Author Topic: Menendez Mistrial  (Read 4462 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Menendez Mistrial
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
I thought we had a Menendez thread going, but I guess not. Anyhow, he's out via mistrial. Seems like, based on articles I've read, there was some bullpucky going on with the jury.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/16/judge-declares-mistrial-in-menendez-case.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Menendez Mistrial
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »
When a juror has to ask the judge "What is a senator?" you know there's some funny stuff going on.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »
I thought we had a Menendez thread going, but I guess not. Anyhow, he's out via mistrial. Seems like, based on articles I've read, there was some bullpucky going on with the jury.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/16/judge-declares-mistrial-in-menendez-case.html

It's New Jersey. What did you expect?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
I imagine one hardcore Dem who was going to sit on the jury and say no, no matter what. Given everything else that is going on, retry should happen, but really get the under age hooker thing front and center in the news again. Fine time since the Senate finally has standards and ethics thanks to Roy Moore.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »
I imagine one hardcore Dem who was going to sit on the jury and say no, no matter what. Given everything else that is going on, retry should happen, but really get the under age hooker thing front and center in the news again. Fine time since the Senate finally has standards and ethics thanks to Roy Moore.

I heard it was 10-2 in favor of acquittal.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
I heard it was 10-2 in favor of acquittal.

I read that, too. That's going to put a damper on chances of a retrial.

Apparently the judge had both sides' attorneys sit in when he interviewed the jurors, so the attorneys both know what the jurors were thinking. (Or, at least, what they said they were thinking.) Unless the government thinks it can make a case convincing enough to overcome whatever weaknesses they heard being mentioned, there won't be a retrial. The fact that Menendez is already making "I know who you are" noises suggests that his lawyers don't think the government is likely to try again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:50:03 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
So- I haven't been following this- does he appear to be guilty or innocent?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Menendez is chomping at the bit to provide paybacks.  One wonders if the Senate will convene an ethics investigation and expel him.  The burden would not be as high to do that.  The info about Menendez reveals his corruption, but perhaps not to the level to prove beyond a reasonable doubt is a crime.  I have a hunch he's probably got a lot of dirt on many senators on both sides of the aisle.  Likely nothing will happen, though.  I wouldn't be surprised that Menendez will be taken aside and told to put aside his venom and STFU as it would add to the revelations about how corrupt the Congress is in general.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
So- I haven't been following this- does he appear to be guilty or innocent?

He's a Democrat senator from New Jersey and his "partner in crime" has already been convicted.
Figure the odds.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
He's a Democrat senator from New Jersey and his "partner in crime" has already been convicted.
Figure the odds.

I believe the jury probably wasn't allowed to hear most of the evidence, especially that his buddy was convicted.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »
Apparently, it is not enough to prove that a congressman has been taking lots of free gifts from a person... they have to prove the congressman was taking them in exchange for a specific favor.  That sound incredibly difficult to "prove."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
Apparently, it is not enough to prove that a congressman has been taking lots of free gifts from a person... they have to prove the congressman was taking them in exchange for a specific favor.  That sound incredibly difficult to "prove."

That's the Clinton Foundation's business model.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 01:23:24 PM »
Thread necro:  everything old is new again.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/1201038817/robert-menendez-indicted

Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., was indicted Friday on corruption charges in Manhattan, N.Y., following a federal investigation that claimed he allegedly accepted luxury goods and large sums of money in bribes in exchange for committing corrupt acts, including providing sensitive information to the government of Egypt.
In exchange, the Menendez couple received bribes that included cash, gold, payments toward a home mortgage, compensation for a low-or-no-show job, a luxury vehicle and other things of value, the indictment claims.

Not really related, but Gun Owners of America tweeted this Menendez shortly after the story broke:

https://twitter.com/GunOwners/status/1705259309251076274

GOA has 10 gold bars for any Democrat who introduces a bill to repeal the NFA! 👏
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 01:31:13 PM »

- Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 07:13:21 AM »
So six years ago Menendez skated, and got re-elected. And it sounds like he IMMEDIATELY resumed taking bribes.

I've read that a lot of politicians aren't really smart - this tends to confirm it.

I found the latest story that his wife was also arrested for bribery interesting - I'll be waiting to find out how they'll be charging someone who isn't an elected official. (Maybe for failure to register as a foreign agent? Or as an accessory to bribing a senator?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 10:43:37 AM »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 01:11:25 PM »
RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/09/22/menendez-responds-to-calls-for-resignation-theyre-after-me-because-im-a-latino-n2387623
Usually there's a countdown: 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . RACISM!!

Now it's a much shorter count: 5 . . . 4 . . . RACISM!!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 01:26:14 PM »
So six years ago Menendez skated, and got re-elected. And it sounds like he IMMEDIATELY resumed taking bribes.

I've read that a lot of politicians aren't really smart - this tends to confirm it.

I found the latest story that his wife was also arrested for bribery interesting - I'll be waiting to find out how they'll be charging someone who isn't an elected official. (Maybe for failure to register as a foreign agent? Or as an accessory to bribing a senator?)

They ain’t gotta be smart when nothing actually ever happens to the rat bastards.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 03:48:59 PM »
Man, the leftists are doing this all over the place now. First with New Mexico, now here:

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/09/23/menendez-spin-from-rubin-vindman-and-others-is-just-coincidentally-exactly-the-same-n2387643

They simply don't even care that everyone knows that they cut and paste the identical message.