Author Topic: First Zuckerville, Now Gatesville  (Read 3260 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
First Zuckerville, Now Gatesville
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
First Zuckerberg decides to build a city of the future, now Gates is doing it too.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/12/bill-gates-firm-buys-arizona-land-for-80-million-to-create-smart-city.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: First Zuckerville, Now Gatesville
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
It's fun to watch some of the promos and newsreels from old World Fairs when they talk about the home/city of tomorrow.

Some of the stuff has come true, but much of it was really out there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:03 AM »
Saw a rant about this on the book of faces...
It pretty much boiled down to "neat ideas on upgrading cities, but cities grow organically because of jobs and stuff, doomed to fail"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
Oddly, I haven't heard of MS doing evil things in years- now the fascism seems to be coming mostly from Google and the newer companies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
Oddly, I haven't heard of MS doing evil things in years- now the fascism seems to be coming mostly from Google and the newer companies.

You've missed all the rants about Windows 10?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »
It pretty much boiled down to "neat ideas on upgrading cities, but cities grow organically because of jobs and stuff, doomed to fail"
We are making our world better........................... as I see it.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »

You've missed all the rants about Windows 10?

Heh. Though BTR has a point. Microsoft, while big, is small potatoes nowadays compared to the likes of Google and Facebook and Apple. Even when Microsoft was the big boy on the block, it was more Gates talking about income equality, and taxing people and whatnot, and I don't recall any big Microsoft initiatives to "reengineer society".

The aforementioned companies however, seem to be talking about that a lot. As much as we might complain about the 'intrusiveness" of Win10 forced updates, etc., it's a thousand times less intrusive than what the other companies are doing. It's rather insidious too, because I hate how Google intrudes in my life, yet part of me is addicted to them as if they were a drug, what with maps, calendar, etc.

I used to just shrug my shoulders about that, but more and more of late - and  I blame the whole lefty "resistance" that includes these companies - I've been becoming more and more sick of these people sticking their noses into my life. I'm actually thinking about Google alternatives. Something I could do now, but something that would be much, much harder to do if I were still working.

I'd be more inclined to agree with that regarding Zuckerberg's city, which seems to be much more a social engineering experiment. I almost see Gates' city as something more of a "telecommuter society" experiment, where people can have many of the amenities of places like San Francisco without having to live in those big, expensive cities.

Personally, I prefer a telecommuter society that lets people telecommute from more places and environments. I, for example, would prefer to telecommute from a cabin in the sticks. However, I can see the appeal of Gates' city for many people, especially, ironically, people that work for Google and Facebook. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
We should get to see the true cost of progress when it is time to populate these cities. I doubt that it will be a free for all let's move to the city and get us a job cousin Jed! If you are the right whatever the requirements you can come and share fabulous wealth. The rest of you send us food and STFU.  Inclusive it will not be.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
If you are the right whatever the requirements you can come and share fabulous wealth. The rest of you send us food and STFU.  Inclusive it will not be.

I would agree on these being like 1950s country clubs on who they want in them. They probably won't ask for money though. Any of these guys building them could put $5 billion (their chump change) in an index fund and cover the annual funding for their city with the annual dividends with lots left over.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »

I'd be more inclined to agree with that regarding Zuckerberg's city, which seems to be much more a social engineering experiment. I almost see Gates' city as something more of a "telecommuter society" experiment, where people can have many of the amenities of places like San Francisco without having to live in those big, expensive cities.

Personally, I prefer a telecommuter society that lets people telecommute from more places and environments. I, for example, would prefer to telecommute from a cabin in the sticks. However, I can see the appeal of Gates' city for many people, especially, ironically, people that work for Google and Facebook. :)

Conceivably you could "ground up" a city as a major hub for google, amazon, etc, and even eliminate the telecommute part.  Build new facilities, housing, even an airport. 
Building it right off the freeway and within commuting distance of Phoenix is smart, as you could house the construction staff in Phoenix.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
Conceivably you could "ground up" a city as a major hub for google, amazon, etc, and even eliminate the telecommute part.  Build new facilities, housing, even an airport.  
Building it right off the freeway and within commuting distance of Phoenix is smart, as you could house the construction staff in Phoenix.

Yeah, can't have those blue collar types in that fancy new city.   =D  Might be lucrative to build an RV park a short distance away.  

The only good thing I can think of is simply building a new facility OUTSIDE a major city so the employees don't have to commute long distances or through existing heavy traffic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:49:47 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
I don't get Arizona, you think the city of tomorrow would be built somewhere there is a lots of available local water and not have to rely on air conditioning so much. Or even put a concrete jungle in a place with lots of direct sunlight.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 12:56:53 PM »
Yeah, can't have those blue collar types in that fancy new city.   =D  Might be lucrative to build an RV park a short distance away.  

The only good think I can think of is simply building a new facility OUTSIDE a major city so the employees don't have to commute long distances or through existing heavy traffic.

The problem is those construction jobs are temporary.  After the project is complete you won't need that level of blue collar help.
JD

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »

I think they have shifted their main focus to businesses with the consumer market (except for Xbox) being a tag along.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
I don't get Arizona, you think the city of tomorrow would be built somewhere there is a lots of available local water and not have to rely on air conditioning so much. Or even put a concrete jungle in a place with lots of direct sunlight.
Because despite being billionaires, they still have to find a location near a major city where the property values are not through the roof.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
The problem is those construction jobs are temporary.  After the project is complete you won't need that level of blue collar help.

Okay, build an RV park / Trailer park nearby.   =D       A trailer park in view of the new wonder city sounds right.

There has been a lot of chemical plant construction in the Freeport area the last few years.  All the RV parks are full, even the ones that expanded.  I heard the rate is $350 to $400 a month.  That is a pretty good payback on a relatively cheap investment.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Because despite being billionaires, they still have to find a location near a major city where the property values are not through the roof.

Detroit, Minneapolis/St Paul, St Louis are a few that come to mind.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Guess we're going to have to figure out the three seashells after all.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
... and watch our language.

(although if the future includes an early '90s incarnation of Sandra Bullock, I could live with that ...)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
... and watch our language.

(although if the future includes an early '90s incarnation of Sandra Bullock, I could live with that ...)

Same here.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »