Author Topic: Rescue dog; Big, big, really big issue.  (Read 1260 times)

Hutch

• friend
Rescue dog; Big, big, really big issue.
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
After haunting the local humane society shelters, watching Craigslist, and checking the animal control pound, I finally got me a dawg from a local no-kill shelter.  Sweet tempered, about 4 years old, spayed, 40 pounds of what appears to be at least mostly foxhound.  (Think: racing beagle).  Already housebroken, calm, no barking issues....

Massive separation anxiety.  I’ve had to leave her crated twice, both times for about a couple of hours, once for a dental appointment, once for an annual checkup.  Both times, she peed and shat the crate, distributing the efffluvia for 2 feet around the crate, and nearly destroying the bedding.  This is REALLY gonna cramp my ability to do errands and shopping, to say nothing of shooting and hunting.

I have NOW found out I’m her fourth owner.

Damn.  Any suggestions?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Rescue dog; Big, big, really big issue.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
I'm not a dog whisperer but, what about spending some time with her in the crate and you nearby so she doesn't automatically associate "crate" with "abandoned"? Maybe put the crate near your armchair and put her in it for short periods while you watch the teevee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
This page actually has some good ideas:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/separation-anxiety

Skip down to the "What to Do If Your Dog Has Separation Anxiety: Treatment for Moderate to Severe Separation Anxiety" section.  If you are good at training dogs, a certified trainer isn't necessary, but if you aren't good at training one can really help.

As in all training consistency is the key.

Things to look at:
Does the pup like her crate?  How does she handle it in the crate when you're home?  If the crate has been punishment in past homes, then the crating can be adding to the separation anxiety.
Does she know when you're fixing to leave?  If she has 20 min of stress build-up before you leave that can add to the issue as well.

Bottom line, it'll take a while where you won't really be able to leave her alone for very long before you can help her with this.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
Also how big is the crate? With it being stress induced it's by no means a dead ringer, but a nice super spacious over sized crate can actually contribute to dogs messing in it. It's actually better IME to have a properly sized crate then to try and be "nice" by providing one that's way bigger than needed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
I'm not a dog whisperer but, what about spending some time with her in the crate[snip]

I saw that and laughed.  "It's gonna be crowded in there!"  :lol:  (sorry)
"It's good, though..."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
Dogmush, that was a GREAT link.  I’m confirmed in my estimate of acute separation anxiety.  Reading between the lines, I’m not real hopeful this dog is going to get better.

So much for the weekly Date Night with SWMBO.  That will require a night’s boarding, as well as 2 round trips across town.

Damn.  I wish this had been disclosed about $700 dollars ago.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Maybe you can get her a little Emotional Support Animal vest and take her with you?  You don't have to tell anyone that she's the one who needs the emotional support.

I feel sorry for the dog.  Getting bounced from one house to another so many times has got to be tough, and why the problem has gotten so bad.  The shelter really should have disclosed that.  Hope you can get her calmed down and trained. 
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
I worked with a girl who had a dog like that. She would bring it to work and leave it in her car and go out to visit and walk the dog. One night we got busy and she wasn't able to get out there. The dog ate the interior of the car including the rubber seals on a couple of windows.

After that she found a doggy day care for her dog and it is doing much better.

bob