Author Topic: Free or Cheap Scrap Metal?  (Read 1688 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Free or Cheap Scrap Metal?
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
What are good sources for free or dirt cheap scrap metal, preferably mild steel? I'm just looking for odds and ends and bits and pieces to practice welding on, so nothing of size that might otherwise be useable for other stuff (and thus maybe more expensive). Just focussing on what others might consider "throwaways". Specifically thinner stuff - 18 gauge to 3/16, but maybe some 1/4" as well. I only have a Handler 140, so 1/4" is its rated max with multiple passes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Free or Cheap Scrap Metal?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
Drops at the steel yard for cheap odds and ends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
Yep. Drops are a great source for low volume metal.

I got 6 ft of brass round stock today for the per pound scrap price because it was a drop.

A good yard will let you go poke around their drop racks and pick what you want.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »
Brass stock? What size? Sounds like it would be good for making some brass drifts

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
Yep, drops are great, not just scrap yards, find a local machine or Fab shop, ask them. I buy my stainless drops at work, but other metal is often free there. Beat up CNC vise jaws? Why no, we will not throw high quality steel away when I am there. Last week I got the worn tailstock shaft from the lathe I run, hardened polished steel, next stop jewelry anvil. I also save all car axles and springs I get near.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:13:48 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »
Keep your eyes open.  Old brake rotors, bits of steel pipe, bed frames, etc.   Any kind of big trash pickup days are good shopping opportunities, although you'll be competing with scrappers.

Put the word out in your friend circle.  Many times people consider it a favor if you'll haul off an old water heater, dead air compressor,  junked push mower, etc for free!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
Keep your eyes open.  Old brake rotors, bits of steel pipe, bed frames, etc.   Any kind of big trash pickup days are good shopping opportunities, although you'll be competing with scrappers.

Put the word out in your friend circle.  Many times people consider it a favor if you'll haul off an old water heater, dead air compressor,  junked push mower, etc for free!

Are bed frames plain old steel? I thought they were galvanized? I think I might have a line on an old bed frame or two.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »
The bed frames I've seen aren't galvanized, but they've been hard as hell.  One took all the teeth off a 36" bandsaw blade.  Still have a workbench I made in the early '80's out of 4 driveshafts and some bed frame, and it's been outside it's entire life.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
The bed frames I've seen aren't galvanized, but they've been hard as hell.  One took all the teeth off a 36" bandsaw blade.  Still have a workbench I made in the early '80's out of 4 driveshafts and some bed frame, and it's been outside it's entire life.

Some googling lead me to a welding forum where "hard as hell" was confirmed. Apparently very high carbon content? Guys were talking about drill bits breaking.

I've confirmed I can grab one bed frame for sure, so I'll just have to figure the best way to cut it. Maybe just sacrifice some sawzall blades?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »
Interesting, it's probably been 15 years since I messed with one.  I did cut it with an abrasive chop saw.

Ben, how about using a cutoff disc in an angle grinder?  If you don't already have one, a 4.5 inch angle grinder will earn it's keep, and the cut off discs are cheap and reasonably good at Harbor Freight.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
Interesting, it's probably been 15 years since I messed with one.  I did cut it with an abrasive chop saw.

Ben, how about using a cutoff disc in an angle grinder?  If you don't already have one, a 4.5 inch angle grinder will earn it's keep, and the cut off discs are cheap and reasonably good at Harbor Freight.

Good call. I actually bought a Porter Cable grinder at Tractor Supply for a ridiculous sale price - like $17 or thereabouts. I've already used it for welding practice and the couple of actual projects I did (really helped improve the appearance of my ugly welds!   :laugh: ), and for 17 bucks I just can't complain. I'll hit the Harbor Freight for cutoff discs.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Can't go wrong for $17.  I have some cheapie grinders that have held up surprisingly well.  It's one of the only tools that I routinely wear bushes out in.

Please do wear safety glasses, or better, a face shield.  Also, I've found that I get better life from the cutoff discs if I use them to score and deepen a line on the metal until I'm through, verses plunging it in and using the edge of the wheel to make a full thickness cut.  Hopefully that makes sense?

Be careful if you have a substantial amount of the wheel stuck through a cut - a bit of misalignment can cause the wheel to grab and eat itself.

Okay, I'll quit moming you  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »
Can't go wrong for $17.  I have some cheapie grinders that have held up surprisingly well.  It's one of the only tools that I routinely wear bushes out in.

Please do wear safety glasses, or better, a face shield.  Also, I've found that I get better life from the cutoff discs if I use them to score and deepen a line on the metal until I'm through, verses plunging it in and using the edge of the wheel to make a full thickness cut.  Hopefully that makes sense?

Be careful if you have a substantial amount of the wheel stuck through a cut - a bit of misalignment can cause the wheel to grab and eat itself.

Okay, I'll quit moming you  :lol:

Nah, I appreciate the pointers. :)

I've already been wearing my welding helmet with safety glasses underneath. Both because I'm getting more cautious with age, and am not sure if a $17 grinder is going to explode*.  :laugh:

*Once it does give out, I'll spring for a quality grinder. Though on the reviews on this one, apparently some guys buy the $10 replacement insurance and just get a new one every year. :)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
Are bed frames plain old steel? I thought they were galvanized? I think I might have a line on an old bed frame or two.

Probably rerolled railroad rails but could be anything.  Give it the spark test.  Maybe 1065 or 1070 carbon steel?
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
The grinder won't explode but cutting disks are known for exploding. Always inspect for before use

https://youtu.be/hq6q2ycIEuM you should watch this safety video :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
Speaking of funny videos, while looking for stuff to do with bed frames , I found this one. I'm sure he sets up all his mistakes (given his channel's name) but it's all the kind of dumbass crap I find myself doing when working on something, so especially funny to me.  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsFvOZRdQA

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
I have a great relationship with the local scrapyard. Because of insurance and liability concerns they prohibit "picking" but I show up around closing time on Saturdays with smoked deer sausage and a 6 pack and they choose not to notice me prize hunting. Besides useful scrap for my wind bells and scrap art projects I snagged a like new 5" machinists vice made in USA Wilton not some chicom crap either. Also got the SSQA loader adaptor for my tractor aka a $650 part. Score!
Deer sausage and beer is the lingua franca of the local scrapyard. I also take treats for the dogs so they don't tear my ass off.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 09:55:07 PM »

Some of the really old stuff is closer to cast iron than steel.

As to angle grinders, I bought a Makita 4" grinder back about 1987 or so, still kicking along after years of use and abuse and still on the original brushes. I wonder if they still make them that good?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »
As to angle grinders, I bought a Makita 4" grinder back about 1987 or so, still kicking along after years of use and abuse and still on the original brushes. I wonder if they still make them that good?

Back in that era, it was Milwaukee hole shooter for your drill, Skil 77 for your saw, and Makita for your grinder. I have both the drill and the saw, and I think both will outlive me. Sadly, I never got around to buying the Makita.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
Metabo if you run an angle grinder everyday, Makita if not. Once you become a scrap hound you see it everywhere. Glad I don't live in the city anymore with large trash day, I get enough Fred Sanford stories as is. Somebody I know put away about $40K scrapping one winter, that was just their cut, let the scrappers come in and take it for commission. So I survey the vast plains of junk and ask what they took. I really couldn't tell the difference.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Ha! Score! I was out tooling around on my 4wheeler today and swung by my cousin's dumpin' hole. I scored around 3sqft of 1/4" and 1/8" (mostly 1/4) in a half dozen small pieces that looked like cutting torch leftovers. The 1/4" is at the high range of my welder, but I'll still be able to get some practice in, albeit with lots of cooldown time in between sessions. All pretty darn rusty, but a little grinder/wire wheel elbow grease will take care of it. Small price to pay for free.

He also had a half dozen 1/8"x8"x20' lengths of pipe in the same condition, but they wouldn't fit on the 4 wheeler.  :laugh:  If I owned a plasma cutter, I might have been tempted to cut off a bunch of 4" or so lengths so I could practice pipe welding.