Author Topic: Eastern NC biscuits  (Read 7994 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Eastern NC biscuits
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
I to find the frozen option to be MUCH better than the tube.

That said, I also like making my own. No real recipe, it's a by feel and sight operation. Lard, buttermilk, self rising flour.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
No real recipe, it's a by feel and sight operation. Lard, buttermilk, self rising flour.

That's how my grandmother made them, which is why I didn't have a recipe, only some notes I took while watching her (and later lost).  The notes wouldn't capture the "by feel" part.  She used AP flour and baking powder (Clabber Girl, the name sticks in my head).

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
I strongly suggest you use a kitchen scale and weigh your ingredients; especially the flour.  Use measuring cups or scoops the first time, weigh what you got.  Next time just use the scales and make whatever adjustments based on how they turned out last time.  "Two and a half cups of flour" can vary quite a bit from one batch to the next. 

Grandma was probably practiced enough to adjust the lard and milk on the fly (and not even know she was doing it); you're not and probably never will be, no offense.  The precise amounts of salt and baking powder are not critical, you just have to be close with those.

I used to have a knack for making biscuits, and I lost it by not baking them for a few years.  And I don't cook them often enough to get it back.  Frozen biscuits are so good now, it's annoying ;)
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
I strongly suggest you use a kitchen scale and weigh your ingredients; especially the flour.  Use measuring cups or scoops the first time, weigh what you got.  Next time just use the scales and make whatever adjustments based on how they turned out last time.  "Two and a half cups of flour" can vary quite a bit from one batch to the next. 

Grandma was probably practiced enough to adjust the lard and milk on the fly (and not even know she was doing it); you're not and probably never will be, no offense.  The precise amounts of salt and baking powder are not critical, you just have to be close with those.

What measurements would I use though?  There are no "by weight" measurements for these biscuits.  Even the volume-based measurements are more approximations than precise measurements.  I do know what the dough texture and flavor should be. 

I'm not arguing against weighing, it's a valid technique for baking.  But in this case what I'm trying to achieve isn't going to benefit from weighing at least until I work out the ratios and my technique.  Weighing will aid in repeatability after the other factors are resolved.

FWIW, I'm not unhappy with the results I'm getting now.  They're good.  I like them and my family raves about them.  I'm hunting a white whale at this point.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
That's why I said weigh whatever you measure out by volume the first time, then that becomes the recipe that you adjust as you go.  The dough handling technique is probably as important as the ratios of ingredients.  That's the part that I've forgotten how to do  :'(  I either work the dough too much when I roll them out, or not enough if I try to make "drop biscuits".
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
Finally got around to making some of the Frozen Grands. Holy crap are they good. Much better than the tube ones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »
I made a big batch of my biscuits for my parents (in the very kitchen my grandmother would make them my entire life), as well as a normal batch for my inlaws while visiting family the last 8 days.

Thumbs up all around.  :)

Chris

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
This recipe I worked up for cooking the biscuits in a Dutch oven at camp.  Works fine at home too, baking them in the over.   I have yet to find a better biscuit.  No offense intended toward anyone's grandma.   :)    I don't weigh.  Most of the time I don't measure.  I  portion the ingredients and mix by eye and feel.    just like my grandma did.  
Buttermilk Biscuits Version III

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold lard, or  cold Butter
1 Cup cold buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients. Sift together three times
Chop  the cold lard or  butter into small chunks and use a fork to blend it into the flour.
Add the buttermilk, and mix well.  Dough should have a moist consistency.
Place dough on a floured surface.
knead the dough a few times, then form it into a ball.  
By hand, gently press into a thick slab, then fold over three times.
Roll gently, to get a thickness of 3/4 inch.  Cut the biscuits with a biscuit cutter.  Place on a sheet pan, with the biscuits touching   Bake in a preheated 450F oven.  About 8 minutes in, brush tops with buttermilk or butter.

Bake till golden brown..

To bake biscuits in a Dutch Oven:
Cut out biscuits and place into a pre-heated 10, or 12" Dutch Oven.   Try using 15 briquettes on top, 10 below.