Author Topic: Slate is so smart about guns  (Read 781 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Slate is so smart about guns
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
Slate, those tactical masters of things tactical, has expertly left-splained why guns are bad, as they often do.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/06/stephen_willeford_a_good_guy_with_a_gun_confronted_devin_kelley_but_did.html

...shootings unfold quickly, in places where people often don’t carry weapons. It’s unrealistic to expect that a good guy with a gun can be everywhere a bad guy with a gun goes.

Obviously, this is one of the more factual and coherent quotations from the piece. I just want to point and laugh for a little bit at their failures, both in logic and integrity.

Yes, shootings (can) unfold quickly. If good guys are allowed to actually, ya know, have loaded guns on our persons, or in our homes; we can quickly shoot the monsters trying to shoot us.

Yes, shootings do often happen in places where people don't often carry weapons. Why don't you work on that fact a little bit? Does it occur to you journalistic geniuses that you're actually making an argument for reducing the number of such places?

Yes, it's unrealistic to expect law-abiding armed citizens to be everywhere that mass murders might occur - especially when Mensa members like yourselves have discouraged (or tried to discourage) us; through laws, social norms, organizational policies, and ill-considered internet articles, from carrying guns at all.

Do you insightful savants think that, just maybe, you've made a case that more NRA members should wear their guns to their local churches on Sunday mornings?

There is, of course, much more about the article to be fisked, should one care to.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
Re: Slate is so smart about guns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Derp seems to be a universal threat to sanity.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw