Author Topic: Cards Against Humanity Attempts to Block Border Wall  (Read 2970 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cards Against Humanity Attempts to Block Border Wall
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
I don't know much about the game, other than it doesn't sound like the kind I'd be interested in. A quick wiki showed them to be a very left company. They have purchased land on the border in order to "block" the border wall. They have also retained a legal team with expertise on eminent domain.

I'm actually not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Obviously I think they are jackasses for their political views, but they seem to have made a legal land purchase, which now kicks in my hate for eminent domain policies. On the other hand, they are making me as a taxpayer pay for their political stunt. At the same time they are apparently asking people to send in $15 for "a map of the land and other goodies", so they are getting schmucks to pay for their stunt.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/11/15/cards-against-humanity-buys-land-us-mexico-border-block-trump-wall
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Cards Against Humanity Attempts to Block Border Wall
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
Interesting that NPR didn't push back on their claim that digging a pointless hole was not bad for the environment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
It's a fun game to play with people with a twisted sense of humor.

After the 2016 Elections, they came out with a Election Survival Pack. It was funny as hell, even had a locket with Obama's picture in it.

They are out to make money on hot button issues.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
It's a fun game to play with people with a twisted sense of humor.

After the 2016 Elections, they came out with a Election Survival Pack. It was funny as hell, even had a locket with Obama's picture in it.

They are out to make money on hot button issues.

Sitting around the docks with a bunch of half drunk sailors it can be a freaking riot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
Sitting around the docks with a bunch of half drunk sailors it can be a freaking riot.

Two midgets....

Uranus is a gas giant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
There is eminent domain for Kelo or Trump construction BS and there is eminent domain for things that Trump wants that happen to be valid national security concerns. So go ahead and buy the land, maybe import some leftover defenders from Standing Rock. Just bring bail money.

If you read the news you see that most Israel problems are rocket attacks or problems in the Palestinian side of the soup. Wonder why? Oh yeah, they built big freaking walls. Now people of various ethnicities and religions still come and go daily, Arabs in Israel proper live without being harmed, and in many cases well. Difference is Israel has pretty good control on how vehicles and shady characters move around. Of course we still get sob stories about how peace loving Palestinian geologists died in a tunnel, seems Israel just hates rockhounds.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
Build the wall around their little paradise, so they have to access it from Mexico.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
As ratty as eminent domain is, it is perfectly valid as an application for publicly owned structures like a big, beautiful wall.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
I detest eminent domain for a lot of what it's been bastardized for. But it does have it uses. Such as, oh I dunno, purchasing land from a land owner to build a border wall.

But then, I do kinda like the build it around them so they only have access from the Mexico side idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
The land isn't their primary residence so I don't see what argument they have for eminent domain.  If it were the state of Texas, they could probably hold it up, but the Feds are a different matter.

On the hole, all the dirt is right there next to the hole.  I don't see why that would affect wall construction at all.  Use it as a moat. 

There is a similar hole up the road a ways, but in that case, the landowner was selling dirt and will end up with a big pond at some point.  The local county likes it when chemical companies build plants in low lying land that no one wants.  Dump trucks were going back and forth for months recently for the last one. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
The land isn't their primary residence so I don't see what argument they have for eminent domain.  If it were the state of Texas, they could probably hold it up, but the Feds are a different matter.

On the hole, all the dirt is right there next to the hole.  I don't see why that would affect wall construction at all.  Use it as a moat. 

There is a similar hole up the road a ways, but in that case, the landowner was selling dirt and will end up with a big pond at some point.  The local county likes it when chemical companies build plants in low lying land that no one wants.  Dump trucks were going back and forth for months recently for the last one. 

I don't think the hole is related to the border issue. That was just some weird joke they were making last year.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
Obviously they just need to build the wall like 30 feet up in the air so it's not even touching the ground. Problem solved! *drops mic*
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
Obviously they just need to build the wall like 30 feet up in the air so it's not even touching the ground. Problem solved! *drops mic*
If there are mines thickly laid underneath, I could go for that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/27/503502142/people-donated-nearly-100-000-to-dig-a-big-pointless-hole-in-the-ground

Seems like a few earth scrapers would be a bit more efficient for moving a lot of dirt out of an area. It would need to be much wider to get the depth, but it's a lot faster than loading a articulating dump truck with an excavator.

It seems like a company would want less illegals and more Americans in the workforce. Especially one selling products domestically.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
Man,  that sucks,  I have several decks of those cards and really like them.  :facepalm:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »
This isn't the first holiday stunt pulled by the company. Last year on Black Friday, the company made $71,145 after it asked people to send $5 each — to receive absolutely nothing in return. Two years ago, it sold literal bull feces to 30,000 people, bringing in $180,000.

This tells you everything you need to know about this company.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/27/503502142/people-donated-nearly-100-000-to-dig-a-big-pointless-hole-in-the-ground

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 05:45:46 AM »
"America needs that moneyhole!"   :laugh:

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
I'm actually not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Obviously I think they are jackasses for their political views, but they seem to have made a legal land purchase, which now kicks in my hate for eminent domain policies. On the other hand, they are making me as a taxpayer pay for their political stunt. At the same time they are apparently asking people to send in $15 for "a map of the land and other goodies", so they are getting schmucks to pay for their stunt.

You've basically just described the real game.  ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 10:56:08 PM »
I detest eminent domain for a lot of what it's been bastardized for. But it does have it uses. Such as, oh I dunno, purchasing land from a land owner to build a border wall.

But then, I do kinda like the build it around them so they only have access from the Mexico side idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My feelings also.  And if I recall correctly, I once saw a segment on the tube where a section of wall currently splits a person's property (believe it's a rancher) and he has to pass through a manned gate to get from one part of his property to another.  Not saying I approve of that, but it does seem to indicate the wall could be built so as to put the imminently-to-be-eminently-domained land on the other side.

e.t.a. Google "border wall splits property" for some real world examples.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.