Author Topic: Ben's Vehicle Maintenance Question #2  (Read 2189 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ben's Vehicle Maintenance Question #2
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
It's vehicle maintenance week at Ben's place.  :laugh:

So on my F-150 the oil filter housing has three o-rings that need to be replaced at every oil change. The two big ones are easy peasy. But look at the image below. That little sucker is absolutely ridiculous to get on. Besides being tiny, as you can maybe see in the image, it's about twice the thickness of the larger o-rings. I learned after the very first oil change that I need to put it on in a controlled environment where I can track where it goes flying, because I let that little sucker fly at least three or four times before I get it all the way over the nose of that stem.

Any recommended tools/techniques to ease installation? I get a little scared of trying to stretch it beforehand, because even not stretching it, after it gets over that nose and sits where it's supposed to, it's really loose there. Though when I removed the filter this morning, the last one seemed to "shrink" itself on, because it was fairly snug when I was removing it.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Ben's Vehicle Maintenance Question #2
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
Uhm...

Det cord?

You may try drilling a hole in a block of wood that's slightly smaller than the O ring, positioning it over the hole, and trying to push the assembly down over it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
Use a hook. Set on side of the ring in the groove then use the hook to pull it over the tip and around into the groove.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Get thee to Harbor Freight!

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

I normally put the ring in the pick, then kind lay the pick alongside the part for install. "Point to point" with a little overlap, if that makes sense.  The tip of the pick should be even with the far edge of the o-ring slot.

Then hook the edge of the o-ring on the part. Lever the pick out so the o-ring slides down the pick into the groove, while holding the edge you hooked on with your thumb. Then pull the pick out, and roll the o-ring into place if it needs it. It does take a little practice. I got good at it rebuilding hydraulic cylinders.

That o-ring is tougher than you think. It'll stretch.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »
Thanks guys - Harbor Freight pick set it is. Though I doubt I'll get out of there for $1.99.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »
"Though I doubt I'll get out of there for $1.99."

You got that right.  My downfall is going to the back just to visit "my" metal lathe.  And passing all the other goodies.  For some reason I'm a sucker for that damned "Bowie" knife with the "Survival" kit in the handle for (it varies) $8.00.

Dumb thing, but I can not go past that display without buying one.  It's like the call of the Sirens.  And I have no real use for one.  I can't figure it out.

I'm weak.  Weak as water.

Got four of them now.  Only opened two of the packages so far.

Dayam, dayam, dayam.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who the weakling is.

REFs:
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11832.jpg

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_23497.jpg

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
You just need to check around and see if anyone makes an elastrator in chipmunk size.

Could come in handy at an Antifa rally, too.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
You got that right.  My downfall is going to the back just to visit "my" metal lathe.  And passing all the other goodies.  For some reason I'm a sucker for that damned "Bowie" knife with the "Survival" kit in the handle for (it varies) $8.00.

You know, with something along the lines of a ShopTask mill/lathe combo, you could make the same thing only a heck of a lot better.

Wouldn't hurt to also assemble a nice forge so you're not limited to commercially available blanks, though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »
Thanks guys - Harbor Freight pick set it is. Though I doubt I'll get out of there for $1.99.  :laugh:

It's all about self control.
I have gone into a Harley dealership and spent ONLY $7.50 at the parts counter.

Rubber bumper for the kickstand.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
It's all about self control.

Rubber bumper for the kickstand.

Teach me, Master, teach me.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
Thanks guys - Harbor Freight pick set it is. Though I doubt I'll get out of there for $1.99.  :laugh:

This ought to help:
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons_expiring_soon
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »

UNPOSSIBLE !!!  Everyone knows that the initials "HD" stands for "Hundred Dollars", as in that's what it costs simply to walk in the door of a Harley Dealership... :P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 02:18:03 AM »

He didn't own a Harley, and just went in to use the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 05:42:18 AM »
What is with the 3 o rings?  What did Ford do?   I've only ever had to mess with the oil and spin on filter with my vehicles.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
What is with the 3 o rings?  What did Ford do?   I've only ever had to mess with the oil and spin on filter with my vehicles.

I have the 2.7L Ecoboost, and they went to an internal filter there. I have a similar filter on my 4Runner as well, though it doesn't have the same o-ring design.

Other than that one dang little o-ring, the F-150 is actually one of the easier and quicker oil changes I've done, at least work-wise. It actually takes me an hour, but it's only about 15 minutes of work. The other quirk with the 2.7L, and the newer 3.5L Ecoboosts as well, now that they also have stop/start tech, is that you have to wait 20 minutes after the engine is turned off for the oil to drain out because of the engine design for stop/start.

Takes another 20 minutes for all the oil to get into the pan for an accurate reading after you put the new stuff in, and Ford actually had to put out a TSB about it, because techs were either  taking only five minutes to drain the oil, and/or putting new oil in, checking the dipstick right away and not seeing anything, then overfilling. Early on apparently lots of people were driving around with 8-9 quarts in a 6 quart system. I'm betting a lot of people who take their 2.7s to Jiffy Lube are still driving around with a couple of extra quarts.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
I'm questioning the need to change o-rings every time you do a filter. O-rings are generally pretty robust and will last years in normal service. Are the some kind of special material that won't tolerate reuse (I.E. are deform-to-fit and won't spring back after being torqued)?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
Assuming they ecoboost filters are like the canister filters I'm familiar with, the o-rings come in the kit. Why wouldn't you put new ones on?
You change the o-ring on a spin on filter every time.

From an engineering perspective, the heat cycle while compressed quite a bit, which leads to loss of elasticity, and they seal a pressurized oil system, so leaks would be annoying and messy. O-ring are cheap insurance to swap in that application.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
Assuming they ecoboost filters are like the canister filters I'm familiar with, the o-rings come in the kit. Why wouldn't you put new ones on?
You change the o-ring on a spin on filter every time.

From an engineering perspective, the heat cycle while compressed quite a bit, which leads to loss of elasticity, and they seal a pressurized oil system, so leaks would be annoying and messy. O-ring are cheap insurance to swap in that application.

Yup, three o-rings come with the new filter. The two big ones just go on either side of the housing threads on the male part of the housing. Probably don't really need two, but I think they're doing "better safe than sorry" redundancy. Anyway, they take five seconds to change out, so why not?

Being neither an engineer nor a mechanic, I have no idea what the little pain in the ass one does, but it does seat well down the female portion of the housing, so I'm assuming it's pretty critical to proper sealing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
It seals around the check valve at the bottom of the filter. This keeps the filter from draining when the engine is off, and ensures the engine doesn't run without oil on startup while the oil pump fills the filter housing.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
Being neither an engineer nor a mechanic, I have no idea what the little pain in the ass one does, but it does seat well down the female portion of the housing,

Neither engineers nor mechanics understand females either.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
I've used lacing cord to install o-rings similar to those but the hook set should work well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
Thread necro.

It was finally time for another oil change yesterday, and the $1.99 I spent at Harbor Freight for the pick and hook set was money well spent. Got that little pain in the ass o-ring over the nose of the assembly on the first try. :)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »

First you have to own a Harley ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design