Author Topic: First it was the double-barreled 1911  (Read 2989 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: First it was the double-barreled 1911
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
It's possible that someone entered the incorrect speling in they're machines' dictionary accidentally.  Guage.

Nope, mine popped up as an error.

See attachment.  I've done that with a few words and someday I'll figure out how to edit my dictionary to get rid of errors like that.

Now back to multi-barrel guns.  WRT two barrels, I figure the best combo for around here would be .223 in the NATO chambering, 20 ga. on the bottom.  Selectable by switch, single trigger, big hands, double triggers are not friendly to me.  Don't know if that's mechanically possible, though,  except for having a moveable firing pin on the hammer or a sliding action bar to have the hammer hit one or the other firing pin.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:53:14 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 08:52:16 PM »
It's possible that someone entered the incorrect speling in they're machines' dictionary accidentally.  Guage.

See attachment.  I've done that with a few words and someday I'll figure out how to edit my dictionary to get rid of errors like that.

Now back to multi-barrel guns.  WRT two barrels, I figure the best combo for around here would be .223 in the NATO chambering, 20 ga. on the bottom.  Selectable by switch, single trigger, big hands, double triggers are not friendly to me.  Don't know if that's mechanically possible, though,  except for having a moveable firing pin on the hammer.

Single selective trigger?  Sure it's possible.  I have an AYA double with that.  Switched internally, not with a migrating firing pin.  (The thing that's supposed to trip one or the other is unreliable on mine, and sometimes shoots both barrels at once.  Stout.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Oh, added the sliding transfer bar concept before I read your post.  Hadn't thought of it the first time around. Yeah, heavy recoil on double-firing.  "Can still feel it on damp days."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »

Now back to multi-barrel guns.  WRT two barrels, I figure the best combo for around here would be .223 in the NATO chambering, 20 ga. on the bottom.  Selectable by switch, single trigger, big hands, double triggers are not friendly to me.  Don't know if that's mechanically possible, though,  except for having a moveable firing pin on the hammer or a sliding action bar to have the hammer hit one or the other firing pin.

Years ago I had a co-worker that was a bit of a pedantic jackass. Particularly when it came to spelling. I'm usually pretty good with proper spelling but once in a while my brain moves a bit faster than I can "type" and I'll miss a letter or transpose a couple. I'd misspelled a fairly simple word in an email I'd sent him and he went on like I was some kind of illiterate hillbilly (I'll own the hillbilly label but I'm far from illiterate).
Aforementioned pedantic jackass also had a bad habit of not locking down his computer. He was dayshift, I worked nights. I spent weeks going into his computer and making subtle changes to the dictionary in his email client and MS Word. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
Oh, added the sliding transfer bar concept before I read your post.  Hadn't thought of it the first time around. Yeah, heavy recoil on double-firing.  "Can still feel it on damp days."

Dad has a 2 shot derringer chambered for .357 magnum. He wouldn't accept my suggestion to shoot .38 special in it, said it wasn't chambered for that because the roll mark only said .357 magnum. Dad's a life long hunter and gun owner but he isn't a "gun guy".
Anyway, we were down at the range doing a little plinking one afternoon and he decided to shoot the derringer. Something went wrong with it and it fired off both barrels. Dad being dad decided he need to know for sure if his gun needed to be fixed tried it again. Yup it needed to be fixed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »
Years ago I had a co-worker that was a bit of a pedantic jackass. Particularly when it came to spelling. I'm usually pretty good with proper spelling but once in a while my brain moves a bit faster than I can "type" and I'll miss a letter or transpose a couple. I'd misspelled a fairly simple word in an email I'd sent him and he went on like I was some kind of illiterate hillbilly (I'll own the hillbilly label but I'm far from illiterate).
Aforementioned pedantic jackass also had a bad habit of not locking down his computer. He was dayshift, I worked nights. I spent weeks going into his computer and making subtle changes to the dictionary in his email client and MS Word.  

You low down ditry sitnker.

Let it be known that spelling errors and grammar don't bother me much, but that particular one on gauge occurs a lot on gun boards.  (And I transopse letters accidentally, too.)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
Over the years, my typing has gotten worse.  To the point I transpose letters, and even forget to type in entire words.  I think it's because I'm composing on the fly, and get ahead of myself.  Then I hit post before I go back and double check what I wrote.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
Over the years, my typing has gotten worse.  To the point I transpose letters, and even forget to type in entire words.  I think it's because I'm composing on the fly, and get ahead of myself.  Then I hit post before I go back and double check what I wrote.

As I've gotten older, yes, all that.   Even to the lever of different words than I thought I'd typed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
Over the years, my typing has gotten worse.  To the point I transpose letters, and even forget to type in entire words.  I think it's because I'm composing on the fly, and get ahead of myself.  Then I hit post before I go back and double check what I wrote.
Some days I am worse about that than others.  I think you probably see that most of my posts say they are edited because I see some minor error to fix.  It is worse when I spot the error later, but someone has already quoted me with the error.   =(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
It is worse when I spot the error later, but someone has already quoted me with the error.   =(

I hate it when that happens to me. And it happens far too often.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
I hate it when that happens to me. And it happens far too often.
And here I am reading what you quoted to see if I made an error.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge