Author Topic: Turkey day plans?  (Read 2409 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Turkey day plans?
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »
How's everyone celebrating Thanksgiving?

We're staying in town but eating with friends and their family.
Weather looks good, I'm expecting to get in a 2 hour ride in the morning too.  Burning calories off before the eating and drinking commences!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Turkey day plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
Spending it with special lady friends family.

I'm smoking turkey's for it today.  Two 12 lb birds.  For her family and extended family.  No pressure!  =)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Wife's aunt's house as per our usual. We typically spend turkey day and Christmas Eve with her dad's side of the family at her aunt's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
Get up early, head to my brothers. Set up popup deer blinds in the AM for December gun season. Chainsaw out shooting lanes.

Eat lunch with his wife and my wife. Try to be back home by 2pm and head to the deer stand.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
Hosting dinner for my Mom and the in-laws.  Wife may or may not feel up to helping with dinner.  I'm cool either way, I love it when I get to do larger scale cooking.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
Same as always, except a little less festive since my mom and niece (and Romy) have passed. My nephew-in-law is a good guy, and his Mexican family doesn't do much for Tday, so he's coming up here with my grand niece for a couple of days so she can ride her electric four wheeler around the farm and play with the chickens and stuff.

I would normally also go dove hunting, but there's practically no dove population this year, and I just can't bring myself to go without Romy.

Man. That's a bit more depressing than I wanted to come off.

I hope everyone in the APS family has a great Thanksgiving though! :)

Oh, we're also supposed to have record breaking temps - probably close to 80. Which kinda sucks, because usually one of my favorite things is the Tday fire in the wood stove. This year, I might be turning on the AC.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
Front brakes and oil change on the truck. Maybe some time at the reloading bench. I like to have something to do on holidays because generally, the more members of my family get together, the bigger the argument.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
How's everyone celebrating Thanksgiving?

We're staying in town but eating with friends and their family.
Weather looks good, I'm expecting to get in a 2 hour ride in the morning too.  Burning calories off before the eating and drinking commences!

Everyone to my sister's house, ~30 miles away, eat and talk.

My son says he'll be there, which will be nice, since we tend to not see him for long stretches.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
Staying home just me and the wife. Since mom died last month and my sister has been driving a lot for last few years she wanted to stay at her home and have her adult kids come there.
I'm going to rework some cabinets and counter in the laundry room and hopefully do some bowhunting for the deer I haven't had time to shoot.
8 pound turkey breast slow smoked in the charcoal fired pit barrel cooker and whatever wife does in the kitchen.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »

Just me, the missus, the dog, and possibly a flock of wild turkeys that have decided to hang out in our neighborhood.  Which is convenient.   >:D
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
I took today off and my wife should be arriving home soon from a half-day of school.  We are then loading up the dog, food, and heading for the Edmonds-Kingston ferry to go to my wife's sister's home on Bainbridge Island.  They have been hosting Thanksgiving for the past few years.  We were assigned to bring the green bean casserole and sweet potato pudding this year.  The worst part about the event is that we have to wait several hours in the ferry line both going to and from. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »
We just arrived in SW VA to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws.  I packed my Encore 35 Whelen carbine and some blaze orange and will spend part of the day wondering around a nearby WMA looking for a buck.  My effort will be half-hearted as I don't think I want to deal with butchering and packing this weekend.  It'll be more about walking around the woods with a gun. :)

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
It'll be more about walking around the woods with a gun. :)

Chris

Always a good thing to do. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
Still deciding; cousins are doing the usual Thanksgiving, but nobody's coming from out of town for it, so just the ones I see fairly regularly anyway.  If I ride out there, that would be 10 miles each way toward burning off the turkey, though.  Alternative is mom's church is doing a Thanksgiving activity that's more likely to have a few friends I haven't seen in years, and possibly more deviled eggs than the cousins.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »
Dinner with friends. Glad I don't have to travel anymore.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
First Thanksgiving in the brand new house and kitchen.  Should have a bunch of guests.  Wife burned muffins on Sunday, so we're calibrating the ovens by sacrificing a couple of roasts.  Found out both ovens are over 100 degrees off (250=350, 350=480).  I hope everything goes OK.  We'll be calling the stove manufacturer on Friday.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
That's too bad about the ovens, must have been built on Monday morning. ;)

If set at 250 and was really 480 I could tell you the problem, you have European stoves.... but that isn't quite the temp diff.

bob

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 03:27:04 AM »
Oh man.....   I'm still not sure what I've gotten myself into....    But tomorrow we're going to have 28 people in my house.  16 adults, 12 kids...   

24 lb turkey, and if I remember correctly about a 10-12 lb ham.  Couple pans of sausage cornbread stuffing, and the rest of the fixins....   Looking forward to the chaos and insanity....   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
We used to have family gathering like that when I was a kid. Anywhere between 15 and 20 people.

Everyone came to our house because we had a huge house and a huge dining room to handle it. Still not sure how my mother pulled it all off over the years.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Took my sweet time getting going this morning.  Just finished a 19 mile ride, 1600' of climbing, a couple very nice gravel sections including a grueling climb on gravel.
Time to get a shower and go get fat!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Went to work. Cleaned up dog *expletive deleted*it. Boss was late because she actually overslept for a change, which I thought was funny.

Just chilling now, until 2 when I'll head over to the farm for dinner with the boss's and whoever else shows up. Hopefully I won't be partially deafened this year because I end up sitting next to the boss's sister and the Redskins do something they shouldn't during a football game. I won't really care even if I am deafened. The food will be glorious.

Dad's already gone out to his pick of the yearly invites. He's hitting up his friend Lou and family this year.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
Turkey is in the electric roaster; it's about time to check on it.  Pie is in the oven.  Broccoli is cut up ready to steam.  I need to go find a heat gun to brown the turkey skin, and a can of cranberry sauce...

No stuffing/dressing this year.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
Dinner won't be until 6:30 because DIL had to work.  I think we have the new stove dialed in enough to get by.  Mostly just my family this year, about 20 people.  We're having a get together at mom's retirement home on Saturday.  My sister from NY and brother from NM will be there, along with a bunch of cousins who want to see mom.  Then we'll probably come out here and give grand tours of the house.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
Served a metric ton of meals at the USO.