Author Topic: And here's another one...  (Read 3470 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
And here's another one...
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/11/14/us/california-tehama-county-shootings/index.html

Nut job on a shooting spree at and around a school in California.  Early report of a semiauto rifle and a couple of handguns.  Shooter dead after exchanging fire with Leo's.  Call for ban in 3..2..1..
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: And here's another one...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
From what I've seen so far, some students were wounded, but not killed. The school was among the places where the guy ran amok.

Such distinctions will be lost, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
Well, it happened in the state with currently (or by January 1st), by far,  the most severe gun control laws in the country, so it'll be interesting to see the cries for more gun control.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
Well, it happened in the state with currently (or by January 1st), by far,  the most severe gun control laws in the country, so it'll be interesting to see the cries for more gun control.

"Think of how much worse it would have been in Kansas!"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Imagine if he had a silencer . . .
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
It won't matter to the usual suspects, whose answer to every incident involving broken laws is to pass more laws to make illegal actions even more illegal, but it will be interesting for the rest of us to see whether or not laws were broken (other than the obvious issue of shooting people), and whether or not any of the currently-proposed new laws would have made a difference.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles: http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-school-shooting-gardena-high-school-injures/story?id=12640474

Student sneaks gun into school in backpack. Gun discharges, apparently by accident. One shot hits a girl in the head and another student in the neck.

Somebody needs to pass a law making it illegal to have guns in schools. And maybe it shouldn't be legal for kids as young as sophomores to be allowed to carry handguns. Yeah, that ought'a do it.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
Not certain how accurate the content is, but  heavy.com has a lengthy write-up on the Tehama County killing spree:

http://heavy.com/news/2017/11/kevin-janson-neal-tehama-county-school-shooter/

and

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article184541668.html

Police logs from the Red Bluff Daily News show Janson was arrested in February of this year on Bobcat Lane on charges of “assault with deadly weapon not firearm or force, great bodily injury likely, battery on person, crime against elder or dependent adult, discharge firearm with gross negligence and false imprisonment with violence.” The paper reports bail was set at $160,000.

No info yet on how the perp obtained the firearms.
                         - Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 05:11:11 AM »
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles: http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-school-shooting-gardena-high-school-injures/story?id=12640474

Student sneaks gun into school in backpack. Gun discharges, apparently by accident. One shot hits a girl in the head and another student in the neck.

Somebody needs to pass a law making it illegal to have guns in schools. And maybe it shouldn't be legal for kids as young as sophomores to be allowed to carry handguns. Yeah, that ought'a do it.

Would that be considered a mass shooting?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
Not certain how accurate the content is, but  heavy.com has a lengthy write-up on the Tehama County killing spree:

http://heavy.com/news/2017/11/kevin-janson-neal-tehama-county-school-shooter/

and

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article184541668.html

No info yet on how the perp obtained the firearms.

Report I listened to stated the Feb arrest was for stabbing his neighbor, also a victim  of this rampage. So at the very least he should have been on felony charges,and he was under a restraining order making him a prohibited person on at least 2 counts.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he was also a mental health patient(or damn well should have been)  
In a prefect world he would have still been locked up.  :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
Would that be considered a mass shooting?

I think the usual definition of a mass shooting is four or more people wounded or killed, so the Loas Angeles incident would not be a mass shooting. The bigger question was whether or not it should be tabulated as a school shooting if it was an "accidental" (negligent) discharge.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »
I think the usual definition of a mass shooting is four or more people wounded or killed, so the Loas Angeles incident would not be a mass shooting. The bigger question was whether or not it should be tabulated as a school shooting if it was an "accidental" (negligent) discharge.

I was on a site recently that listed all school shootings in recent memory. If the shooting occurred on school grounds, even when school was out and between two adults it was classified as a school shooting.  =|

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
Not that it should matter, but he was apparently feuding with his meth making neighbors, according to his mother. One of the neighbors is among the dead.

I have no time or patience for meth heads, but they were his neighbors. He could have just walked next door to get his revenge. Going to the school wouldn't make much sense unless he was going on a general rampage anyway, or else looking to corner his neighbors in a gun free zone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Heard his sister being interviewed stating he had a lifetime history of mental illness.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Heard his sister being interviewed stating he had a lifetime history of mental illness.

But Trump gave all the crazy people guns, you see...

So they haven't released the killer's identity? Anyone know what's going on there?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:27:06 PM by fistful »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »
Well, this is interesting:

Johnston said the two semi-automatic rifles used in Tuesday’s shooting were “manufactured illegally by him at his home.”

I'll wait for more verification before I bite, given the MSM thinks chainsaw bayonets are a standard option. I'm wondering though, if he just built an AR? Which, sadly, will send the antis on a feeding frenzy in that arena, which I think has been pretty much under the radar up until now.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/15/california-gunmans-wife-found-dead-in-home-authorities-say.html

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
A marijuana farmer. Yep, nother crazy right winger. Well, the crazy part for sure. I had to be around him I'd know where my gun was just by looks. Killed his wife too, most likely the night before, so can't even call it honest to goodness craziness if we took a night and then still tried to go shoot random kids. Of course this will be the excuse to go after gun parts and the Jeff sessions excuse to go after wacky weed. And like Vegas, San Bernardino, Pulse, etc. be quickly forgotten because no MAGA hat was found at the scene.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Wife-of-Tehama-County-shooter-found-dead-under-12360039.php

Investigators have recovered two semiautomatic rifles Neal used in the shootings, and said they had been illegally “manufactured” at his house, possibly using mail-order parts. They also recovered two pistols Neal used, and they were not registered to him, Johnston said.

Ben most likely has it right.  Perp probably finished an 80% lower, then assembled a rifle from parts.

Straw purchases for the handguns? 

Johnston said police had been called to Neal’s house repeatedly in recent months for complaints of shots being fired, but that Neal wouldn’t come to the door.

“At least twice, officers put the house under surveillance,” hoping to catch him leaving so they could question him, but it was unsuccessful, Johnston said.

Neal, he added, was “not law enforcement friendly.”

Someone has a gift for understatement.

- Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
Being "illegally manufactured" in California could possibly mean that he simply installed regular parts on it making it non-California compliant.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »

Ben most likely has it right.  Perp probably finished an 80% lower, then assembled a rifle from parts.

That was my guess -- 80% receivers. Without fixed magazines, which would technically make them illegal in California, but not under federal law.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 12:11:18 AM »
Surprisingly the story isn't front and center on most of the news sites I scan.
I wonder why that is.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
Not real much of a ghost if the cops know you have guns, know you aren't supposed to, and don't reconcile those two.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »
Not real much of a ghost if the cops know you have guns, know you aren't supposed to, and don't reconcile those two.

That is why I think this one is going to fade away.
Similar to the Texas shooting, we have multiple instances of government failing to enforce existing laws.
Neither of the shooters were legally able to posses guns yet gross negligence and indifference resulted in the deaths of innocent people.
Sadly I doubt anyone will ever be held accountable.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 04:53:32 PM »
Thread quasi-necro:  the "homemade" firearms apparently did not work well; of the two handguns, one apparently was purchased in North Carolina and the other was registered to the perp's wife:

http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/general-news/20171122/homemade-guns-jammed-during-rancho-tehama-shootings-assistant-sheriff-says

He apparently had two ARs built on 80% lowers.  I expect there will be calls to declare 80% receivers as firearms, so manufacturers will start making 75% lowers, or something.
                         - Barack Obama