Author Topic: Paint for off-road tube bumper  (Read 2083 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Paint for off-road tube bumper
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »
That's a pretty nice bumper to rattle can.

It is, but it's going on a 20yo SUV, so it feels excessive to spend a lot of money on painting it.  I'll reserve judgement until after I see how the mounting assembly turns out.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:04 AM »
Another vote for bedliner.
rustoleum makes  a product for that
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Sounds like mtnbkr has already started spraying, but for anyone interested, the stuff I used on my hitch and liked, available at Walmart in the auto department, is "Rustoleum acrylic enamel - 2X coverage".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
Sounds like mtnbkr has already started spraying, but for anyone interested, the stuff I used on my hitch and liked, available at Walmart in the auto department, is "Rustoleum acrylic enamel - 2X coverage".

Actually, the only thing I've sprayed so far is the piece that mates the bumper to the frame.  It's a 30lb "box" that is going to be mostly hidden, so I used it as a painting experiment.  I painted it with matte black enamel (two coats of SE Primer and three coats paint).  It looks good.  Still trying to decide between that at bedliner for the bumper itself. 

I've used that 2x coverage stuff on other projects and found it runs like a mofo.  I won't be using it this time around.

Chris