Author Topic: Easy things to take to a potluck  (Read 3646 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Easy things to take to a potluck
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
Potlucks are always fun so I wanted to start a thread for everyone's favorite contributory foodstuff.

Crock pot meatballs.

Whatever amount of frozen plain meatballs your crock pot or slow cooker will hold. One large bottle of Tiger sauce per pound of meatballs. Pour meatballs and sauce into a container and let marinate overnight in the fridge, turning a couple of times. A large ziplock freezer back works very well for this. Pour into warming vessel of choice and bring to temp before serving. Total prep time numbers in single minutes and it's different from the sea of smashed 'taters or green bean casseroles which usually show up.

I like Tiger sauce but use whatever sauce or marinade floats your boat.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Easy things to take to a potluck
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sausage-cheese-balls/6a2a7890-c685-4991-b699-743fd880486f

Sausage cheese balls, and they are better if you use sharp cheddar cheese.  Depending on the number of people, I cut the recipe in half.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
Deviled eggs.

I also frequently make something kinda like lasagna (I used to make real lasagna):
Brown half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of breakfast sausage (not the maple kind) with some fennel seeds and red pepper flakes.  Add onions and cheap jarred spaghetti sauce.  Simmer, and adjust the spices (usually needs oregano and garlic)  Meanwhile, cook a pound of bowtie pasta.  Drain the pasta, and add a carton of cottage cheese and about a cup of sour cream onion dip.  Stir that up, and add it some parsley flakes and fresh black pepper.  Put a layer of noodles in a 11x14 lasagna pan, then a layer of meat sauce, another layer of noodles and the rest of the sauce.  Sprinkle a little cheese on top, mostly for decoration, and bake.

If I have to make something at the last minute, I have a few cake recipes that are really quick and easy.

There's nothing wrong with buying a bucket of chicken, there's just no chicken place anywhere near my church.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
Pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and buns.  Served in crockpot.

Don't be a wanker...  smoke it.

Edit - it is as easy to do multiple pork butts as it is to do one, I have a bunch of smoked pulled pork in the freezer most of the time.  Have "pulled" from that one more than one occasion for a pot luck.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:58:34 PM by 41magsnub »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sausage-cheese-balls/6a2a7890-c685-4991-b699-743fd880486f

Sausage cheese balls, and they are better if you use sharp cheddar cheese.  Depending on the number of people, I cut the recipe in half.

Recipe saved.  Can these be baked the day before, refrigerated, and then reheated for serving?  Or do I need to bake them the morning of?
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
Recipe saved.  Can these be baked the day before, refrigerated, and then reheated for serving?  Or do I need to bake them the morning of?

All of the above are valid. No real way to do them wrong. A little gummy if reheated but just as tasty.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
Baked beans. 

I like a hybrid mix of B&M and Campbell's.  Fry up an lb of bacon and an onion and dump it in with the cans of beans.  Add Worcestershire, ketchup, mustard and molasses to taste.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
All of the above are valid. No real way to do them wrong. A little gummy if reheated but just as tasty.

Brad

I agree.  I have certainly made them the day or two before when I needed the oven on the day of the event.  If I do this, I zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds before putting the platter out. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Around here, what always shows up are these stupid, half-baked cookies from Wal-Mart. And they're mostly frosting.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
I'm not the sort that goes to pot lucks these days but back when I was a youngster my mom and I would go to many pot lucks as she was involved in so, so many organizations.

Her favorite thing to take was a Tator Tot casserole. If she got picked for a salad then she did her fruit salad ambrosia. And she would make the top-end recipe. She never made it just for us.  ???

Her best side-dish was slow-cooked baked beans with rib meat. Yet another thing I only got at pot lucks!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
Aldi and and Crokpot

Aldi now has several types of baked beans, Maple, Home Style, Southern BBQ, etc.   Several cans of those in a crockpot on low for 1-2 hours prior.

Also, their cocktail sausages in BBQ sauce.  Again 1-2 hours on low prior to departure.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:02:07 AM »
Cocktail weenies or meatballs. Sauce is half ketchup, half grape jelly, squirt of Tabasco. Sounds horrible, tastes awesome. Just don't tell anyone the secret recipe.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:28 AM »
Cheap mix cornbread, but with about 3/4 of the butter it calls for, and the remaining 1/4 replaced with about 1/3 the called for amount of lard.  Also milk in mix that calls for water, and sometimes cream if I have it on hand.

Yes, that's ~13/12 of the "right" amount of butter-or-substitute, and some more extra fat.  Still works well, and tastes just enough different that people think it's not cheap mix.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »
My mom always did a green bean salad that was a hit. Actually, she did a lot of bean salad type dishes, but the green beans were my favorite.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
I make an onion and sausage casserole that's been such a hit that I'm always requested to bring it to several annual potlucks I attend.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.