Author Topic: Dismantling Obamacare Brick by Brick.  (Read 5848 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dismantling Obamacare Brick by Brick.
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
Had a friend who needed a knee replacement, but the doc told her it wouldn't last if she didn't get and stay well under 300lbs.  So she got a wheelchair instead.

I see a lot of that around here. As much as the leftists on the coast irritated me, most of them took care of themselves. There's a lot of fat people around here. I swear every fifth license plate is handicapped, and every time I go to Costco or Walmart, there's at least a dozen people all tooling around in motorized carts - most all of them very overweight.

I see the same thing in my own family. My sister can barely walk, and most all of it is due to her being fat. If she lost 100 lbs, it would make all the difference, but she prefers to take pain meds and sit on her ass watching TV all day. Hilariously, she always complains that she can't run this or that errand because of her back or feet or whatever, and gets my 90 year old dad (AKA the enabler) to do it, then everytime he goes to her house he sees a ton of sweets and a freezer full of ice cream, which somehow she was able to walk into the store to buy.

To tie into the health care, as we have discussed many times around here, if more doctors cut down on prescriptions as an easy out for both them and the patient, and pushed exercise / physical therapy, there would be a lot fewer disabled license plates on the road.

Certainly there are cases that simply can't be fixed and require some pain medication for quality of life, but I suspect they are a very small number in the population of handicapped placards, disability benefits, and motorized carts at the Walmart. Especially when you see how young some of these people are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
^^^I take care of those patients, and the enthusiasm for beginning and continuing exercise or PT is very low. We can recommend and make referrals, but it is up to the patient to carry out the plan.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
^^^I take care of those patients, and the enthusiasm for beginning and continuing exercise or PT is very low. We can recommend and make referrals, but it is up to the patient to carry out the plan.

Yeah, sorry - poor writing on my part. I was by no means laying all the blame on the health care industry. It's a two way street.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »

We could quit referring them to "Pain Management" clinics.  If your back and/or joints hurt because you're fat, take 800mg of Motrin and go for a run.  Or live in pain, I don't care but nothing that's not over the counter for you. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
A lot of the obese chronic pain patients that we see are that way because they sustained some sort of injury, typically a back injury, and that limited their mobility and ability to exercise, and the obesity followed and that limited their mobility and ability to exercise even more.  In our chronic pain committee meeting just yesterday, we were reviewing a patient case who was injured in a motorcycle accident (a car ran a stop sign and hit him from the right).  He sustained major orthopedic and soft tissue trauma and had many surgeries.  And I was thinking that could be me, on my motorcycle or bicycle.

Obesity, like chronic pain, is another one of those conditions that modern medicine still cannot fix particularly well.  We are probably all waiting for the day of an inexpensive pill with minimal side effects that would cause us to painlessly lose 20% of our body weight.  We are not there yet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.