Author Topic: Smoke/fire detectors...  (Read 835 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Smoke/fire detectors...
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
The smoke detectors in my house are woefully beyond the freshness date, and need to be replaced.

I know there are two types of detectors -- ionization and photoelectric -- and one is better for fast fires, and the other is better for smoldering fires.

Some come with both types of detectors.

I'm getting bogged down in all of "descriptive" information I'm finding on the various manufacturers...

Then there's the issue of interconnected alarms...

Does anyone know of a good, objective reference guide on which alarms to pick for where that will help me cut through all of the choices?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Smoke/fire detectors...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Interconnected alarms require hard wiring to connect them. Even the building codes that require smoke alarms in new construction allow individual, battery-powered alarms in renovations that don't otherwise require opening up walls and ceilings to install the wiring.

As to the choice between ionization and photoelectric, I don't know enough to recommend one or the other. One possible consideration is that the ionization types use radioactive substances, which means that when they reach the end of their service life (which I think is still ten years) they have to be disposed of at a haz-mat site. Just tossing them in the household trash is a HUGE no-no.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
I have interconnected that are battery operated and not hard wired.

I found this site, but I don't know about it's objectivity.

https://www.safewise.com/resources/smoke-alarm-buyers-guide
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
"Interconnected alarms require hard wiring to connect them."

Not anymore.

Wireless interconnected alarms have been around for a number of years now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
Well, that's at least a start. Thanks, adively.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
Well, that's at least a start. Thanks, adively.

You're welcome.

Another one:  https://www.asecurelife.com/best-smoke-detector/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
And here's the take-away information...

"The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) – the largest firefighters union in the U.S. and Canada – recommends photoelectric smoke detectors. During their 2008 conference, the IAFF adopted an official position recommending only photoelectric smoke alarms and stated that dual sensor alarms are no longer acceptable.

The technology used in ionization smoke detectors leads to a delayed warning in smoldering fires, which can lead to greater loss of life. Ionization detectors are also weaker in high airflow environments, so the delay may be even longer. Photoelectric smoke alarms are more effective at warning of smoke from smoldering fires and are less susceptible to nuisance alarms.

To be safe, the IAFF and other safety organizations recommend homeowners replace all ionization, dual sensor, and unknown alarms with photoelectric smoke alarms. To see our #1 recommendation for the best photoelectric smoke detector, jump back up to the top."

Thanks again, Dively. That gives me the information I need to move forward.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »
You're welcome.