Author Topic: Lithium button batteries  (Read 1469 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Lithium button batteries
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »
Are off-brand, generic button batteries safe?

I need a button battery to replace the CMOS backup in an older computer I'm working on. I could (and may) go to Wal-Mart and just buy one or two, but it seems I always need a 2032 at a time when it's not convenient to run to Wal-Mart. Amazon has the name brands, but they also have some "Generic" (brand name!) for a lot less. I just don't know if I'm comfortable with them. Opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Cr2032-Br2032-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B00UCWMSJM/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1509903399&sr=8-7&keywords=2032+battery
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:37:33 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Lithium button batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
I needs a couple of CR2032's and Amazon has good prices on name brands too, like Panasonic and Sony (about $5 for 10, IIRC) but I wonder if they are genuine or might be counterfeits?
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
I've used generic button cells drop shipped from China off ebay for years.  Handy for dial calipers, my welding helmet, laser pointer, bathroom scale, etc.

Never had a problem yet, and for like 10% of common retail costs here in the US.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
I feel like the ones in my welding helmet don't last as long, but probably just my bias, even the name brand ones probably made by the same Chinese kid.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
I've used generic button cells drop shipped from China off ebay for years.  Handy for dial calipers, my welding helmet, laser pointer, bathroom scale, etc.

Never had a problem yet, and for like 10% of common retail costs here in the US.

I use those generic ones in the laser sights in my carry guns.  I just flash 'em to test 'em before mounting up.  (Yes, finger off'n the trigger.  I've even got that way with electric drills and hacksaws and whatnot.)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »
The local Home Despot stocks 2032s.  You might check yours if you need them faster than online delivery.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
Wal-Mart has them ... $8 for four batteries. I bought them there, this time, but enough devices use them that I'd like to keep some on hand. Paying 50 cents each is a lot more attractive than paying $2 each, unless the cheap ones don't work, or self-immolate in service.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
I ordered 10 Panasonic CR2032's from Amazon.  They just got here today, but somehow I bought CR2025's  :facepalm:  I know I searched on the 32's, so not sure how I got the wrong ones but I checked the order and it was my mistake.

I got them mostly for a digital scale.  I need to see if the scale has a spring contact that might take up the extra space; maybe these will still work.  Or maybe I can put a little brass spacer in there...  They should be the right diameter...
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 01:35:01 AM »
I ordered 10 Panasonic CR2032's from Amazon.  They just got here today, but somehow I bought CR2025's  :facepalm:  I know I searched on the 32's, so not sure how I got the wrong ones but I checked the order and it was my mistake.

I got them mostly for a digital scale.  I need to see if the scale has a spring contact that might take up the extra space; maybe these will still work.  Or maybe I can put a little brass spacer in there...  They should be the right diameter...

They are both 20mm diameter, the difference is the thickness.  2032's are 3.2mm thick, and 2025's are 2.5mm thick.  Slightly less mAh/runtime as well.  

So a 0.7mm thick brass spacer will do what you need.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
They are both 20mm diameter, the difference is the thickness.  2032's are 3.2mm thick, and 2025's are 2.5mm thick.  Slightly less mAh/runtime as well.  

So a 0.7mm thick brass spacer will do what you need.

The battery holder contacts are on the side and the bottom, so all I needed was a little piece of card stock for a shim, and might not have needed that.  The batteries work just fine, they just won't last as long as 32's.  (they better last as long as the original battery, it was displaying LO and immediately shutting after just 3 days :mad: )
"It's good, though..."