Author Topic: Win 7 Hang on Update Reboot  (Read 402 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Win 7 Hang on Update Reboot
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
Any other Win 7 users have it hang on reboot after an update? It's rare for me, but has happened I think four times in as many years. Same circumstance every time - I see that it's installing updates when I shut down for the night, then when I restart the next morning I get the "installing updates, don't shut off your computer message". Then it hangs to the point (I'm on a docking station) of sending no signal to the monitor. I still hear the fan and drive going.

Having looked it up at the first incident, it seems to be a semi-common problem on all versions from 7 on. The general advice is to wait at least two hours without poking at stuff to see if anything happens. That worked for me on one occasion. Went and did other stuff, came back, and saw my login screen. The other three times I had to do a hard restart and pray.  :laugh:

After the hard restart, it boots to the "installing updates" message again, but finishes up and goes to the login screen within a few minutes. Happened to me again this morning, which is why I brought it up. It's always nerve racking for me to do the hard restart on the hang. On the bright side, it does always serve as a reminder to make sure my backup and restore stuff is all up to date.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Win 7 Hang on Update Reboot
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
Any other Win 7 users have it hang on reboot after an update? It's rare for me, but has happened I think four times in as many years. Same circumstance every time - I see that it's installing updates when I shut down for the night, then when I restart the next morning I get the "installing updates, don't shut off your computer message". Then it hangs to the point (I'm on a docking station) of sending no signal to the monitor. I still hear the fan and drive going.

"Shut down" as in turn off the computer? There's your problem, right there. If it's installing updates, just let it run overnight. It won't hurt anything.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Win 7 Hang on Update Reboot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
"Shut down" as in turn off the computer? There's your problem, right there. If it's installing updates, just let it run overnight. It won't hurt anything.

No, when you turn off your computer, if there are updates downloaded (and you have updates as automatic), windows installs them before shutting the computer down. When you next turn it on, it finishes installing the updates. It would do the same thing if you chose restart. It's all part of the normal update process.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."