Author Topic: Not gonna waste this tragedy...  (Read 1476 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Not gonna waste this tragedy...
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-democrats-introduce-major-gun-ban-bill/article/2640045

Feinstein and company introduced a new assault weapon ban bill today.  Same as last time, pretty much, including the 10 round mag capacity limit.  Guess I may need to do some mag shopping soon before panic buying sends prices skyrocketing...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Not gonna waste this tragedy...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »
The Republicans had better not choke in the midterms. And Trump better remember who invited him to the party.

But how is anything the Democrats propose a major anything? They should be totally incapacitated right now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »
But how is anything the Democrats propose a major anything? They should be totally incapacitated right now.

It is showboating.  Just one more thing to keep republicans in office.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
Based on this week's state elections, the Republicans had better quit their squabbling, forget trying to resist Trump, and start doing some of what they were elected to do ... or they're going to lose control of Congress.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:34:35 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »
Based on this weeks state elections, the Republicans had better quit their squabbling, forget trying to resist Trump, and start doing some of what they were elected to do ... or they're going to lose control of Congress.

What makes you think the Republicans have had control of Congress?  Their actions to date sure don't show it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:35:03 PM »
What makes you think the Republicans have had control of Congress?  Their actions to date sure don't show it.

That's pretty much the point I was trying to make.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:19 AM »
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make.

And this is what worries me.  They haven't acted like a party controlling the Oval Office and Congress.   With all the noise the media is making, how many will cave to perceived "public opinion"?  And, how far will they cave?  Or will they "negotiate and compromise" so they can appear to be bipartisan when running next time?  Yeah, I've got a lot of fears in this one...

(fixed a typo)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:54:31 AM by Chris »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
Based on this week's state elections, the Republicans had better quit their squabbling, forget trying to resist Trump, and start doing some of what they were elected to do ... or they're going to lose control of Congress.
Yes.  I hate them.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
From an individualistic, selfish viewpoint, what motivation is there for the individual long-term Republican in the Senate or House to change anything?

No matter which party dominates, once elected, they get their salaries and pension goodies, "power" in terms of staff and access to the newpapers, "honor" (standard letter salutations include "the Honorable so-and-so), and prestige.

So what is their motivation to change, when the goal is to be re-elected? After all, prior history says whatever they did previously to stay in office should not be changed.

So why bother trying to upset the system?

The Honorable Terry, 230RN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
From an individualistic, selfish viewpoint, what motivation is there for the individual long-term Republican in the Senate or House to change anything?

No matter which party dominates, once elected, they get their salaries and pension goodies, "power" in terms of staff and access to the newpapers, "honor" (standard letter salutations include "the Honorable so-and-so), and prestige.

So what is their motivation to change, when the goal is to be re-elected? After all, prior history says whatever they did previously to stay in office should not be changed.

So why bother trying to upset the system?

The Honorable Terry, 230RN

I think, usually, it's because somebody wants a favor, and will scratch their back in return. Or, SOMETHING happens, and people demand change in such a way that he worries about losing re-election. Or, he may have made a campaign promise to change something, and failing to keep his promise could hurt his chances of re-election. Also, on rare occasions, they have principles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife