Author Topic: Dogfood question  (Read 1999 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Dogfood question
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »
We've just switched our 9 month old spayed female pup's food from puppy food to adult kibble.  In part because our older dog was getting so fat from stealing puppy food.  Not sure what the wife bought, but I think it's a Kirkland no-grain formula.  Should I slip Shadow fatty treats like cheese, cheap hamburger meat, and chicken skin for another month or so to make up the difference in calories?

I'm not sure when you're supposed to back off the calories.  (it's been a while since I've had a large breed puppy)  Seems like spay-time is a good time to switch but maybe it's a little early.  I asked the vet and she didn't really answer.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Dogfood question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
What large breed? I started limiting my sheperds food about that age so it wouldn't outgrow its hips. Other than that, if puppy is not obese, feed it.

Experts along shortly I hope.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »
What large breed? I started limiting my sheperds food about that age so it wouldn't outgrow its hips. Other than that, if puppy is not obese, feed it.

Experts along shortly I hope.

She's a mixed-breed, black Lab and "American bulldog", but we suspect that's a euphemism for pitbull rather than a real American bulldog (the vet agrees based on the shape of her head and hips).  She's fit and trim, about 55 or 60 pounds, and strong as a mule.  I'd post a pic, but it's really hard to photograph a black animal so I don't have any recent ones.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:08:58 PM »
Pics or GTFO! :D I was in a house full of adorable rescue pits this weekend, I luckily made it out with no new doggies. Got the stink eye, something about being gone for an hour and coming home smelling like twelve other dogs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:28 PM »
Pics or GTFO! :D

That's fair. :)  I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:39:46 AM »

No! No dogfood!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

No! No dogfood!

That was... unexpected.  Does dogfood have potential to be the next Great Cornbread War? :D
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:52:38 AM »
I generally keep my pups on puppy chow for the first year.

My sled dog pups we didn't, but the adult dogs had a very rich diet with a lot of meat and fat supplement.

Keep an eye on her and see if she seems really hungry, or is losing weight, if so she might need more food or supplements.

That food's not horrible, but I like to see more than 30% Protien and Fat in the high teens for house dogs.  A

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
That was... unexpected.  Does dogfood have potential to be the next Great Cornbread War? :D

It's already happened. Millions perished. Well, not really, but things got heated, and I think the thread was killed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
Seren is on a full raw diet.

http://ocrawdog.com/

Expensive, but worth it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
I generally keep my pups on puppy chow for the first year.

My sled dog pups we didn't, but the adult dogs had a very rich diet with a lot of meat and fat supplement.

Keep an eye on her and see if she seems really hungry, or is losing weight, if so she might need more food or supplements.

That food's not horrible, but I like to see more than 30% Protien and Fat in the high teens for house dogs.  A

I'll take her to the vet this week to use their scales to make sure she's still gaining weight, and let her sniff everyone in the waiting area and pee on the floor.  (good times)  Doesn't cost anything.
"It's good, though..."