Author Topic: Chicken Tamale Hotdish*  (Read 9931 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Chicken Tamale Hotdish*
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »
I always add about a quarter cup of oil for a full pan of cornbread. Keeps it moist. Nothing fancy needed. Vegetable or canola is fine.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2020, 03:27:19 PM »
This is still one of the best recipes posted here, and one of my absolute favorites.

Once it gets good and cold, I'm going to make it again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

robear

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »
I made this on Tuesday using supermarket rotisserie chicken.   I added the beans and chopped onions like someone said.   I used a jalapeno cornbread mix instead of the muffin mix, adding about 1/4 cup canola oil.    I also added a packet of Sazon GOYA and some smoked paprika to the chicken mix.

...it was excellent.   More importantly it was even better the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight.  Reheated, of course..

Next time I think I will let it cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes before adding the cheese, just to cook the onions a bit more.

Thanks for this one, it's going in the good recipe folder.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:04 AM »
I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving dinner.  You guys better be right!   =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
Make your own enchilada sauce! Don't go canned. Homemade is easy and it is SO much better.

I attached a link to a recipe for one I like earlier in this thread. It has a bit of cinnamon in it, which I think gives it a much deeper flavor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »
I just looked at that peanut soup, and OMG it looks like college night out at the fraternity vomit... Gotta admit, though, that it sounds good, and it certainly looks easy enough.

Mike, if you haven't made the peanut soup, give it a try.  Make sure to use natural peanut butter not Jif, Peter Pan, etc.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Make your own enchilada sauce! Don't go canned. Homemade is easy and it is SO much better.

I attached a link to a recipe for one I like earlier in this thread. It has a bit of cinnamon in it, which I think gives it a much deeper flavor.

Okay, I printed the recipe from your link; thanks!  I've got most of those ingredients already, I think I just lack tomato paste and vegetable broth.  Looks great, and it looks like this might elevate the casserole from pretty good to exceptional, worthy of a new Thanksgiving tradition.   :cool:

I really wanted to make pork shoulder on the rotisserie, like I did last year, but my wife is currently on a "no pork" phase, and she is laid up from an operation.  I don't want her to feel left out!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
I made mine with chicken broth. The reason she used vegetable broth is she's vegetarian.

I've made the casserole several times and have made numerous tweeks to the basic recipe; each time has been better than before.

I've consistently used ground turkey, though, because that's what I like. One of these days I want to try it with roast turkey, though.