Author Topic: Why North Korea won't give up its nuclear weapons  (Read 1497 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Why North Korea won't give up its nuclear weapons
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
And any other rogue state:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-skeptics/libya-the-forgotten-reason-north-korea-desperately-wants-23129

Long article,  but the answer is in the link: Libya.

As I said at the time, it was a monumental blunder to depose Kaddaffi. Yes,  he was a terrible despot,  but he was a terrible despot that shaped up because of the Iraq invasion.

Instead of showing how well getting on the right side of nonproliferation can go for you (as a terrible despot) we showed that if you give up your aims at Nukes, we might decide to overthrow you and laugh as you get tortured to death.

I'm sure that's a much better incentive not to get nukes,  right?

Thanks, Obama!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Why North Korea won't give up its nuclear weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
Another gift that keeps on giving from the Obama administration.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
I don't believe the article presents a new or original argument.   However,  I agree that it is most likely true --- or atleast presents a major reason why Rocketman  wants nukes.

And, *!SIGH!*  yea,  it's Obama's gift that keeps on giving.   Gaddafi was playing nice....shoulda left him alone.  Another Hillary "success story."  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
It was Reagan who made Ghadaffi play nice.  Of course you'd never hear about that and it was probably why Obama/Clinton were desperate to do as they did...to claim more of the limelight than Reagan.  They did a good job of that, right?  Throw in the Arab Spring and the rest of the destabilization they set in motion in the entire region.  If we had historians who are interested in truth, Obama would be excoriated for his deliberate malfeasance...or perhaps he accomplished just what he set out to do.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
Libya was the big win of the look like a terrorist and we bomb the *expletive deleted*it out of you Bush doctrine. And then we messed it up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
I don't think for a minute if we'd played nice with Libya (or anyone else) that the Kim regime would have chosin to give up its nukes.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
And any other rogue state:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-skeptics/libya-the-forgotten-reason-north-korea-desperately-wants-23129

Long article,  but the answer is in the link: Libya.

As I said at the time, it was a monumental blunder to depose Kaddaffi. Yes,  he was a terrible despot,  but he was a terrible despot that shaped up because of the Iraq invasion.

Instead of showing how well getting on the right side of nonproliferation can go for you (as a terrible despot) we showed that if you give up your aims at Nukes, we might decide to overthrow you and laugh as you get tortured to death.

I'm sure that's a much better incentive not to get nukes,  right?

Thanks, Obama!

I thought that was more Hillary's deal.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
If I was the paranoid tyrannical despot of a rogue state and depended on terror, brainwashing, mass murder, and violent repression to stay in power . . . I'd be disinclined to voluntarily give up my nukes, too.

Things may not end well with the Norks.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
I wonder if preventing outside regime overthrow is the same reason that Syria has a robust chemical weapons program.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
North Korea won't give up their nukes until they are forced to.  The US does not always play nice.  Do you think we would even care about this pre-WWII country if it weren't for nukes?  Some accidents need to start happening like NK subs being lost and so forth.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)