Author Topic: Firefox 57.0  (Read 2181 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Firefox 57.0
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
It auto-installed today. It seems to be faster than the last couple of 56 updates, which had been really irritating me by sucking up system resources. So far the biggest irritation I've found in 57.0 is WTF did they do with bookmarks? I may just need to get used to it, but they really mangled where all my bookmarks are. I've got to click like three times to get to what once was all in a dropdown menu.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Firefox 57.0
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
You can add the bookmarks menu icon to the bar with right click/customize.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
57 versions and they still can't get it right?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
Word is that many add-ons and extensions (such as Classic Theme Restorer) won't work with version 57. I'm on the ESR channel and I don't allow automatic updates, so until there's a way to keep version 57 looking and working the way I like it, I'll be staying with 52.x.x ESR.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
That business of "updates" screwing up one's preferences drives me up the wall. (Win 7 and don't suggest Linux variations.  That also drives me up the wall.)

Dammit, Bill, I want this font and that screen resolution and quit defaulting me over.

Default you, Bill!

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »
This may help: http://torrentinvites.org/f24/customize-firefox-57-classic-theme-restorer-335850/

Don't be fooled by the title. Classic Theme Restorer does NOT work with version 57, but this other GUI mod suite allows tweaking the user interface -- and they specifically mention bookmarks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
It auto-installed today. It seems to be faster than the last couple of 56 updates, which had been really irritating me by sucking up system resources. So far the biggest irritation I've found in 57.0 is WTF did they do with bookmarks? I may just need to get used to it, but they really mangled where all my bookmarks are. I've got to click like three times to get to what once was all in a dropdown menu.

Just found it. Right-click customize, then look in the available icons. There is a little star one called "bookmarks menu", drag it up into your toolbar and click done in the bottom right.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
57 versions and they still can't get it right?

Sounds like the "NEW!"  "BETTER!"  "NOW WITH DEHYDRATED WATER!" mentality of the sales department took over the engineering department.

Change for the sake of change, or in response to other companies' changes for the sake of changes.  How do you spell tautological?

:mad:

This post is now "IMPROVED!" and at the "CUTTING EDGE" of bullshittery.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

<cue sound of galloping hoofbeats receding into the distance>
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:25:30 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Mine didn't mess with my preferences.  I used the sidebar.  The main thing I noticed is it moved the refresh button over to the left similar to Chrome. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »
Just found it. Right-click customize, then look in the available icons. There is a little star one called "bookmarks menu", drag it up into your toolbar and click done in the bottom right.

Cool - thanks!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »

Firefox on Mint Linux jumped to 57.0 yesterday or the day before (I forget). 

Some things in the address bar area got moved to unexpected places.  One of my add-ons survived.  I have the menu bar enabled (for a more classic drop down menu interface), and that doesn't appear to have changed.  So my bookmarks are right where I expect them to be.

I'll miss the "Ant Video Downloader" add on, but there are alternatives, and they'll probably have a compatible version if I wait long enough.

The new tab page works differently.  Hopefully it's more stable now.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:10 PM »
Saw my first ever TV commercial for Firefox last night.  Guess they're doing fairly well with donations.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
Speaking of Firefox, be on the lookout for bogus Firefox update screens.  I've had a few pop up on various websites lately, mostly well known news organizations.  I imagine they would load ransomware or other nasties on your machine.  The darn things look close enough to, while nothing like actual Firefox update reminders, look legit enough that they are likely fool less savy folks.

edited to clarify legitimacy statement.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:35:13 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
^
I imagine they would load ransomware or other nasties on your machine.  The darn things look close enough to legit that they likely fool less savvy folks.

What makes you think the "legit" ones don't?  [tinfoil]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
^
What makes you think the "legit" ones don't?  [tinfoil]

Hopefully the Mozilla folks are keeping that kind of crap out of their products.  If they didn't, I'm sure word would get out pretty quickly.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
Well, after a few days (and figuring out bookmarks), this seems much better than the last few iterations of 56. Though I can't help but wonder if Firefox hobbled those releases so that we'd all say, "Wow 57 is way better!"  :laugh:

I'm still trying to get used to going to the left side for "home". Also, while I don't hear my fan starting up like the last few releases of 56,  I notice it still sucks up over a gig of memory between the four or so "sections" that appear in task manager. So faster, but still sucks up resources IMO. I have 16GB, so it's not bad for me, but for people with 4gig, that's a good chunk of their available memory.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Well, after a few days (and figuring out bookmarks), this seems much better than the last few iterations of 56. Though I can't help but wonder if Firefox hobbled those releases so that we'd all say, "Wow 57 is way better!"  :laugh:

I'm still trying to get used to going to the left side for "home". Also, while I don't hear my fan starting up like the last few releases of 56,  I notice it still sucks up over a gig of memory between the four or so "sections" that appear in task manager. So faster, but still sucks up resources IMO. I have 16GB, so it's not bad for me, but for people with 4gig, that's a good chunk of their available memory.

That's disappointing to hear. I guess I'll have to spring for a computer upgrade sooner rather than later.

Does the Noscript add-on still work with 57?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »
Does the Noscript add-on still work with 57?

Not yet. There's supposed to be a working version out in the next few days, though.

ETA: And by next few days, I mean today:

https://noscript.net/getit

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:21:11 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth