Author Topic: One of the best excoriations of the media I've ever seen...  (Read 983 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: One of the best excoriations of the media I've ever seen...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
Good article.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
Trouble is, no lefty will get past the second paragraph.  Even if they did, their "principles" would say it's a good thing the media is biased in their favor.

"Join the side you're on" is  good advice.  Support, subscribe to, those few (and usually small) outlets which reflect your viewpoint... even if not 100%.

Agreed: excellent article, although most of what he says has been said before.  But his actual experiences as a cub reporter and with the NYT before it turned left, are the "heavy guns" of his arguments.

I would like to see his next speech take our hyper lefty educational system (especially the colleges) apart.

Terry, 230RN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:19:40 AM »
Yup.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
Support, subscribe to, those few (and usually small) outlets which reflect your viewpoint... even if not 100%.

While I don't disagree with this, it's a bit disheartening that this is the best we can do. Almost everyone says that they want an unbiased source of news. Report the facts accurately and skip the analysis, interpretation, and opinion right? Now I realize that some bias is unavoidable no matter what, especially when deciding what stories will be reported and what won't but it doesn't seem like anyone out there is every trying to just report accurately. If people really want that why isn't it happening? I have to assume the money is better when you cater to people's viewpoints which suggests that maybe we are lying to ourselves when we say we want unbiased news.

Journalistic integrity is dead. There is no such thing anymore. So everything is about weaponization of information.
  :mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »
It's even worse, now, because as the article notes, the "media" has taken its gloves off and abandoned all pretenses of impartiality and neutrality.

They have but one agenda... Get Trump, get him at any price, get him at all costs.

Not so very long ago these very same media outlets were going after Fox news hard and fast because they claimed that Fox was biased against Obama.

What they're now doing is far and above anything that Fox may have ever done.

But they will never actually admit that, because they're too smug, too sanctimonious, and believe that since America is apparently too dumb to know the "correct" way to vote, it needs to be hammered home. In their minds the end they want truly justifies the measures that they are taking.

All in all, I am SO glad that I didn't say in the journalism track.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Now, I haven't had TV in over 7 years, I do get the Chicago Sun Times on Sunday (it's $.99 per month).

One thing I found (and enjoyed) about Fox News when I was home and Dad had it on TV, was there was 1) Straight News shows.  Bret Baier is one example of an actual reporter who did the 5 W's.   He left the analysis to his guests, and they came from two or more sides to the issue(s).  2) The Opinion shows.  Hannity (ugh), O'Reilly, and The Five.  Each had their own agenda, but it was nice to see that even then (and especially the last two), there was a diversity of opinion (and Greg Gutfeld, who I have found to be hilarious.  I've caught his new show on occasion, and love Tyrus).

But the reason Fox News was so popular was because it presented Conservative viewpoints.  As  opposed to the MSM which ONLY presented liberal viewpoints.  If they ever presented a discussion on an issue it was from people with a liberal and more liberal viewpoint.  (i.e.  In the gun debate they would have one person that only wanted to ban Assault Weapons or Handguns and the other person wanted to ban all guns).

Meanwhile, every Sunday, the Sun-Times 's front page is about the latest malfeasance being committed by the City/Count/State government and/or it's employees, misusing tax money and or it's power, against the people.   It's too the point where if you live in Chicago you know you are getting screwed by on .gov or another on a continuous bias to the point where the residents are just numb to it.  Meanwhile, the PTB live like true robber barons.   And very very, very rarely is someone actually punished.  And those very, very, very few that are punished, are punished for simply being so brazenly stupid and making every else look bad.    Yet the rest of the paper pushes for more government to "fix" the problem without recognizing that damn-near every single previous government program they have advocated for has simply become another trough for the well-connected and/or sleazy (but I repeat myself) to simply dip their beak into, without ever helping the those it was supposed to do something for.   Yet, they fail to ever make that connection.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.