Author Topic: Chicken Tamale Hotdish*  (Read 9930 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Chicken Tamale Hotdish*
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Made this today for the first time: bettycrocker.com/recipes/chicken-tamale-casserole/3fa83365-8b4c-41a3-853e-90a00f696ea4?p=1

Wife bought a ready-to-bake tamale casserole from Costco yesterday and burnt it to a crisp (I didn't ask.)  I was gonna buy one to replace it, but those things are expensive!  So I searched for a recipe and found the one linked above.  I followed it for the most part, but I used green enchilada sauce instead of red, and I added some canned black beans (rinsed), chopped onion (not much), and a diced red Serrano pepper to the meat layer.

I will definitely be making this again, with leftover turkey, or roast pork, or hamburger meat, etc.  (red sauce for beef; pork can go red or green)

*we call casseroles "hotdish" here.  I don't know why
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chicken Tamale Hotdish*
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
OOH! That sounds really good! Going to have to give that a try.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
Saved to my wife's Pintrest account!  Thanks.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »
Made this today for the first time: bettycrocker.com/recipes/chicken-tamale-casserole/3fa83365-8b4c-41a3-853e-90a00f696ea4?p=1

*we call casseroles "hotdish" here.  I don't know why

I live 30 miles south of the hot dish party line, never understood why it called that either.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
I've never even heard of the hot dish party line. I'm assuming that that is just a regional name for a hot casserole.

I'm going to make this tomorrow, but I think I'm going to make it with ground turkey instead of shredded chicken.

I'm also going to modify it some, adding some garlic, onion, and a chopped chipotle with some of its adobo sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
I've never even heard of the hot dish party line. I'm assuming that that is just a regional name for a hot casserole.

Hot dish = weird name for casserole

Hot dish party = weird name for potluck

"Hot dish party" line = demarcation of where people stop talking strange and call it a "potluck dinner".  
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »

"Hot dish party" line = demarcation of where people stop talking strange and call it a "potluck dinner".  

"Bible Belt" = place where you call it a "potbless dinner," because luck is a pagan concept.  :lol:  [tinfoil]

I've heard of "hotdish," but I never knew what it meant.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »

:rofl:

It's the south and east border of Minnesota and south and west border of North and South Dakota. Then north all the way to Hudson Bay.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Turkey is browning...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
Ok. Not terrible. Good dinner on a cold night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
Next time I make this, I am going to make my own enchilada sauce. It is crazy easy to make, and the canned stuff from the store is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:29:16 AM »
Next time I make this, I am going to make my own enchilada sauce. It is crazy easy to make, and the canned stuff from the store is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

We made it Saturday as well. VERY tasty, but a bit too spicy for the children. (Even the "mild" enchilada sauce had a good bit of spice).

I'll try it again with a milder flavor. My wife and I loved it. As mike said, very good for a cold night.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Make your own enchilada sauce. That way you can really control the spice. And, as I noted, it's ridiculously easy to make.

Had I googled a little bit before making it the first time I would have made my own sauce.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »

Got a recipe for enchilada sauce?  (red or green?)  I buy the 28 oz cans at Aldi, or sometimes the Las Palmas brand at Walmart.  I'm pretty sure I could make the something like red using dried peppers and roux, but the green seems trickier.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
Sorry, Bob, I missed your question about the sauce recipe. I made the red, but there are also many recipes for green sauce.

I used this one: https://cookieandkate.com/2016/enchilada-sauce-recipe/

It came together quickly and was a lot better than the can of Old El Paso.

There are SO many different recipes for "authentic" enchilada sauce it's not even funny. I picked the one above because it uses a boost of cinnamon, and I REALLY like cinnamon when paired with savory tomato sauces.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Sorry, Bob, I missed your question about the sauce recipe. I made the red, but there are also many recipes for green sauce.

There are SO many different recipes for "authentic" enchilada sauce it's not even funny. I picked the one above because it uses a boost of cinnamon, and I REALLY like cinnamon when paired with savory tomato sauces.

Thanks, Mike.  Interesting recipe.  It doesn't have nearly as much chili in it as I expected.  I tend to use whole dried chili peppers; usually ancho and New Mexico or guajillo.  Looks like one would be more than plenty.  Maybe I need to toast and grind some of my peppers so they don't take up so much cabinet space...
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »

I like some of the Cookie and Kate stuff.  She has a West African Peanut Soup that uses collard greens that SWMBO and I love.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  Interesting recipe.  It doesn't have nearly as much chili in it as I expected.  I tend to use whole dried chili peppers; usually ancho and New Mexico or guajillo.  Looks like one would be more than plenty.  Maybe I need to toast and grind some of my peppers so they don't take up so much cabinet space...

It's fairly mild, so I'm going to play with the basic ingredients and get some more heat into it. I would have used some cayenne pepper in it, but I discovered that I was out of cayenne. I did add some smoked paprika, and that was a nice addition.

I tried it before I put the vinegar in, and after, and the vinegar is, I feel, essential. It really makes the flavors pop.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
I like some of the Cookie and Kate stuff.  She has a West African Peanut Soup that uses collard greens that SWMBO and I love.

I just looked at that peanut soup, and OMG it looks like college night out at the fraternity vomit... Gotta admit, though, that it sounds good, and it certainly looks easy enough.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »
I made the recipe in the top post for the church potluck Sunday.  I used green sauce instead of red (because chicken), and I used a 4 oz can of diced jalapenos instead of green chilies.  It was a big hit.  I thought it was good but a little too sweet.  It should be a little sweet, but the canned corn is probably enough.  I need to figure out how to make this without the Jiffy mix.  Maybe use 8 ounces of Aunt Jemima's cornbread mix (I don't think it has any sugar) and 2 or 3 Tbsp of oil instead.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »
This is one of my favorite recipes from this site (the only one I like more is the instant mashed potato gnocchi).

I've not made it this year, yet, because I'm still in active diet mode and, well, this thing isn't really diet friendly. And it's SO damned good I want to eat the entire thing.

For the most part I've subbed out the shredded chicken and use ground turkey, and as I noted below, I make my own red sauce, although I really should try green sauce.

I'm going to try Mexican cheese in it next time instead of "Mexican cheese blend," which is often mostly cheddar.

I figure asadero and manchego for the primary cheese because they melt so nicely and queso blanco sprinkled over the top (especially if I can find one that's made with lime juice).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:34:23 AM by Mike Irwin »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
 I thought it was good but a little too sweet.  It should be a little sweet, but the canned corn is probably enough.

My money is on the corn muffin mix. They tend to run sweet. Some of them sickeningly so. They're called corn muffins for a reason. The box mixes have the equivalent of three or four tablespoons of sugar in them.

No need for the box mix. Ditch the box, and the sweet, by substituting in the following:

2/3 c cornmeal
1/2 c AP flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar

Sift or whisk together and use where the box mix is indicated.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:30:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
That's what I was going to suggest -- dropping the box mix and going with a bag of cornmeal.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »
For some reason, as I was getting dressed for work this morning, I thought about this recipe.

I think I need to make it this weekend because damn is it good.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
Making this right now.  I used 1 cup of Aunt Jemima's cornbread mix instead of a box of Jiffy to cut the sweetness.  (it has flour, salt, and baking powder)  I also cut back on the chicken a little and added half a can of drained and rinsed black beans.

I'm using half of a 28 oz can of green sauce.  I will make this again in about a week using a pound of ground pork instead of chopped chicken to use the other half a can -- unless I use them for burritos or stir into boxed mac & cheese before then.

ETA:  AJ's cornbread mix almost worked.  Actually it did work but it's a little dry; this will taste a lot better tomorrow.  So I looked at a box of Jiffy and it contains shortening. A cup of cornbread mix and a tablespoon or two of oil (probably 2) should be about right.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:46:25 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."