Author Topic: We're Not Talking About Gun Bans (Except When We Are)!  (Read 1295 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: We're Not Talking About Gun Bans (Except When We Are)!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »
No one wants to take your guns away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
Just read the whole piece (of crap).  He proposes a mandatory buyback like Australia did.  $500 per gun.  Estimates that they could collect 20-25% of the guns in America, somewhere around 60,000,000 guns.  So, at $500 per gun, that's $30,000,000,000.  Where in the hell is the US government going to come up with $30 Billion for this?  And, there's that pesky 2A issue. 

I've said before, and I'll write it here again.  The only way full confiscation would work is if 2A was repealed (or SCOTUS ruled it was a collective right, not individual).  Then the court would have to suspend 4A (search and seizure and warrant), and maybe 5A (self incrimination), and conduct a house by house sweep of the country.  Not enough cops for that, so posse comitatus gets suspended, and they press the military into service.  Got to deploy these troops in CONUS, so maybe 3A gets suspended.  Now, how long will everyone go along with all of this?  Yeah, the leftists may be on board with searching for guns, but what happens when they start searching every house?  And find that little stash of weed/coke?  Or the illegal cable hook-up?  And that becomes admissible because 4A was suspended.  And then, imagine how this would actually work.  Start at one coast, sweep to the other?  This is a big damn country, with acres and acres of hiding places.  Don't even need to hide them for long...just a couple of weeks until the sweep passes by...

Like I said, it can't work unless we let it work.  Not bloody likely.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »
$500 per gun should be rejected on Constitutional grounds. I don't own a lot of guns, nor are my guns especially expensive, but of those I own, very few cost me less than $500, and very few are worth $500 today. What are they going to do about collectors, whio have entire rooms full of guns that are each worth thousands of dollars?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
I think he just wrote it as clickbait.   And it worked.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »
$500 per gun should be rejected on Constitutional grounds. I don't own a lot of guns, nor are my guns especially expensive, but of those I own, very few cost me less than $500, and very few are worth $500 today. What are they going to do about collectors, whio have entire rooms full of guns that are each worth thousands of dollars?

Declare the guns to be a public nuisance and confiscate them, 5A (Takings Clause) be damned just like the rest of the Bill of Rights.  It's a small price to pay for Utopia; especially since someone else has to pay it, not the Utopians.

I wonder how many assassinations there are in the aftermath?  (That will be the small price to pay, IMHO)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »

They need to take away the guns, because only the white supremacist, murdering cop pigs; and the military-industrial war-for-oil complex, can be trusted with guns.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:14:13 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »

They need to take away the guns, because only the white supremacist, murdering cop pigs; and the military-industrial war-for-oil complex can be trusted with guns.

You left out antifa ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:49 PM »
Only a few pieces in my meager collection have a real value of $500 or less. Only a couple that have a real value above $1000.
Either way, I don't think I want to play this game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:05 AM »
When have libs ever worried about paying for anything?

If they did anything they'd give a non-refundable tax credit of "up to" $500 (or whatever) per gun.  But if you had $8000 "worth" of guns taken (so 16 guns - not an unusual amount in this crowd), and had a tax liability of just $2000, that $2k is all you'd get back. 

But these are libs we're discussing.  They'd find judges to rule it wasn't a 5A takings, no different from taking the drugs from a dealer without compensation.  Once guns are declared contraband they have no value as property as they aren't legal property. 

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
I think he just wrote it as clickbait.   And it worked.

That.  The Globe is a leftisit rag in a leftist state pandering to leftist readers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
I don't think even the military has enough people do help cops do house to house searches.  Also, as soon as that started, there would be violence.  Not sure how much, but it would happen.  I wonder if that is where Obama wanted to go with his Brown Shirt comments early in his first term. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
Also, if such a huge buy back was enacted, can you imagine how many of the confiscated guns would never make it to the scrap yard much less actually be destroyed? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge