Author Topic: Something to ponder about smartphones  (Read 2054 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Something to ponder about smartphones
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
Here is a link of what a phone costs to make vs retail price.

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Something to ponder about smartphones
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Here is a link of what a phone costs to make vs retail price.

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

Thanks for that. I was always curious, especially for  the vendor "break even" when they do the two year contract thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
From the article:

The production cost is based on teardown of the device, analysis of specs and information from suppliers. The most costly parts are often the core electronics, display, memory, and camera.

Errr... care to include shipping, advertising, software development/optimization, other overhead?

That's a rather barebones "production cost" estimate there.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
I wonder how much of that is unit vs fixed cost?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
Errr... care to include shipping, advertising, software development/optimization, other overhead?

All rather tricky to define; a lot of advertising is fairly unnecessary, and software optimization is commonly done all wrong.

How many iPhone 10s could have been sold by just including a "10 is coming" splash screen in iOS updates, with no other marketing?

Does anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together really think all the Android-based phone manufacturers constantly screwing with how SD cards are handled is even a remotely worthwhile expense?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Contractually obligated indeed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
All rather tricky to define; a lot of advertising is fairly unnecessary, and software optimization is commonly done all wrong.

How many iPhone 10s could have been sold by just including a "10 is coming" splash screen in iOS updates, with no other marketing?

Does anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together really think all the Android-based phone manufacturers constantly screwing with how SD cards are handled is even a remotely worthwhile expense?
On advertising, I would say the same thing about most TV advertising especially since these days most people record shows and skip through commercials.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
Considering that you can buy off-brand Android smart phones on Amazon for $29, and unlocked versions for $49, I don't believe it really costs Samsung $250 to $350 to produce their phones. Are the Samsungs nicer than the $29 phones? Yes, they are -- but we're only talking production cost, not bells, whistles, and tweaks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »
Contractually obligated indeed.

I was thinking the same thing  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
Why all the angst? Most consumer goods are hideously inflated if you consider only the "production cost".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
Why all the angst? Most consumer goods are hideously inflated if you consider only the "production cost".

Brad

many have a longer shelf life than a cell phone too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »
On advertising, I would say the same thing about most TV advertising especially since these days most people record shows and skip through commercials.

And a lot of them are for high-brand-loyalty items that people aren't going to abandon their regular brand of just because the competition has a funnier commercial.  I really have to wonder, for example, how many sales Budweiser would actually lose if they never advertised again vs. their marketing budget.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Something to ponder about smartphones
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »
And a lot of them are for high-brand-loyalty items that people aren't going to abandon their regular brand of just because the competition has a funnier commercial.  I really have to wonder, for example, how many sales Budweiser would actually lose if they never advertised again vs. their marketing budget.
IIRC, advertising on things like beer are mostly for capturing new customers, not switching entrenched competitor customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
The factory and the costs to operate it cost money, Labor costs money, shipping the parts in and finished goods out cost money.  R&D, sales overhead,

The story doesn't even begin to cover all the costs associated with manufacturing smart phones.  Especially when you consider all the functions included  in one hand held device.   At under $500 it's one of the best bargains in human history.  And if you don't need the latest and greatest, they can be dirt cheap on the reconditioned market. I paid $60 for my Kyocera.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »

I do love the commercials with the Clydesdales, but that still does not get me to drink Bud.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
IIRC, advertising on things like beer are mostly for capturing new customers, not switching entrenched competitor customers.

Mailing coupons to frat houses seems a lot cheaper, and that's where most of their new business comes from anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »
Mailing coupons to frat houses seems a lot cheaper, and that's where most of their new business comes from anyway.

The fail with that is many are becoming dry houses.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »
I was thinking more about the vast number of Chevy commercials I have seen this year.  If you are in the market for a new truck, are you going to skip over Chevy/GMC because you haven't seen a commercial lately?  Back when they were threatening to go out of business, I remember hearing their annual advertising budget was a good chunk of the money they owed and I wondered why they didn't cut back advertising.  It isn't like everyone would forget about their trucks if they stopped running ads for a couple years.  Or maybe just cut back to just radio or other less expensive advertising. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:42:52 AM »
Looks like a profit margin around that of Jewellry.

Also, the profit margins on a lot of stuff from China is actually pretty similar.  They aren't passing the savings off to you, well, some of it is eaten by increased returns, advertising, and such.

That's why harbor freight and amazon can offer free shipping on so much.  Especially for high value high density items.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 06:10:35 AM »
Companies with large, long-established brands can surf on that for a little while, but ultimately advertising works. If it didn’t, companies would drop it as soon as they could.  I work with a company that does mail campaigns for businesses - especially restaurants. Even when they can demonstrate from the clients' own numbers a consistent net 2:1, 4:1 or even 6:1 ROI it can be hard to get them to maintain budgets. They really don’t like spending the money, but when they don’t maintain campaigns their numbers take a huge hit and they come running back.

Could Apple launch a new phone with a minimalist campaign, or Chevy skip a year of ads?  Sure, but sales would almost certainly be significantly weaker, and almost certainly would result in lost net profits.

As far as profit margin, take a look at clothes sometime. The unit markup on that industry is enormous.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:36:15 AM by cordex »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

60% margin on BOM and manufacturing is actually pretty slim. Software development, backend IT support (ie the cloud stuff), warranty, QA, R&D, logistics, compliance, legal teams and every other ancillary cost add up quick. I'm guessing they make a decent but not supreme profit off the phones, and make their bank off accessories. Just like everyone else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.