Author Topic: Rand Paul Attacked in His Home  (Read 17307 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Rand Paul Attacked in His Home
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 03:44:15 PM »
One month in jail for aggravated assault is pretty solidly in "slap on the wrist" territory in my book....

If it were just that, I'd agree. However, he's got a $10k fine, 100 hrs of community service, supervised release (i.e. ankle monitor), and is now a convicted felon. The fact that he didn't get it it finagled down to some kind of misdemeanor is very surprising.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
30 days in the slammer, one year of supervised release, 100 hours community service, $10,000 fine.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/15/neighbor-who-attacked-rand-paul-sentenced-to-30-days-in-prison.html

Honestly I'm a bit shocked. I figured a slap on the wrist and a fine. This is substantially more than anticipated.

Brad

"Supervised release' means that Mr Paul can make as much noise making as large of brush piles as he wants for a year...I'd start my yard work at 6AM on sunday mornings, because I'm an *expletive deleted*hole. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
One month in jail for aggravated assault is pretty solidly in "slap on the wrist" territory in my book....

I would guess most first time offenders (Especially a doctor) would get some form of a suspended sentence for 6 months to a year as long they stay out of trouble.

30 days jail, etc. is pretty harsh for a first time offense.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »

Agreed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
Best part for Paul is this is now officially legal history. So the next time there will be a much higher bar to the neighbor being the aggrieved party.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »

A violent unprovoked assault on an innocent person resulting in severe injury.  One month in jail.  Disgusting.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
A violent unprovoked assault on an innocent person resulting in severe injury.  One month in jail.  Disgusting.

One month in jail, 100 hrs community service, $10k fine, and convicted felon.  I agree with the others, I suspect that's pretty much in line with other folks that have enough cash to hire a lawyer and are making their first run through the system.  Even with the growth of what charges are felonies, being a felon is no small thing. 

It also seems like Senator Paul isn't too upset with his punishment.  At least he isn't decrying that the Dr. got away with it.  If the victim isn't too worried, I'll save my outrage.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
"Supervised release' means that Mr Paul can make as much noise making as large of brush piles as he wants for a year...I'd start my yard work at 6AM on sunday mornings, because I'm an *expletive deleted*hole. >:D

Why does that make me think of the scene in Animal House where they have to chainsaw a dead horse to get it out of the dean's office?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
100 hrs community service

That's 2.5 (regular 40 hour) weeks, so it may end up being the most painful part of the sentence if the judge is creative.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:17 AM »
That's 2.5 (regular 40 hour) weeks, so it may end up being the most painful part of the sentence if the judge is creative.

Doing Rand Paul's yard work?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 04:55:44 AM »
Doing Rand Paul's yard work?

He's a doctor; handling all the urology, proctology, gynecology and dermatology issues at the nearest homeless shelter would be a possibility.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/30/690169411/jury-awards-sen-rand-paul-more-than-580-000-in-damages-in-attack-by-neighbor

Senator Paul gets the big bucks from a personal injury lawsuit.
I was thinking that the felony charge (even with lower jail time) helped justify the civil suit.  It is enough of a sting to make the guy think a little before he decides to go off in a rage.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2019, 11:44:33 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/30/690169411/jury-awards-sen-rand-paul-more-than-580-000-in-damages-in-attack-by-neighbor

Senator Paul gets the big bucks from a personal injury lawsuit.

More journalistic fail:

The attack was not politically motivated, according to Boucher, but was prompted by Paul leaving brush and leaves between their two properties.

It is highly unlikely that the developer left an un-deeded, no-man's land strip between Paul's property and Boucher's property. Therefore, Paul almost certainly did not leave anything "between" their two properties. He may have piled brush and leaves on his property, near the line with Boucher's property, but unless that violated a regulation of the HOA, there's nothing wrong with that. And, if it did violate an HOA regulation, it would seem that the appropriate recourse would have been to report it to the HOA for enforcement, not a physical assault.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
I don't see that as journalistic fail.

I see that was reporting Boucher's contention, that the material was left "between" their properties. My guess is that he actually means "between the respective houses."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.