Author Topic: The New York Times is seeking relevance  (Read 1604 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The New York Times is seeking relevance
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/reader-center/social-media-guidelines.html

The NYT now wants its "journalists" to project a (completely false) face of objectivity in social media.

Quote from: NYT
We’ve always made clear that newsroom employees should avoid posting anything on social media that damages our reputation for neutrality and fairness. This memo offers more detailed guidelines.

Cognitive disconnect number one: WHAT reputation for neutrality and fairness? Nobody has accused the NYT of neutrality and fairness for several decades.

Quote from: NYT
Our journalists should be especially mindful of appearing to take sides on issues that The Times is seeking to cover objectively.

If, that is, you can find anything The Times is seeking to cover objectively. (Good luck wit dat.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: The New York Times is seeking relevance
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »
I didn't realize they were still pretending to be neutral and objective, or relevant for that matter.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:15:43 PM »
I didn't realize they were still pretending to be neutral and objective, or relevant for that matter.
Most of the legacy media stopped pretending to be neutral and objective when Barack Hussein Obama got the Democratic party nomination.

The rest of the legacy media stopped pretending when Trump got the GOP nomination.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »
On a related note, I've just started noticing CNN articles with the byline "analysis by [reporter]" instead of "written by [reporter]".

I'm trying to figure out if that is just being used as a euphemism for an editorial (I haven't seen "editorial" anywhere in the articles) or if they've just decided to to admit they don't do "who what why when where" anymore. I don't want CNN "analysis" of anything. Just give me the raw data and don't tell me how to think. Though it seems anymore, 99% of their reporting is opinion anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
"The Times is seeking to cover objectively"

When was the last time the NY Times covered anything objectively?

Anyone? Anyone? Buhler? Anyone?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
Ben said, "Just give me the raw data and don't tell me how to think."

But they burn with the unquenchable need, desire, compulsion, irresistible self-righteous impulse, to inform you that your so-called thinking is wrong and theirs is correct... and here's exactly why you are wrong and they are correct, you deplorable ignorant hick, you.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:54:02 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
To be fair, analysis is part of reporting. Very few people who click through to an article want to see a table of numbers. And most don't want to have to read a Supreme Court decision; they want the significant parts, and they want someone with some expertise to tell them how it will change things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
Ah, yes, the W,W,W,W,W, and A theory of journalism.

But the A is only OK if it is labeled as such, with a who-to-run-out-of-town-on-a-rail byline, and no innuendos like my favorites, calling two guns an "arsenal," and two bricks of .22 "a cache of ammunition."  Jes' samples, y' know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
To be fair, analysis is part of reporting. Very few people who click through to an article want to see a table of numbers. And most don't want to have to read a Supreme Court decision; they want the significant parts, and they want someone with some expertise to tell them how it will change things.

Which leaves most journalists out, IMO. If the writer has bona fides in the subject, then I would agree with you on the "executive summary" analysis (though opinion from either side of the political spectrum could work its way in - Henry Kissinger and Hillary Clinton are going to give relatively opposing opinions on State matters).

I would submit though, that just because someone sits in the White House press pool, does not mean that they have the credentials for an analysis on any subject. In fact I would suggest that most of them do not (I'm looking at you "analyst" Jim Acosta (maybe analrapist)).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:29:01 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
When I said "expertise," I was thinking of quotations from SMEs, and not the mutterings of journalists (or analrapists). Sorry for the confusion.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »
Damage control after the last O'Keefe expose is all..
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
SMEs

Sertified Media Experts?

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »
Subject Matter Expert

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
Which leaves most journalists out, IMO. If the writer has bona fides in the subject, then I would agree with you on the "executive summary" analysis (though opinion from either side of the political spectrum could work its way in - Henry Kissinger and Hillary Clinton are going to give relatively opposing opinions on State matters).

I would submit though, that just because someone sits in the White House press pool, does not mean that they have the credentials for an analysis on any subject. In fact I would suggest that most of them do not (I'm looking at you "analyst" Jim Acosta (maybe analrapist)).

Which is another way of saying,

Just give me the raw data and don't tell me how to think.

Terry