Author Topic: Would you save one child or 1000 human embryos?  (Read 1559 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Would you save one child or 1000 human embryos?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Actually, it's not.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22360/pro-abortion-fanatic-presented-thought-experiment-ben-shapiro

Mainly because it isn't using logic, it's using emotional response.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
And, in a counter emotional response:

You're in the same building and you see two women, identical twins actually, trapped by the fire. One is with her husband, the other is pregnant. You can only save one group.

Which do you save?..

Now why are you saving the pregnant twin? (Or, if you didn't answer that, why are you lying to me/yourself?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
How is this scenario different from the trolley problem?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »

Now why are you saving the pregnant twin? (Or, if you didn't answer that, why are you lying to me/yourself?)

Because I have a shot with her.  She'll be grieving for her sister and need emotional 'support'.  The other girl will just run to her Husband.   >:D

(I know, that's bad.  But let's be honest, Abortion Threads crater in under a page.  We might as well get it in early.)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »
Apparently Tomlinson blocked Shapiro on Twitter after Shapiro dismantled his argument.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »
An interesting thing about that question is that you have a reasonable expectation that the 5-year-old child won't be murdered out of hand, or even if he is left to die of neglect, someone will face consequences. On the other hand, if you "save" 1000 frozen embryos, you know society will still view them as non-persons they can keep in a frozen box, or simply discard. So if you choose the embryos, you haven't really saved them. That muddies the waters considerably.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
Because I have a shot with her.  She'll be grieving for her sister and need emotional 'support'.  The other girl will just run to her Husband.   >:D

There is probably some truth in this.

Personally, I think the pregnant woman would have to be in considerably less danger.  A healthy pair of adult humans can get themselves out of a heck of a lot more than a single pregnant human can.  I can provide proportionally less assistance.

Basically, I'm less willing to believe that both are equally 'trapped'.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
I'd choose to save the dog.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:50:59 AM »
And, in a counter emotional response:

You're in the same building and you see two women, identical twins actually, trapped by the fire. One is with her husband, the other is pregnant. You can only save one group.

Which do you save?..

The pregnant twin.  Because the husband of the other one will be in the process of saving her (whether or not he makes it out alive).