Author Topic: OTC pain relievers as good as opiates for injury pain  (Read 6319 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
OTC pain relievers as good as opiates for injury pain
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2661581

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-pain-opioids-ibuprofen-20171107-story.html

This is a major finding: 400 mg ibuprofen (Advil) and 1000 mg. acetaminophen (Tylenol) combined was just as good for pain relief for injuries as are narcotic pain meds in the ER.  I have got to remember this the next time my left hip acts up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: OTC pain relievers as good as opiates for injury pain
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »
That's very interesting. Having only a layperson's knowledge, I had always assumed, whether wives tale or just obsolete data, you never mix together something like Advil and Tylenol.

I'm going to make note of this though. I wonder if they have done, or are going to do any longer term studies regarding how long you can be on that regime. I'll certainly consider it for the one off pulled back, etc. where I would just want a couple of doses to get through the first day or so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »
Something similar to this came up a year or so ago here regarding back pain. I put the protocol described in the article to the test and it really helped my back long-term.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
I find that 750mg Naproxin (OTC Aleve)works really well for swmbo and I for a variety of aches and pains.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
Having been through shoulder surgery, sometimes you need the opioid for a short term.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
This is some potentially good stuff.  However, aren't there worries about kidney problems with long term and/or high dosages with some of the NSAIDs?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:32:43 AM »
Having been through shoulder surgery, sometimes you need the opioid for a short term.

I'll 2nd that.
With a probable hip replacement in my near future I can absolutely confirm that Tylenol and/or other OTC NSAIDS don't do much for my arthritis pain in my hip. When it gets bad enough that it keeps me awake Tramadol knocks enough of the edge off to let me sleep some.  The side effects can be a pain in the ass though. OIC can be a bitch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 07:45:38 AM »
I find that 750mg Naproxin (OTC Aleve)works really well for swmbo and I for a variety of aches and pains.

Naproxen Sodium is my absolute 100% go to for just about all aches and pains. It's far more effective for me than Tylenol, and more effective than ibuprofen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
This is some potentially good stuff.  However, aren't there worries about kidney problems with long term and/or high dosages with some of the NSAIDs?

Yes, many of the NSAIDs can be hard on the kidneys.

But, a Tylenol overdose, or taking it with alcohol, and literally destroy your liver to the point where the only alternatives are a transplant or getting your will in order really quickly.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
What do you know!  The medics were RIGHT!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »

It is important to note that the study looked at a single dose of meds in the ER setting and looked at pain relief two hours after the dose.  You would not want to take this dose on an ongoing basis without checking with your medical provider first.  Chronic high doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen can do bad things to various organ systems. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
That's very interesting. Having only a layperson's knowledge, I had always assumed, whether wives tale or just obsolete data, you never mix together something like Advil and Tylenol.

I'm going to make note of this though. I wonder if they have done, or are going to do any longer term studies regarding how long you can be on that regime. I'll certainly consider it for the one off pulled back, etc. where I would just want a couple of doses to get through the first day or so.

I was always told not to mix them so you could alternate doses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
It is important to note that the study looked at a single dose of meds in the ER setting and looked at pain relief two hours after the dose.  You would not want to take this dose on an ongoing basis without checking with your medical provider first.  Chronic high doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen can do bad things to various organ systems. 

Vs. opioid addiction?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »
Vs. opioid addiction?

Interestingly enough, chronic opioids can be 'safer' from the long-term organ damage standpoint, especially if you are taking opioids that do not have acetaminophen in them.  But you have to balance that against the respiratory depression and overdose leading to death potential of opioids.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
"But you have to balance that against the respiratory depression and overdose leading to death potential of opioids."

Not to mention chronic and often severe constipation.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
I avoid opioids as much as possible.  However, with Factor V Leiden if I have surgery I can't take any NSAIDs (besides Tylenol) due them also being blood thinners and post surgery I'd also be on Lovenox.  And, for me, Tylenol (at doses that can be safely taken) doesn't touch pain, even mild pain like a pulled muscle, or sore joint, or headache.  But I'm also allergic to most opioids I've ever tried.  So I'm kind of screwed if I need major pain relief like from a surgery.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
I will say Advil does as well as Tramadol did when I get a plantar fasciitis flare up.  To bad I can't take it anymore due to it screwing severely with my blood pressure.  And I did not like what Tramadol did to me. 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
I take 800mg Ibuprofen and 1000mg Tylenol up to twice a day for my pain. If that doesn't cut it, I start stacking on 5mg Hydrocodone.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »
Yes, many of the NSAIDs can be hard on the kidneys.

But, a Tylenol overdose, or taking it with alcohol, and literally destroy your liver to the point where the only alternatives are a transplant or getting your will in order really quickly.

Tylenol and liver damage, that's the problem I was trying to recall.  I wonder if Tylenol helps memory function?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
This one hits close to home.
Dr. is in trouble for dealing pills.
He fixed my shoulder in 2009 when I blew out a tendon.

http://www.newson6.com/story/36751991/claremore-doctor-under-investigation-for-obtaining-pain-killers-by-fraud

I know addiction can be a serious bitch but damn, you'd think a freaking doctor would know he won't be able to get away with it for long.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
I was always told not to mix them so you could alternate doses.

I have been told by multiple docs to take both ibuprofen and acetaminophen at the same time, starting with my knee surgery a decade ago.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:12 AM »
I know addiction can be a serious bitch but damn, you'd think a freaking doctor would know he won't be able to get away with it for long.

That's the problem with addiction, you lose rationality.

Oh, and from the article, we can see the march of civil asset forfeiture: "They said they also seized Thomas’ Jeep, saying it was used to transport the pills."

Forfeiture of assets should require conviction in court.  They shouldn't be grabbing random assets just because they say it happened to be used for something.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »
This one hits close to home.
Dr. is in trouble for dealing pills.
He fixed my shoulder in 2009 when I blew out a tendon.

http://www.newson6.com/story/36751991/claremore-doctor-under-investigation-for-obtaining-pain-killers-by-fraud

I was surprised by how often we came across doctors and nurses as buyers (and occasional dealers) when I was with the drug task force.  For a lot, though, a little chronic pain and readily available meds made for a bad start...

Personally, when I broke my arm back in 2007 (open compound fracture of radius and ulna, two plates and 15 screws to repair), I started on a morphine pump (I asked for it to be removed the day after surgery), switched to oxycodone pills (which gave me nightmares so bad I refused the second dose), then a bottle of 50 Tylenol 4 (Tylonol with codeine) pills.  I took one the first day, and one after my first PT session.  Switched to Advil.  Did 800 mgs 3 times a day.

A nurse working with me while I was post-op for my arm gave some advice...the longer I used the opiods, the harder it would be to stop using them.  I listened. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 12:37:04 AM »
I was worried about the Codone I was taking and the Methadone, even though it was a low dose of the Methadone. I finally withdrew from Pain Management and got to where I take a 5mg hydrocodone pill or two if I just HAVE to and I don't do that regularly or often. I built up a large tolerance for codone/pain meds and had a surprisingly easy time getting off of a steady diet of them and I know that is the exception to the rule. These days I do the 800MG Ibuprofen/1000MG Tylenol cocktail and only when that doesn't do the trick do I start into the Hydrocodone.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:07 AM »
".the longer I used the opiods, the harder it would be to stop using them.  "

Yeppers. Addiction starts early.