Author Topic: OUCH! My poor abused skin!!!!  (Read 3773 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
OUCH! My poor abused skin!!!!
« on: May 03, 2005, 06:44:41 PM »
Smiley  Made ya look!!

Well, I know it was coming for a while, but this morning my electric razor (Norelco three head rotary) finally died.  Plugged it in, turned it on to use and it emitted a high pitched EEEEEEEEEEE-POP! and let the magic blue smoke that drives all electrical devices escape its captivity.

Crud...

So I grabbed the manual razor from the shower, lathered up the face and scrapped away the past 24 hours worth of stubble.  Nice and close, but OHHHH THE BURN!!!

So I needs a replacement for my now ex-razor/new cat toy.  Even though I've used Norelco's for 13 years now, I'm willing to consider alternatives.  Any suggestions?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:59:36 PM »
If you really, truly, sincerely want a good, close shave without razor burn, invest in an old-fashioned straight razor and strop.

You knew there'd have to be a catch, of course: there's a bit of a learning curve, and it tends to be a bit bloody. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never consider using an electric again.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »
Since you are used to an electric razor, you might want to try a Braun self-cleaning razor.  The initial cost is fairly high and refills of the cleaning solution aren't cheap, but it gives a good shave and it is nice to have a clean razor every morning.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:22:08 PM »
Go back to blades.

The Mach 3 by Gilette.

I was a confirmed Atra man for many years. Then Gilette had to go and send me a Mach 3 in the mail. Three blades? What a crock o'crap, I thought. Marketing hype. What next? 10 blades?

"The first blade pulls the hair up, the second and third cut it incredibly close, and the fourth through tenth gouge progressively deeper until the hair folicle is eradicated, giving you the closest shave possible. Warning, may cause unconsciousness due to loss of blood."

My first shave? I was convinced.

Schick did just send me a Quatro for women (it was free!), and that gives a nice shave, but I still like the Mach 3.

The best thing about the Mach 3? I don't know whether it's just my whiskers, or what, but I'm approaching my SEVENTYTH shave with a single blade cartridge, and it's still performing better than my Atras did when the blade cartridge was brand new.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:38:04 PM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
... invest in an old-fashioned straight razor and strop.

You knew there'd have to be a catch, of course: there's a bit of a learning curve, and it tends to be a bit bloody...
That is an understatement.  Yes its a great shave.. but man does it hurt when you slip up.. and the down side.. is the long cut you make instead of the little nick...

Close shave.. is true... got to be real careful though... make sure the bathroom door is locked good when shaving... I sliced my finger up bad one day when a room-mate scared me by opening the door when I was shaving....

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 07:41:27 PM »
I'd vote for a Mach 3 with the lubricating strips and consider using this:

www.shavedeluxe.com

the stuff works on the toughest beard and the most sensitive skin.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 08:49:42 PM »
Geez!

That Shave Delux also carries one heck of a delux price!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:33 AM »
Seriously, just get a Mach 3 and good brush and shaving soap. I know its a weird combination but it really gets a smooth close shave, and you have to TRY to cut yourself. For some reason it also completely eliminated and sign of razor-bumps which i had previously been quite prone to.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:47:32 AM »
C_yeager took the words right out of my mouth, mach 3 with brush and a nice quality soap. Consider after shave gel of some kind to kill bugs and moisturise skin.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 02:29:10 AM »
I've tried ShaveDeluxe and wasn't impressed.  I tossed it after about 10 shaves.  It worked ok, but it made me feel like I had bathed my face in cooking oil.  I get the best shave (most comfortable, not closest) by shaving under the shower without shaving cream.  I use a disposable Mach3 women's razor.

I too got a free Quattro women's razor in the mail, but the dang head is too big to maneuveur underneath my nose properly.

If you want your free, pink, Quattro, go here: http://www.holdonladies.com/html/sq_home.html

Chris

kfranz

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 05:16:55 AM »
My electric died many years ago, and I couldn't justify the cost of a new one at the time, so I went the the disposable razor gig.  Figured out quickly that it was much easier in the shower, and the non-disposable types had better heft.  Got nostalgic for a time and did the straight razor thing, but it was too time/attention intensive.  I now use the Mach 3 with whatever conditioner(OK, not the expensive stuff) the wife has in the shower.  Works much better for me than standard shaving cream, and the Mach 3 "feels" better than the double blade jobs.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 07:36:53 AM »
Try a cat.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 08:44:52 AM »
I use this, and I'm getting the best shaves of my life.  You might try the Brookstone stores-they're discontinuing it, but one near you may still have it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 10:14:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks.  Interesting  that the Mach 3 is recommended by several, since that is the manual razor I have for the shower.

grampster: Hmmm...I tried each of the four in the house, but they all objected MOST VIGOROUSLY to getting wet and soapy, and their claws only got a few of the wiskers.  You got any suggestions on soothing ruffled feathers on a cat? Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 11:22:51 AM »
Heh Heh Heh, soapin' them cats up was yer first mistake.  Perhaps I neglected to mention putting the hairball remover on yer cheeks and lettin' them cats lick yer whiskers off. cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 03:12:40 PM »
Mike, the last bottle I bought of SD lasted almost 8 months.  It only takes about 6-8 drops.  I pay about $5. for a bottle at Whole Foods, not that I shop there a lot.

mtnbkr, at least Skunky hasn't chimed in about shaving the Chinese way with soybean oil Cheesy

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 03:41:37 PM »
I've had a Braun and other electrics, but I've preferred and used daily a twin blade razor.  I always saw the ads for the 3 and 4 blades razors and thought it was the biggest bunch of hype - just like Mike said, "What a crock o' crap."  Several months ago I got a free 3 blade razor with a can of shaving gel.  I tossed it in a drawer and figured I'd use if I ran out of blades for my regular razor.  Guess what?  I ran out of blades for my regular razor . . . about two months ago.  I don't know how it works, but this three blade thing kicks ass, and I've been using the same one for the whole time.  My beard is pretty tough.  Cheap disposables dull in a few days and don't shave that well when they're new.  Others clog real easily.  If I can get by on five or six of these 3 blade razors a year, it'll save me money and they shave great.  I can't even remember what brand it is.
For entertainment purposes only.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 04:59:13 PM »
Mach 3 user here too. Should have ran a poll! Smiley
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 03:04:53 AM »
I am a long time razor shaver.  I prefer the Gilette Sensor Excel (no Mach III and all that fancy crap.  Can't cut a straight line with those for 'burns dude).  Anyway, I was getting really bad ingrown hairs despite shaving with the grain so I grew a goatee.  Well, that helped for my chin but I was still getting them elsewhere.  I remembered that I had bought a really fancy, expensive Panasonic wet/dry shaver a few years ago and used it for a while.  Wet shaving sucked and I lost the charger for it so I had to buy something new.  Not wanting to spend nearly $300 on a new razor, I decided to talk to my barber.  He uses a $20 shaver from Walmart.  His is a Huh? but I didn't see it at Walmart when I went to look. I did see a Braun though so I decided to give it a whirl.  The $20 Braun shaves better than the $300 Panasonic, hands down, and the ingrown hairs have stopped.

For $20, it was well worth the bucks to try something else.

Greg

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 04:50:41 AM »
Another vote for Mach 3. The replacement blade cartridges are expensive buggers but they seem to last a lot longer than other disposables.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 05:28:37 AM »
I'm for Mach 3 as well.  how long they last probably depends on your facial hair, but I stretch them out for several shaves each, and it's both comfortable and close.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
TarpleyG, funny you should mention ingrown hairs.  I used to use a Mach III and developed a terrible problem with ingrown hairs.  Switching to an electric razor took care of the problem.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Chris

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »
Anothe one for Mach 3.  I'm still amazed by how much better the shave is with a third blade.  Anyone try one of the vibrating ones?  Does it actually do anything, or just a gimmick?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 08:28:11 AM »
Mach 3 again.  Gets me close enough that when out in the field I can go a day or two without shaving and noone really notices.  Really great for when pulling more than 24 hrs straight and don't have time to take care of eating, drinking and going to the bathroom let alone shaving.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 10:16:54 AM »
TarpleyG, funny you should mention ingrown hairs.  I used to use a Mach III and developed a terrible problem with ingrown hairs.  Switching to an electric razor took care of the problem.
Yep, them little bastards can hurt and they like to stick around for a few days.  No more though.  I have to shave more often but it is better than the alternative.

Greg