automatically signed out after ten minutes of activity, or if I have to leave my desk, I have to take my Common Access Card with me (OPSEC!!!).  Anyway, I often have a stack of paperwork/cup of coffee/picture of Fistful in my left hand, and it irks me to have to put them down to press CTRL-ALT-Delete.

Any thoughts?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Is It Possible To Map CTRL-ALT-DELETE To A Single Key
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »

(Edited to put that image back in. Don't know why it went away.)

More discussion:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/if-bill-gates-really-thinks-ctrl-alt-del-was-a-mistake-he-should-have-fixed-it-himself/

What I want is a keyboard with the ";" key mapped to generate a " '."  I do that all the time, don;t you?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:00:12 AM by 230RN »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »

=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »

More discussion:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/if-bill-gates-really-thinks-ctrl-alt-del-was-a-mistake-he-should-have-fixed-it-himself/

What I want is a keyboard with the ";" key mapped to generate a " '."  I do that all the time, don;t you?

Terry, 230RN

Yep. Even before reading the article it was obvious that if Microsoft could generate the two Windows keys on a keyboard, they could easily have generated a SAK key. I don't even know how many years I've been working on keyboards with the Windows keys, and I have never, ever used one. And that "Menu" Key? Until reading the article, I didn't even know what it was. Needless to say, I've never used that, either.

There was, however, a company that could force new keys onto keyboards. Microsoft.

In 1994, Redmond launched the first Microsoft Natural Keyboard. In addition to its unusually curved ergonomic design, the keyboard boasted some keys not found on other devices of the time. Three of them, in fact. Two bore the Windows logo; the third bore a menu icon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:06:42 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »
One thing that might help is put your picture of me on a lanyard worn around the neck.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:12 AM »
Yep. Even before reading the article it was obvious that if Microsoft could generate the two Windows keys ona keyboard, they could easily have generated a SAK key. I don't even know how many years I've been working on keyboards with the Windows keys, and I have never, ever used one. And that "Menu" Key? Until reading the article, I didn't even know what it was. Needless to say, I've never used that, either.

I've never used them. I know a lot of gamers pop the keys off to keep from accidently pressing it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
I wonder if C-A-D could be mapped to the scroll lock key?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_lock

Depending on the operating system, it may be used for different purposes and applications may assign functions to the key or change their behavior depending on its toggling state.[1][2]

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
Spending a lot of time with Linux/BSD/etc. I shudder at the thought of one key doing Ctl+Alt+Del. It’s bad enough when you do it in a VM you thought was Windows by mistake; a key I can even more easily hit by mistake sounds like a terrible idea. Unless maybe Gates thinks that would just be a dirty trick for some other OS users.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
Spending a lot of time with Linux/BSD/etc. I shudder at the thought of one key doing Ctl+Alt+Del. It’s bad enough when you do it in a VM you thought was Windows by mistake; a key I can even more easily hit by mistake sounds like a terrible idea. Unless maybe Gates thinks that would just be a dirty trick for some other OS users.

I shudder at the thought of a single C-A-D key on these keyboards.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg/1599px-Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
Try autohotkey for windows you just need to click out of it if hit by mistake.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG