Author Topic: Thoughts on the Niger Condolences Debacle?  (Read 2925 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Thoughts on the Niger Condolences Debacle?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Around here, Louisville, CO is pronounced with the "s."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:16:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Huntsville, AL and Huntsville, TX are pronounced differently but it's subtle.  In Alabama, the emphasis is on the first syllable and the second is cut really short.  In Texas, both syllables are have the same same slight emphasis like it's two words "Hunts Ville"
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Somebody ask Rocketman how they pronounce "Lebanon" in Oregon.  :laugh:

People in Moscow, ID seem to prefer to use "Moscoe".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
The left is despicable. From the Federalist:

We have option A: President Trump called a grieving widow, when there was no requirement to do so, with the sole intention of insulting her. He purposefully said hurtful words out of cruelty. The left was right all along, and our President is utterly despicable.

And we have option B: President Trump elected to call a grieving widow because he empathized with her and he wished to convey his deep appreciation for her husband’s sacrifice. His comments were well intended, but possibly came out wrong. He’s a human being who might not always say the right thing to a person who has every reason to be inconsolable.

And then there’s General Kelly. Again, we have option A: Trump forced Kelly to speak out against Congresswoman Wilson. His emotional moments were faked for the cameras. He knowingly dishonored the memory of his dead son in order to keep a job that by all accounts isn’t in jeopardy.

And option B: John Kelly, a Gold Star parent whose son was killed in combat, was upset and insulted by a Congresswoman’s politicization of a fallen American soldier. The emotion on his face was brutally real, because the loss of a child leaves a wound that never truly heals. Kelly would have refused to propagate a message he didn’t believe in, as any decent parent would, if propagation meant cheapening his son’s sacrifice.

Even if the lefties don't believe option A they'll still say it.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
The left is despicable. From the Federalist:

The Occam’s Razor setup is cute but what he really seems to be demonstrating is how to setup a false dichotomy.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
Somebody ask Rocketman how they pronounce "Lebanon" in Oregon.  :laugh:

Oh, heck -- ask him how they pronounce "Oregon" in Oregon.

Around here, we pronounce it "OR'-ah-gon". Some years ago I worked with a husband and wife pair who were from there. They pronounced it something like "or-EE'-gun..
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
Oh, heck -- ask him how they pronounce "Oregon" in Oregon.

Around here, we pronounce it "OR'-ah-gon". Some years ago I worked with a husband and wife pair who were from there. They pronounced it something like "or-EE'-gun..

Most people I know out this way (and me) say it more like oaruhgun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »
Leb-a-nun, Orygun.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 03:28:15 AM »
Don't ever pronounce Arkansas City, Kansas, as AR-kan-saw, as you would Arkansas.  It is pronounced AR-Kansas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!