Author Topic: Closed-Minded Global Warmers  (Read 1277 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Closed-Minded Global Warmers
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
I did my normal routine of Sunday morning blood pressure exercise by reading the local rag from where I used to live. The below article on "What will the wine industry do?" is, I thought, a perfect example "snipping the graph" so to speak. They are asking how vineyards in the region will "handle climate change". Implying that a change in climate could destroy the local wine industry.

Guess what morons? If you travel 100 miles inland, there are thousands and thousands of acres of grapes being profitably grown. In Summer temperatures that break 100 deg for weeks on end, and in Winters that get below freezing. Guess what morons? If you travel to Oregon, there are thousands of acres of grapes being grown in cooler temperatures. Same (to my surprise) in Idaho. Likely the same in many other environments in the US, let alone the world.

But this is how the acolytes of the false god attract new members. Just like one of the other things they do along the entire CA coast. Every year they get "citizen scientists" to go out and take pictures when the king tides occur (when due to astronomical forces, tides reach their highest points). The lead acolytes then distribute those images throughout the MSM, where they talk about the destruction of climate change. They never show pictures from the next week, when tides are negative one meter. Pick your convenient start and end point for numbers, pick your convenient start and end point for geography. Pick your convenient start and end point for time.

https://www.independent.com/news/2017/nov/25/climate-change-and-wine-country/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
Re: Closed-Minded Global Warmers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
The hysteria is in full bloom in the Florida Keys.  They were posting pics recently from king tides and gloomily talking about when the Keys will no longer exist, only as a reef.
We have terrific Michigan wines.  A lot of wineries up around Traverse City in the north and a bunch in southwest Michigan around Benton Harbor.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
For about a decade Oklahoma had a fast growing wine industry. It wasn't climate that killed it off it was government regulation that basically prevented the wineries from selling their product other than through a distributor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
The hysteria is in full bloom in the Florida Keys.  They were posting pics recently from king tides and gloomily talking about when the Keys will no longer exist, only as a reef.
We have terrific Michigan wines.  A lot of wineries up around Traverse City in the north and a bunch in southwest Michigan around Benton Harbor.

Michiganders NEED those good wines (I'm partial to Leelenau Cellars myself) to survive the horrendous winters! (says the guy thoroughly enjoying the NC weather, mid to high 60's most of the week)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »
Speaking of wine growing locales, imagine my surprise when I found out they grow grapes in parts of Canada. I guess they need something up there to make Ice Wine out of. ;)

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »
And yet they continue to ignore the clear evidence that HFCS causes traffic deaths:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
No fewer than three international award-winning wineries within 45 miles of Lubbock where summer temps regularly top triple digits and occasionally the one-teens. Winter temps in low teens are common and we occasionally have minus numbers. Annual rainfall is about 18 in. per year.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »
OP:
"The below article on 'What will the wine industry do?' is, I thought, a perfect example 'snipping the graph,' so to speak."

Speaking of clipping the ordinate, take the wild, wild  variations shown by the 400,000 year temperature graph and superimpose it on a scale that actually goes to zero (−459.67°F).

It will show how amazingly steady the earth's temperature has been for almost half a billion years.

:-)  :rofl:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:15 AM »
Michiganders NEED those good wines (I'm partial to Leelenau Cellars myself) to survive the horrendous winters! (says the guy thoroughly enjoying the NC weather, mid to high 60's most of the week)

We take a trip now and then up to Omena and pick up a case of Leelanau Cellars wine.  Then we have a lunch of fresh Lake Michigan perch at Knot Just A Bar run by Leelanau Cellars.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw