Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049...  (Read 3772 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Blade Runner 2049...
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
Every review I've seen has been incredibly positive.

I'm going to see it with a friend(s) tomorrow.

I'm so *expletive deleted*ing stoked that it's not even funny.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Blade Runner 2049...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
I want to see it too.  I might have to catch it tonight or Sunday though.  Thing 1 has Homecoming and it's shaping up like a near all day event for us parents. :|

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
Ah, bummer. Well, if you want to catch it together at a later date, let me know. I suspect that I'm going to freaking love it and I'll be hitting it more than once.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
I definitely want to and later is more likely than sooner. 

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
Don't you two have phones?  Or email?

:-*
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
Don't you two have phones?  Or email?

:-*

Jealous?

:rofl:

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
Did someone say Totes?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
You're...

KIDding...

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »
Holy hell was that worth the trip to the theater!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »
Holy hell was that worth the trip to the theater!

Glad to hear it. I was wary after I saw Covenant and after you said the The Dark Tower was bad. Glad at least one of the movies I was looking forward to seeing won't be a stinker!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »
It was really good. Really captured the tone of the first movie, but it was a lot grimmer. Part of that,  I think, was covered in the beginning of the movie when it mentioned that agricultural ecosystems collapsed in the 2020s, after the first movie.

The only thing I didn't really like about it was that it was quite plodding in a lot of places.

I think I'm going to see it again in about a month to catch what I missed out on.

If it's still in theaters that long. Unfortunately it's turning into a dog at the box office despite the excellent reviews and 89% certified fresh and 83% audience liked it over at RT...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
If it's still in theaters that long. Unfortunately it's turning into a dog at the box office despite the excellent reviews and 89% certified fresh and 83% audience liked it over at RT...

IIRC, I read that the first Bladerunner also did poorly at the box office and in "professional" reviews. In fact a good number of the movies and TV series I like best seem to get poor ratings. Hence I prefer to ignore the critics and anonymous reviewers at the various websites. I'll trust the word of people I know, or better yet, see for myself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
I went to see it this weekend and I noticed something interesting: probably 2/3rds of the audience was approximately my age, and from comments that I overheard, were fans of the original movie.  There were relatively few younger people in the audience.  I wonder if my observations are replicated elsewhere, and would this explain the box office so far, which is much less than expected.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
I need to see it sooner than later, in case it's time in theaters is cut short.  =|
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
IIRC, I read that the first Bladerunner also did poorly at the box office and in "professional" reviews. In fact a good number of the movies and TV series I like best seem to get poor ratings. Hence I prefer to ignore the critics and anonymous reviewers at the various websites. I'll trust the word of people I know, or better yet, see for myself.

Yes. The original Blade Runner did very poorly at the box office and in critical reviews.

Some have, over the years, suggested that some critics had become used to Harrison Ford in almost comedic swashbuckler roles -- Han Solo and Indiana Jones, primarily -- and were simply put off by his role of a jaded, somewhat PTSD, burned out cop in a dystopian and very UNheroic view of the future.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
I went to see it this weekend and I noticed something interesting: probably 2/3rds of the audience was approximately my age, and from comments that I overheard, were fans of the original movie.  There were relatively few younger people in the audience.  I wonder if my observations are replicated elsewhere, and would this explain the box office so far, which is much less than expected.

I didn't pay that much attention to the audience, but I did notice some older people, some younger people, and some kids.

But, I think you might be on to something.

I went to see it with my friend Jim and with Mtnbkr. Jim is a fan of the original movie, I think Mtnbkr likes it, but I freaking LOVE the original.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »

Saw it in the theater and want to see it again. Plot was good but not spectacular. The cinematography? Near equal to the original, and the original is probably in EVERY top 5 or top 10 cinematography lists. I need to watch it at least two more times. The first time... there's just too much to grasp everything. I could tell I was missing a lot.

It's amazing. Saw it in 3D (because that's when the showing was convenient). I need to find the best IMAX theater to watch it on. And I'll be buying a copy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
"is probably in EVERY top 5 or top 10 cinematography lists."

You'd think so, but no. I found a lot of lists with a LOT of different "best" movies, and there were quite a few of them where Blade Runner wasn't even mentioned.

Hell, I came across one where Lawrence of Arabia isn't even on it...

Problem is, cinematography is just so open to interpretation based on personal likes and dislikes.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
Some have, over the years, suggested that some critics had become used to Harrison Ford in almost comedic swashbuckler roles -- Han Solo and Indiana Jones, primarily -- and were simply put off by his role of a jaded, somewhat PTSD, burned out cop in a dystopian and very UNheroic view of the future.

I think he's underrated in that low-key role.

I didn't pay that much attention to the audience, but I did notice some older people, some younger people, and some kids.

But, I think you might be on to something.

I went to see it with my friend Jim and with Mtnbkr. Jim is a fan of the original movie, I think Mtnbkr likes it, but I freaking LOVE the original.

I thought the crowd trended a little older, but that makes sense considering the original predates anyone who isn't in their late 30s.

I love the original now that I've realized how great the visuals and score are.  When I first saw it in my 20s, I didn't "get" it and didn't care much for it (no specific issue, just didn't care much for it).  It wasn't until a decade later when I caught it on TV while flipping channels.  The visuals and score just grabbed me.  I watched it again for the eye and ear candy, while the story just wormed its way into my brain. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
"I think he's underrated in that low-key role."

Absolutely. At the time he was typecast, and it took a serious reconsideration of both the movie and of Ford's acting for people to realize just how good he was in the role.

Now that he's got an extensive body of work in his career, more and more critics are giving his acting in the original Blade Runner the credit that it's really due.

Here's a tidbit that a lot of people don't know about the Deckard character... Harrison Ford wasn't the first choice for the role. Dustin Hoffman was.

Another tidbit... Harrison Ford doesn't much like the original Blade Runner. Didn't like the movie, didn't like working with Ridley Scott, and he HATED the last minute addition of the voice over (which I think really helps tie the movie together on so many levels, but I know I'm in the minority on that).

It took me several viewings of the various "definitive versions" to really comprehend just how incredible Blade Runner is.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »
... I wonder if my observations are replicated elsewhere,...

I see what you did there.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM