Author Topic: Uh-Oh, Some JO (Junior Oficer) headed to the boat  (Read 4394 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Uh-Oh, Some JO (Junior Oficer) headed to the boat
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:25 AM »
When did they put the kibosh on supersonic over,the US? When I was a wee lad dad was stationed at NAS  Fallon(Naval Auxiliary Air Staion at the time) with the Air Force. Sonic booms were a multiple times a day event.
That would have been the late '60s.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
There's a difference between the US where people want to live and Fallon.  =D I've got great news though, place probably hasn't changed much since you were there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
When did they put the kibosh on supersonic over,the US? When I was a wee lad dad was stationed at NAS  Fallon(Naval Auxiliary Air Staion at the time) with the Air Force. Sonic booms were a multiple times a day event.
That would have been the late '60s.

Plenty of supersonic corridors, mostly out west or over the water, but it's not widely allowed everywhere.
Fallon is surrounded by ranges, it's probably allowed out there still, not much out there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
There's a difference between the US where people want to live and Fallon.

And here I was thinking of doing my final move to Fallon, either that or Pahrump. Neither one is exactly a garden spot. :)

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
And here I was thinking of doing my final move to Fallon, either that or Pahrump. Neither one is exactly a garden spot. :)

bob

Pahrump has a pyramid scheme gun club and long, straight, flat roads which are good for setting speed records.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
Huh. Until you guys brought it up, I didn't even realize that I can't think of the last time I heard a sonic boom. Used to hear them regularly as a kid when I lived 20-60 miles from offshore whiskeys and an NAS and AFB.

I think maybe the last time I heard a boom was the space shuttle coming into Edwards.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
Still plenty of supersonic out in Fallon. We used to slick up one aggressor bird with no tanks or pylons and when the students were well and truly occupied at 10K with the rest of the bogies this one would zorch in from 40K at 1.5mach.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Still plenty of supersonic out in Fallon. We used to slick up one aggressor bird with no tanks or pylons and when the students were well and truly occupied at 10K with the rest of the bogies this one would zorch in from 40K at 1.5mach.

I've driven past Fallon on numerous occasions, and there may have been some booms that I didn't hear because I had the music up too high.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:35:07 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
Pahrump has a pyramid scheme gun club and long, straight, flat roads which are good for setting speed records.

And those are the reasons Pahrump has a substantial lead in retirement destinations. ;) :)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »
A little late to express my appreciation:

"This may cause trouble now, but consider the long term economics. They will never have to pay for a drink again. And if Mattis says he didn't laugh a little, lies!"

:rofl: and thanks.

After all, it takes some daring-do and leg rocks to fly one of those things into battle.

First sonic booms I heard were after I moved out to CO, early 60s, from NYC, with its dozens of airports.  Never took notes as to when they quit out here, though.  (I believe I may have heard one or two after that while camping up on the Pawnee Grasslands at night, though.)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:01:10 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
You know, this seems like much ado about nothing... I don't think these men deserve any punishment... if I had seen that it would have made my whole day.   =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
You know, this seems like much ado about nothing... I don't think these men deserve any punishment... if I had seen that it would have made my whole day.   =D

It made the whole day of those being outraged, too.  People love being outraged; it's our national pastime.  Because Trump or something.
"It's good, though..."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Huh. Until you guys brought it up, I didn't even realize that I can't think of the last time I heard a sonic boom. Used to hear them regularly as a kid when I lived 20-60 miles from offshore whiskeys and an NAS and AFB.

I think maybe the last time I heard a boom was the space shuttle coming into Edwards.

Last Tuesday. Happens here every once in  a while. Don't know if they're supposed to but it's kept over the mountains & no one seems to notice. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 02:03:27 PM »
It made the whole day of those being outraged, too.  People love being outraged; it's our national pastime.  Because Trump or something.

That's why I was wondering who actually complained.  Probably from seeing it online, though, since the actual trails wouldn't have lasted all that long.  Good thing nobody was filming a Western movie somewhere, with that in the sky.  Or a romantic movie.

But yeah, because Trump or something.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.