Author Topic: Holiday Leftovers  (Read 3368 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Holiday Leftovers
« on: November 13, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Per Señor Irwin's recommendation, a thread for the annual gift from the Deity that is Holiday leftovers.

I shall begin...

Thanksgiving Enchiladas. Best use of T&D leftovers EVAR!

Mince together the leftover turkey and dressing, adding just a touch of gravy for moistness.  You can add the cranberry sauce, too, if you like.  Just don't use much.  Throw in a dash of red pepper for fun.  Roll it up in flour tortillas along with a dab of cream cheese (first tried on my suggestion last year, thank you!) and place in a greased casserole.  Top with remaining gravy and shredded cheese (cheddar jack, mozzerella, or meunster depending on what you like). Bake at 350 until bubbly.  Browning the cheese under the broiler makes it even nummy-er

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Holiday Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
Hard to beat turkey sandwiches.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
We used to have a coleslaw that was made, in part, with Miracle Whip.

It was really good. At least I loved it.

But I REALLY REALLY loved it the next day as a topping on a turkey sammich.

Another of my favorite leftover is taking the carcass and making stock out of it.

And from that stock, making either homemade vegetable soup or turkey potpie.

And if turkey vegetable soup, you take some of the leftover mashed potatoes, add an egg, and some flour and make drop dumplings out of them and cook them in the soup.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
Forgot this, but my Mom used to make a turkey hash with leftover turkey. IIRC it also had evaporated milk in it. It was incredible. I loved it when she made that.

It was similar to this, I think.  http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/quick-turkey-hash-387462#activity-feed

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
*expletive deleted*it. I thought I was going to be fine with not traveling to Pennsylvania for the holiday now that Mom is gone.

This talk about leftovers is opening a can of memories, and with it sadness, that I really didn't expect to open.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
*expletive deleted*it. I thought I was going to be fine with not traveling to Pennsylvania for the holiday now that Mom is gone.

This talk about leftovers is opening a can of memories, and with it sadness, that I really didn't expect to open.

Make your favorite ones at your house, invite friends over to enjoy.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »
Turkey sandwich with avocado slices.   Or with a nice hot mirasol chile.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Turkey gumbo.  (no sausage, but you can put sausage in yours if you want)

The turkey and dressing enchiladas in the OP sound horrible.  I might just have to try 'em... :)

I'm thinking about making tamales this year for Thanksgiving.  Real tamales from scratch.  I know they are really more of the Christmas thing, but if I make a bunch on turkey day they will last until Christmas.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
"I'm thinking about making tamales this year for Thanksgiving.  Real tamales from scratch."

Alton Brown did a tamale show on Good Eats. I LOVE tamales, but when I saw the kind of prep that goes into them?

I decided I'd stick with the tamale casserole, and get real tamales at a restaurant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
How could I forget turkey pie with potatoes, carrots, onion and gravy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
"I'm thinking about making tamales this year for Thanksgiving.  Real tamales from scratch."

Alton Brown did a tamale show on Good Eats. I LOVE tamales, but when I saw the kind of prep that goes into them?

I decided I'd stick with the tamale casserole, and get real tamales at a restaurant.

The restaurants here charge $3 apiece for them.  Doesn't matter if you're buying them on a plate with rice and beans, or you want a dozen frozen.

I bought some fresh lard from a Mexican grocer (not the shelf-stable hydrogenated kind) and some corn husks.  I have dried peppers and Maseca already.  I should be busy Saturday.  (gonna be brewing beer on Friday)  Or maybe Sunday after church cuz I gotta boil the turkey carcass on Saturday.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »
I made a dozen tamales last night.  Still have a lot of leftover filling, so I might make them again tonight now that I kinda know what I'm doing and it will go faster.

For the filling: I simmered a huge dried ancho pepper and a handful of dried red new Mexico chiles in water until they were tender, then blenderized them with the cooking water.  Used a strainer to remove the seeds and any tough skins that were left.  I took about 12 or 13 ounces of roasted turkey and finely chopped it in the blender.  Dumped that in a bowl. I whizzed a tablespoon of peppercorns and a tablespoon of cumino in a coffee grinder (that was way too much pepper) and mixed that into the pureed chiles, then added the chile mix to the meat until it looked the right consistency.  Added a half teaspoon of garlic powder, and salt to taste.  The meat had a weird metallic taste to it, but I kept going.

For the masa: Mix 2 cups of Maseca, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp of salt.  Added half a cup of turkey stock and about a cup of water, and mixed it up to make a dough.  I'm not sure that was enough water.  Whip 3/4 cup of lard and a teaspoon of ground red chiles in another bowl with an electric mixer until it's fluffy.  Add the masa dough a little at a time while continuing to beat to make a fluffy spreadable dough.  I didn't do the "does it float" test.

Wrapping:  I still don't have this part down yet.  There are several different techniques, and conflicting youtube videos about how to do it.  With a little more practice I will come up with my own technique.  You basically spread masa on the wide end of a soaked corn husk, add a little filling, then roll them up and fold the small end up to seal the bottom.  Or roll them halfway, then fold up the bottom and finish rolling.  It's the details on exactly how and where to spread the masa that nobody agrees on, not so much the rolling part.

Steaming:  Didn't have enough to get out the big steamer, so I used an old pasta cooker that has a perforated insert.  It would be a perfect small-batch tamale steamer if it held more water without reaching the bottom of the insert.  So I had to check it every 15 minutes or so and add more hot water so it wouldn't boil dry.  I steamed them for a little over an hour.

Tasting:  The weird metallic taste was gone after they were cooked, and they were a lot hotter than they should be just from the chile peppers because those were mild.  So I'm pretty sure it was the black pepper (actually, it was fancy mixed black, pink, white, and green peppercorns because I was out of plain black ones.)
 We pulled a couple out as soon as they were done and those were pretty good.  I had another as a late night snack after they had rested an hour or so still in the steamer and were now warm instead of hot.  Much better; the masa was firmer, and the whole thing just tasted better warm instead of hot.

I have a tamal and some leftover cranberry sauce for my lunch today at work :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:22:59 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
"The meat had a weird metallic taste to it"

"cumino"

Well what the hell do you expect? EVERYONE knows that you put El Cumino in the driveway, and leave it out of your tamale mix! :rofl:

Glad to heard that they turned out well.

I made the tamale casserole again last weekend (before T-giving) and I really like it...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
How could I forget turkey pie with potatoes, carrots, onion and gravy?

We had turkey pot pie last night.

Carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and peas with the turkey.

Recipe called for white wine, but we were out. Vodka it was, instead!

All cooked in a cast iron chicken fryer and biscuit crust on the top. Barely had any leftovers from it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 07:05:17 AM »
In Pennsylvania there are at least 3 different dishes that are called pot pie.

The first is what you've described, a casserole with a top crust of biscuits. This one is different in that it's normally cooked in an oven.

The other two are really more similar to chicken and dumplings, or even chicken noodle soup.

One is the kind a friend's Mom made, which has large, thick square noodles in it, something like this https://fabulousfaresisters.com/2015/10/09/chicken-pot-pie-with-homemade-noodles/

The third is the kind my family makes, in which the basic noodles are leavened with baking powder, and is similar to biscuits, but the noodles are rolled and cut into squares and dropped into the boiling liquid. The pot is lidded and it boils for about 20 minutes to raise and cook the noodles. The noodles form almost a crust over the chicken and liquid. In this version the liquid tends to be a bit thinner than the biscuit covered version and normally only has carrots, celery, and onion in it.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
In Pennsylvania there are at least 3 different dishes that are called pot pie.

The first is what you've described, a casserole with a top crust of biscuits. This one is different in that it's normally cooked in an oven.

The other two are really more similar to chicken and dumplings, or even chicken noodle soup.

One is the kind a friend's Mom made, which has large, thick square noodles in it, something like this https://fabulousfaresisters.com/2015/10/09/chicken-pot-pie-with-homemade-noodles/

The third is the kind my family makes, in which the basic noodles are leavened with baking powder, and is similar to biscuits, but the noodles are rolled and cut into squares and dropped into the boiling liquid. The pot is lidded and it boils for about 20 minutes to raise and cook the noodles. The noodles form almost a crust over the chicken and liquid. In this version the liquid tends to be a bit thinner than the biscuit covered version and normally only has carrots, celery, and onion in it.

Under no circumstances does "pie" mean "noodles." Noodles do not belong in a pie, nor do noodles make a pie. Chicken and noodles is a great dish, but not pie.

This is "hot dish" level offense to the language!

(Shorter: Everyone who doesn't talk like me is a barbarian!)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
"Under no circumstances does "pie" mean "noodles."

Translate that to mean...

AAAAGH! THAT'S DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND, THEREFORE IT'S EVIL, SATANIC, AND I'M JUST A HEAD-IN-THE-SAND DOUCHENUGGET! FEAR EVERYTHING!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man up, change your manpon, straighten out your manbun, and suck it up, princess, because if there's one thing  that I KNOW, it's that Pennsylvania food is right, and everything and everyone else is WRONG WRONG WRONG!  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
So took all the leftover poultry, shreaded it and let it simmer all afternoon in a crockpot with bbq sauce. Had it wrapped in a tortilla and cheese for supper. Tasty.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »
"Under no circumstances does "pie" mean "noodles."

Translate that to mean...

AAAAGH! THAT'S DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND, THEREFORE IT'S EVIL, SATANIC, AND I'M JUST A HEAD-IN-THE-SAND DOUCHENUGGET! FEAR EVERYTHING!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man up, change your manpon, straighten out your manbun, and suck it up, princess, because if there's one thing  that I KNOW, it's that Pennsylvania food is right, and everything and everyone else is WRONG WRONG WRONG!  =D

(Shorter: Everyone who disagrees with me Mike is a barbarian pajamaboy!)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
FINALLY! Someone gets it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk