Author Topic: Las Vegas shooting victims file lawsuit against bump stock makers  (Read 2022 times)

freakazoid

• friend
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/las-vegas-shooting-victims-file-lawsuit-against-bump-stock-makers/ar-AAtgMTi?ocid=ientp

Well three victims sue that is. I'm actually a little confused on who is suing and it is intended for. It says,
The lawsuit by three Nevada residents who attended the festival does not involve the injuries that hundreds of people suffered as a result of the shooting, or the families of the 58 people who were killed.
So who is suing, the only people left would be the ones killed and I'm pretty sure they can't sue.
It also states that the stocks are originally meant for people with disabilities, I thought that was purely things like the SIG brace.
The lawsuit said the company acted with fraud, oppression and malice toward plaintiffs and showed an intention and willingness to injure people.
:rofl: How the hell do they come up with stuff like this?
If I had been there I would see if there is a way to counter-sue them.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Las Vegas shooting victims file lawsuit against bump stock makers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »
Didn't those idiots after the Colorado thing try that and loose. Oh and owe something like 500k to the gun store.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »
Didn't those idiots after the Colorado thing try that and loose. Oh and owe something like 500k to the gun store.

I do not believe that firearm accessory manufacturers enjoy the same protections as firearm makers.

That said, a judge could rule that accessories that are more or less permanently mounted and required for regular use of the weapon - IE a stock in this case, are also covered.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »
I do not believe that firearm accessory manufacturers enjoy the same protections as firearm makers.

That said, a judge could rule that accessories that are more or less permanently mounted and required for regular use of the weapon - IE a stock in this case, are also covered.
But they might have a little trouble showing a jury that a piece of plastic killed a bunch of people.  Jury selection might be key if it makes it that far.  Could be this is just a group trying to get in on the emotional reaction on the shooting while it is still there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »
Families of those killed would have a better wrongful death case against the estate of the shooter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »
But they might have a little trouble showing a jury that a piece of plastic killed a bunch of people.  Jury selection might be key if it makes it that far.  Could be this is just a group trying to get in on the emotional reaction on the shooting while it is still there.

Bingo.

Of course, they still have to show how it was the item, and not the criminal misuse by a human being, that caused the injuries and deaths.  Going to be a tough sell to the jury, I'd think.

We don't sue the maker of a steering wheel cover - or even the car itself - when someone drives through a playground and runs over a bunch of kids.  We blame the driver, as is proper.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »
Makes you wonder why no one has ever tried to sue the gasoline manufacturers for creating a product that fuels hyper-horsepowered cars of death.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
...hyper-horsepowered cars of death.

Is that the name of your garage band?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »
Makes you wonder why no one has ever tried to sue the gasoline manufacturers for creating a product that fuels hyper-horsepowered cars of death.
What about someone doused with gasoline?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
Families of those killed would have a better wrongful death case against the estate of the shooter.
That is a good point.  He wasn't poor.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
Lawsuits against the hotel...

http://www.businessinsider.com/mandalay-bay-las-vegas-shooting-liability-2017-10

Has anyone sued the concert venue, yet? Or the city?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/mandalay-bay-las-vegas-shooting-liability-2017-10

The bottom feeders can only work so fast.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »

That was outside city limits.  Maybe sue the county?

FWIW, The Strip is outside city limits.  I've had people (visitors) tell me how much they've enjoyed their trip, and how they can't wait to come back.  I'd ask if they ventured off the strip or went downtown.  When they'd say no, it would be entertaining to inform them that they never did actually make it to Las Vegas if they never went North of Sahara Ave.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 07:37:27 AM »
What about someone doused with gasoline?

Ugh...

We had one of those here in the DC metro a few weeks ago.

ahole threw his pregnant girlfriend in the bathtub, doused her with (I think) gasoline, and torched her.

She survived, but is still hospitalized with critical burns. The baby was delivered by C section and is doing well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »

Perhaps, though I think MGM would be a much better bet at this stage.  Has anyone found out whether they actually called 9/11 in time to report the shooting of the security guard?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
Perhaps, though I think MGM would be a much better bet at this stage.  Has anyone found out whether they actually called 9/11 in time to report the shooting of the security guard?

What?! You want accurate intel on the Vegas Massacre? What are you, new?  ???