Author Topic: Bergdahl to plead?  (Read 4362 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Bergdahl to plead?
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Bergdahl to plead?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
Not to a firing squad, so a let down to me.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Looks like he entered the plea -- with no pre-established bargain for what his sentence might be.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bergdahl-expected-plead-guilty-desertion-case-monday-074707026.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »

I hope he at least gets life.  From prior rulings, the judge is going to let testimony regarding other soldiers wounding while looking for this POS be factored into his sentencing. 

I hope he gets life.  'tis a shame he has cheated the firing squad,  although it probably would have been by lethal injection.   They could save money by doing Bergdahl, Hasan, Akbar, and Gray assembly line style.   Bullets are cheap...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:50:14 AM »

I hope he at least gets life.  From prior rulings, the judge is going to let testimony regarding other soldiers wounding while looking for this POS be factored into his sentencing. 

I hope he gets life.  'tis a shame he has cheated the firing squad,  although it probably would have been by lethal injection.   They could save money by doing Bergdahl, Hasan, Akbar, and Gray assembly line style.   Bullets are cheap...

Put all of them in a gas chamber together.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:27 AM »
Give 'em back to the terrorists.
Load 'em up in a C-5, fly over a terrorist camp at 30K' and kick em out th3 back door.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
Why isn't this guy a bullet riddled corpse slumping at the base of a post?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »

This is the kinder, gentler America.  Now get back in your cave, right-winger.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »

It has been how many decades since the military executed anybody?

My guess is going to be dishonorable discharge and time served.  This doesn't mean that I approve of this sentence, but that is what I figure he will get.

He is apparently going to suffer lifelong medical complications.  They probably don't want that hassle in the prison.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »
It has been how many decades since the military executed anybody?

My guess is going to be dishonorable discharge and time served.  This doesn't mean that I approve of this sentence, but that is what I figure he will get.

He is apparently going to suffer lifelong medical complications.  They probably don't want that hassle in the prison.

Last soldier hanged was 1961.  Although there are three that stand a good chance of meeting their executioner here in the next couple of years.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »
Last soldier hanged was 1961.  Although there are three that stand a good chance of meeting their executioner here in the next couple of years.

Indeed, let us look at their crimes.
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/description-cases-those-sentenced-death-us-military

Ronald Gray - Raped and murdered 2 women, attempted with 3rd.  1 attempt and success were privates, 1 civilian killed.
Hasan Akbar - 2 counts murder, 3 attempted, with a grenade
Andrew Witt - 2 murders, 1 attempted.  With a knife.  Currently OFF death row, sent back by appeals court for resentencing.
Timothy Hennis - 3 murders,   woman an 2 children.  Convicted, then acquitted by the state.  DNA evidence turned up providing for a strong case.  State couldn't do it because of double jeopardy, so the DoD went after him.  Not happy about the end run around double jeopardy, but punishing a murderer?
Nidal Hasan - murdered 13.

All first degree(premeditated) murders, deliberate attacks on fellow soldiers, stuff like that.

I'm not seeing the death penalty for Bergdahl, not by an honest court.  

And to be honest, I'm not that upset about it.  I think there should be a level of difference between the actions.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:53:18 AM by Firethorn »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:14 AM »

Timothy Hennis - 3 murders,   woman an 2 children.  Convicted, then acquitted by the state.  DNA evidence turned up providing for a strong case.  State couldn't do it because of double jeopardy, so the DoD went after him.  Not happy about the end run around DJ, but punishing a murderer?

???

DJ?

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:12 AM »
???

DJ?

Sorry, Double Jeopardy.  The thing about how the state isn't supposed to try you twice for the same crime.

From a justice standpoint, I want the guilty found such.

However, from a limited government perspective, I don't want to open the can of worms that is trying somebody at the state level for something, then when they're acquitted there having another whack at them federally.

For every Timothy Hennis, you have an Ammon Bundy, as well as even more sympathetic defendants.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »
Indeed, let us look at their crimes.
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/description-cases-those-sentenced-death-us-military

Ronald Gray - Raped and murdered 2 women, attempted with 3rd.  1 attempt and success were privates, 1 civilian killed.
Hasan Akbar - 2 counts murder, 3 attempted, with a grenade
Andrew Witt - 2 murders, 1 attempted.  With a knife.  Currently OFF death row, sent back by appeals court for resentencing.
Timothy Hennis - 3 murders,   woman an 2 children.  Convicted, then acquitted by the state.  DNA evidence turned up providing for a strong case.  State couldn't do it because of double jeopardy, so the DoD went after him.  Not happy about the end run around double jeopardy, but punishing a murderer?
Nidal Hasan - murdered 13.

All first degree(premeditated) murders, deliberate attacks on fellow soldiers, stuff like that.

I'm not seeing the death penalty for Bergdahl, not by an honest court.  

And to be honest, I'm not that upset about it.  I think there should be a level of difference between the actions.

So how many dead and injured soldiers do they need to tie to Bergdahl and his gone walkabout ???

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
So how many dead and injured soldiers do they need to tie to Bergdahl and his gone walkabout ???

The point I was getting at is that they'd need to tie them to Bergdahl doing it personally.

His going walkabout amounts to voluntary manslaughter at most.  The people who actually killed the soldiers are the ones guilty of murder if done outside the laws of war.

Or do you think that a drunk driver who T-Bones a car and kills 3 people should be sentenced the same as somebody who deliberately stabbed a family of 3 to death?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »

Or do you think that a drunk driver who T-Bones a car and kills 3 people should be sentenced the same as somebody who deliberately stabbed a family of 3 to death?

I'll field this one, a drunk driver absolutely should be sentenced as harshly as someone who stabs 3 people to death, maybe even more harshly.

bob

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
The point I was getting at is that they'd need to tie them to Bergdahl doing it personally.

His going walkabout amounts to voluntary manslaughter at most.  The people who actually killed the soldiers are the ones guilty of murder if done outside the laws of war.

I'd compare it to the guy that helps break into a house and his partner in crime shoots the homeowner (or the third partner in crime that was recently in the nooz).  They are also charged with murder, as if they had pulled the trigger themselves. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »

Actually, I do think so. Does that make me an evil person?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/03/bergdahl-awaits-sentence-after-days-emotional-testimony.html

*expletive deleted*ing bastard gets off with just a dishonorable discharge.  :facepalm: :mad:

Just hope the hell no one offers him a book deal so he can profit off of this.

Not that I would condone this, but he better hope he just goes off somewhere and is never seen again, otherwise someone just might decide to take justice into their own hands.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
I would expect this from a civilian judge (ref: Hawaii and the travel ban), but not a military judge. While  I wouldn't expect a life sentence in these times, at the minimum, he should have spent five years in the klink.

I agree that it is absurd to include his "detention" with the Taliban as "time served". It would have been nice if there was (maybe there is?) something in the UCMJ that would preclude him making a dime from any books, movies, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
I predict he will become a hero and darling of the left.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
I predict he will become a hero and darling of the left.

He and that Manning ahole.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
Actually, I do think so. Does that make me an evil person?

It makes you have a substantially different moral system than I have.

Personally, on the sentence, I figure it's a "hands washing" sentence.  By cutting him off easy, it prevents any appeal, by noting Trump's statement and saying he's going easy because of it, it prevents an appeal there, etc...

We don't have to pay his medical costs in prison and all that.